1953 Studebaker race engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
    Must have been one h_ _ _ of a high torque starter to twist off the crankshaft nose. Yikes!
    Some backstory, IIRC:
    Yes, it was the wrong starter, a very high torque WWII surplus aircraft engine unit.
    No, it wasn't just the starter. The lathe they used to make the crankshaft was a short bed unit, so the crankshaft was made without a snout, which was welded on later.
    Maybe, the welded snout would have been strong enough with just the running loads, but definitely was not sufficiently strong to withstand a cold start from a too-strong starter.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
      I need to get to Lincoln early on a Tuesday morning ad see the Speedway museum.

Last night I was messaging with an old buddy and I confessed that one of the reasons I'm horrible at checking my texts is because most of them are spam from Speedway. No, I don't have any real use for a 30 over LS69 crate engine for the one time only closeout price of only $14439.95. Although I wonder if they do snag a sale or two each time they sent one of those texts out.
      Do try to get down to Lincoln to visit the museum. I have been three times (I have family in Omaha so when visiting I try to run down to visit the museum) and enjoyed each visit. The first time I went was during the International Meet in Omaha. I was probably the best visit since I got to talk with Bill Smith himself. It was a lovely visit. Lots of great stories about his racing exploits.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
      X