63 Champ Hood Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 63 Champ Hood Assembly

Trying to get the hood and hinge on my 63 Champ. The hinge that was in the bed of the truck is the same color as the hood and the rest of the truck so I figure it is the one that came off it. Can't figure out exactly how it goes together. Looks kind of obvious but doesn't seem to want to go together. It's a little tough having never seen one before and trying to hold up the hood and bolt it in at the same time.

Can anyone post some pics of what it should look like correctly put together. Also not sure where the prop rod goes.

Thanks,
    Todd

I live just west of South Bend. Have a 59 Wagon in my garage. Come down and look how the hinge is installed. Give me a call. 5seven4-8five0-101three.

Comment

If you have no answers in the next few hours I will get some good photos when I get home. I have a 59 Lark, so it should be the same as your Champ, and the dog house and hood are off so the hinges are fully exposed. Once you see it all will become clear as to how it goes together and bolts on. Make sure you have the 2 springs.

Otherwise in the Chassis Parts Manual, plate 16-1, there is a diagram of it. That may help.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20180109_093953.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1717868

Len

Comment

Thanks, that helps. Now I know how the springs attach. Having now actually seen one I should be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by toddbowie View Post
          Thanks, that helps. Now I know how the springs attach. Having now actually seen one I should be good to go.
          Let us know if you need more details as photos are just seconds to take and post.

Len

Comment

Thanks Len, a couple pics would be helpful. The other thing is what angle is best for setting the hood in place? I assume in full open position.

Comment

When I get home this afternoon I'll snap a few pics and post them for you. About 4pm Pacific time.

About the angle, yes, fully open to set it up then the process of finer adjustments, opening and closing until you get it where you want it. It usually works out best to have it all marked before it's apart but even knowing that won't help me this next time as it was painted off the vehicle and no marks remain.

An important thing to remember is that during the setup the hood has a tendency to slide back and the hood corners dig into the fenders or cowl. Placing cardboard on the car and wrapping the hood corners also helps. It's also easier with two people. I don't usually have that luxury so I have worked out ways to do it myself and not cause any damage.

Just remember if the fenders have been removed and replaced it may be hard to get the hood right. It could be a matter of adjusting the fenders and front panel as well.

Len

Comment

Sorry for the late posting, had family stuff to attend to.

Here are a few to help out.

The first one is how it looks when the hood is closed.
                Attached Files

Comment

That's how I got it. Thanks! Getting it on by myself was a bit of a trick. Adjusting it by myself is another.

Comment

Working...
                  X