air horn recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air horn recommendations?

Can anybody recommend an air horn for my Champ that actually sounds like a big rig or locomotive?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

In the 70's I found a set of vacuum horns, which I installed on my Corvair. They are very loud, just like semi truck air horns. I haven't seen any since then. They are the same size as air horns, but don't require any compressor. I just ran a vacuum hose to the engine and plumbed in a vacuum solenoid off some 70's GM car, then wired the solenoid wire to the horn relay.

Comment

I have used six volt horns on 12 volt cars (in addition to the stock 12V horns). They are really loud that way.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wolo or Kleinn, Google them for what you want. Don't tell your neighbors I told you. Bob

Comment

I bought some air horns on ebay for my GMC Duramax brand new, removed from a GM Topkick. IIRC, they were about $30 usd a couple of years ago. I saw lots to choose from, but if you are getting real big rig style horns you will need an on board compressor and tank, they require lots of pressure and cfm.

Comment

Working...
          X