No announcement yet.

57 Packard parts interchange with 53 K.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info. Had already planned on modifying the hood. Mine is kind of rough anyway, so I don't mind a hole in it with a tasteful scoop of some kind. Will wait until I cut the hole to decide on what type of scoop will look best.

Comment

Some of you have asked about a few parts. I have not forgotten you, just been buried. Missed two plus mos. of work because of a major surgery, and am still catching up.

I wanted to hear the engine run. Sherri and I spent the morning helping friends get a 34 Ford Street Rod (351W carbed Ford engine) running this morning. It was their recently deceased father's car, and has not run in many years. Wasn't much gas in the tank, but what was there smelled bad, but not horrible. I put in a few gallons of 100LL (helps to have connections at the local air port). The fuel pump diaphram had ruptured and dumped gas in the oil. Replaced fuel pump with an electric, changed the oil, replaced all the rotted fuel lines, and it ran. Pretty good, but noisy. Has electric cut outs in the exhaust to bypass the mufflers, and I didn't know where he put the switch!

Anyway after coming home, I figured I had what I needed to get the supercharged engine in the Packard started, so we went over and hooked up a temporary electric pump with a hose going into my container of what was left of the 100LL. She starts up and sounds great. Doesn't even smoke. Power steering even works. I had not personally heard it run, but took the seller's word for it. Dangerous I know, but he seemed to me to be a genuine "car guy" not just a flipper who spouts BS. Guess my instincts were correct.

In the meantime, back at the ranch, we just made a deal to buy an old warehouse building right behind our home in Guthrie. Way more room than I need, but easier than trying to build a shop in the historic district. Need to get my two post lift in there, along with some other equipment ASAP so I get get to work on my transplant. I believe I will start a brand new thread once the two cars (57 Clipper and 53 Hardtop) are side by side and I am ready to get started.

One question: I found a tag on the rear indicating a 3.31 rear gear (43 / 13). I did not see any other tags. Does the absence of a second tag mean it is likely NOT a TT rear?

I think the 53 has a 3.5 or so rear. Can't remember the numbers right now. I plead old age.

Hopefully next week I can go scout some more parts. I know somone wanted all the rear dual power antenna pieces. I am letting all of that soak in penetrating oil, so that I can remove with the least amount of damage possible. I need to make a tool to remove the bezels withoug putting plier teeth marks in them. They are about 1.6 inches in diameter, with two small holes 180 degrees apart.

).

Comment

A quick check on the rear, is to remove the filler plug, and stick your finger in. If it is a TT unit, the guts fill the case, and you will hit it easily with your finger. A non tt differential is harder to touch. (don't get a finger stuck)!!! Tags have been known to get lost.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X