No announcement yet.

57 Packard parts interchange with 53 K.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are of course, correct Rich. I was just counting the large ones. I did not look closely at the little pieces. There are 14.

Windshield is ALMOST a winner. Has one star chip that has not spread.

Radio is still there, as are all the gauges. Car has power steering and power brakes. Hoping (may be too much to ask) that is has a TT rear!
    Driver's window won't quite go all the way to the top, so water intrusion has cratered the front floor on the driver's side.

Comment

Looks like a neat project Please post pics as work progresses.

Comment

Unrelated (sort-of) comment. 20 yrs ago I bought a 58 Packard for $300 for parts. I started thinking maybe it wasn't so bad. Pulled engine and got it running. Cleaned the gravel out of the transmission. Scounged up enough brake parts to get them working and did a little body work.We still have and we LOVE that ugly old car. Too bad about 57; they are a nice and very attractive car.

Comment

Please contact me at vuktica@gmail.com with a phone # to call, and I'll discuss purchasing parts with you. You can also just give me your e-mail address and I'll respond by giving you my phone #.

Comment

It isn't that I hate the look of the 57. It just doesn't do much for me. While this car COULD be saved, one would be WAY underwater before it is done. I believe its best use at this point is giving its life to make 10 or more other projects better.

Comment

Originally posted by packardly8 View Post
              Please contact me at vuktica@gmail.com with a phone # to call, and I'll discuss purchasing parts with you. You can also just give me your e-mail address and I'll respond by giving you my phone #.
              Stephen:

Sent you an email yesterday, the 22nd. My email is a hotmail account, so it may be in your junk folder.

Lynn

Comment

So, I am needing to remove all that beautiful side trim stainless.

Anyone know how it is attached. Certainly don't want to damage it. I have one pretty bent piece that I can practice on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lynn

Comment

You might also want to keep the front coil springs for your coupe. The Packard springs might be progressive rate. Your stock 53 springs are pretty light duty.
                  james r pepper

Comment

link to 57 Clipper supplement shows location of clips to remove stainless side trim

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                      You might also want to keep the front coil springs for your coupe. The Packard springs might be progressive rate. Your stock 53 springs are pretty light duty.
                      If the Packard frame is not rusted (and even if it just has a few rust issues) I plan to use the whole frame and suspension. My 53 doesn't just have light duty springs; it has a 14 gauge steel frame. The Packard is 12 gauge steel.

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                        link to 57 Clipper supplement shows location of clips to remove stainless side trim
                        http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/htm...Supplement.pdf
                        Thanks Al. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                          If the Packard frame is not rusted (and even if it just has a few rust issues) I plan to use the whole frame and suspension. My 53 doesn't just have light duty springs; it has a 14 gauge steel frame. The Packard is 12 gauge steel.
                          Some items on the frame will have to be transferred. The front engine mount brackets will need to be swapped. I think the rear engine crossmember will have to come from the coupe. It would be a good idea to add a bat wing crossmember if you don't already have one.
                          james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                            Does the Packard have Saginaw power steering? If it does and you want to use it, You are going to have to get a little creative with the steering column.
                            james r pepper

Comment

Packard does have power steering. Not sure if it is the saginaw unit. Weren't there two avaialbe? Either way, not planning on using the power steering from the Packard. The 53 Commander steers very easily. If I decide later to go with power steering will probably add EPAS something like Jerry Forrster is doing on his. The power steering on the Packard takes up a lot of room. If I don't have that pump set up, that will give me a good place to mount a compresser if I decide to put A/C on it.

Appreciate the heads up on the engine mounts. Does the engine sit slightly farther back in the 53? I believe there are some threads on here that address the batwing cross member and some other frame reinforcing that is desirable.

I believe there are two or three guys on this board that have done the GH engine into an earlier car. JackV told me he had seen it done a few times, but that it is a tight fit. If someong is aware of a build thread documenting this swap, I would sure like to see a link.

Thanks again.

Comment

The engine is farther back on C/K. On your 53 frame the brackets are riveted on. You will have to drill out the rivets. I don't recall what was done in 57. Later cars used 3/8 grade 5 bolts with heavy fender washers on the inside of the crossmember. Look at a later car parts manual. The supercharger may interfere with the hood. You can try the thinner front motor mounts from an R3 car. Doing so might also require a different mounting point of the center support bearing on the driveshaft.
                                %7 style PS is an integral Saginaw unit. It is big and heavy. You should be able to use yours from the 53 chassis.

Jim
                                james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                                X