1953 Studebaker race engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Studebaker race engine

J.C. Agajanian invested $225,000 to have this engine designed and built.

Yep, a work of art!

Craig

Comment

Did they really cut that block for display purposes?
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Its not cut, just displayed in an "exploded" view.

JK

Comment

Here's a few of the pics I took of that motor at Speedy Bills during the Omaha meet in 2006...

Pretty much jewelry!
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here is an exploded view of the-ONE AND ONLY- 342 CI experimental engine
            Attached Files

Comment

How efficient or not were those cast iron headers?
              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I need to get to Lincoln early on a Tuesday morning ad see the Speedway museum.

Last night I was messaging with an old buddy and I confessed that one of the reasons I'm horrible at checking my texts is because most of them are spam from Speedway. No, I don't have any real use for a 30 over LS69 crate engine for the one time only closeout price of only $14439.95. Although I wonder if they do snag a sale or two each time they sent one of those texts out.
                1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                  How efficient or not were those cast iron headers?
                  They do little to nothing on a normally aspirated street 289-308" through the mufflers.

They may be of benefit on the supercharged engines, and with a R3 cam, especially when run with only a downpipe, as on a drag strip or at Bonneville.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                    I need to get to Lincoln early on a Tuesday morning ad see the Speedway museum.

Last night I was messaging with an old buddy and I confessed that one of the reasons I'm horrible at checking my texts is because most of them are spam from Speedway. No, I don't have any real use for a 30 over LS69 crate engine for the one time only closeout price of only $14439.95. Although I wonder if they do snag a sale or two each time they sent one of those texts out.
                    I'm not sure how to opt out of a text but I use an app named truecaller on my Android phone. It blocks known spam callers and texts and allows you to select any and all calls and texts you want to block. Life's to short to put up with that crap when the solution is free. I also use adblock genesis plus on my computer to accomplish the same feat on popup ads.

As a gesture to a fellow member for the advice, it would be nice if you sent the LS69 crate motor to me on your dime. I have several uses for that little devil.

Bob

Comment

That experimental 342 engine is the one with the Siamese bore casting isn't it?

Comment

This is my favorite 'experimental' engine:

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=greg+cone

Craig

Comment

Must have been one h_ _ _ of a high torque starter to twist off the crankshaft nose. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                            Must have been one h_ _ _ of a high torque starter to twist off the crankshaft nose. Yikes!
                            They also drove the oil pump off the nose of the crank, too...
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Without looking it up for the correct details, I remember that the front of the crankshaft had been repaired or modified with an extension welded on. That's what sheared as I remember.
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X