UniSteer Power Rack & Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UniSteer Power Rack & Pinion

One of the guys in our car club here has just acquired a Power Rack & Pinion for his '57 Chevrolet Car from a company called UNISTEER. It looks to be really substantial with heavy duty brackets for mounting to existing frame locations for the box and idler arm. I'll keep you all posted as to how it works out with an IDIDIT column. Does anyone know if there are similarities in frames or steering linkage between the Chev and our Studebakers?
    I'm just looking for options for us. (2.5 turns lock to lock!)
    UniSteer® Performance Products is a manufacturer of specialty steering systems and components for street rods, classic cars & muscle cars as well a large variety of custom vehicles. UniSteer® Performance is a division of Maval Industries, supported Maval’s stellar manufacturing, engineering, and R&D capabilities.

Bill

Not even close. From what I understand, a rack and pinion for the Studebakers is some what difficult to get right...

Comment

This is the best picture I could find of an OEM 57 Chevrolet steering setup. Note the tie rod length (close to the A-arm pivot points) and compare that with a Studebaker setup. There's a lot of discussion on the forum on why the 57 R&P unit you showed will work on a Chevy but not a Stude.

Bob

Comment

That looks a lot like the 50 Champion.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

What about this setup?
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I know that Studebaker attempted to make a mechanical power steering assembly but it ended in failure. Beyond that, I don't know much about power steering and our beloved Studes.
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Working...
            X