Thread: Champ rear bumper

President Member

Champ rear bumper

Does anyone know if the 1960 Dodge pick up bumper is interchangable with a 1963 Champ with the Dodge bed ? I have exhausted my search for a Stude bumper. Thanks

Wouldn't a Hard to find '60 Dodge Bumper be about as difficult as a Champ one?

Are you looking for Factory "C" Channel type, or aftermarket Step Type?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

President Member
    Rich,
    I am looking for a basic non wrap a round bumper suitable for chroming. I sent mine off last July for re chroming and it might be lost forever. It looked like a 64 Ford type. Thanks

I am looking for a good Diamond Plate STEP bumper for my Wide Box '63 8E-7, Because I want to USE it, it won't be a "Show" or "Parade" Truck.

This kind:
    Champ Wide Box bumper.jpg Or this: 62 Orange W Step Bumper.jpg So it can be used for a Step and Light to Medium Trailering.

Not the Pretty, but USELESS factory Type: Blue 63 Short Bed2.jpg

Maybe you want one of these more modern '90's Dodge, Chev. or Ford ones to modify to fit. 62 Champ Blue Custom1.jpg
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-08-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    StudeRich

Speedster Member
    Rich,

Check pm.

President Member
    Robert, I can only guess the Dodge rear bar would fit "fine or with minor mods". You mention Your Bar might be missing for good,sounds like some one is not being honest with You.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Bob, save yourself time and agony and buy one locally.

Go to any store that has custom truck bumpers. They should be able to fix you up with a contemporary aftermarket chrome bumper for a small (Ranger, S-10) or mid-size (Dakota) pickup. The bracketry might have to be altered a bit to fit your Champ, but that should be no big deal.

Chances are good that you'll have a choice of styles and surfaces, too, once they figure out a close contemporary application. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    That's strange, over the Years I've seen many a Truck hauling hefty loads of this that and the other thing. and with out a rear Bumper at all, even some Tail Gates were almost non existent. now if that ain't being USED I don't know what is.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

President Member
    Thanks, Bob
    That sounds like a good option. Now why didn't I think of that?

President Member
    Was the rear VW van bumpers a good swap in or was that for a earlier R series truck ? Or both ?

I found that you can buy painted step bumpers, brand new, for around $100 online. Not sure of the weight rating. Discovered this when my kid was rear-ended in his Dakota by some dude with no insurance a few years ago. Went looking for a replacement bumper and came up with generic step bumpers for cheap. Some were designated for vehicles and others gave the dimensions to work with. Some had generic brackets, others none so you had to improvise. Hope this helps. I don't have any of the web sites anymore but should be easy to find some by searching.
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    I am looking for a good Diamond Plate STEP bumper for my Wide Box '63 8E-7, Because I want to USE it, it won't be a "Show" or "Parade" Truck.

This kind:
    Champ Wide Box bumper.jpg Or this: 62 Orange W Step Bumper.jpg So it can be used for a Step and Light to Medium Trailering.

Not the Pretty, but USELESS factory Type: Blue 63 Short Bed2.jpg

Maybe you want one of these more modern '90's Dodge, Chev. or Ford ones to modify to fit. 62 Champ Blue Custom1.jpg
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

My cousin owned this '64 8E7 from the mid 90s to the mid 00s. It had this aftermarket bumper on it after being restored in the early 90s and was rated for 5000 lbs. Guy who restored it pulled a 25 ft travel trailer with it (it also had a pretty worked over 289 and 5th/OD (factory equipped) tranny in it).

Is that Omaha Orange Champ from So. Calif. and does it have a through the Cab RIGHT HAND Fuel Filler and Auxiliary Tank?

If it is and does, I knew the Man who built it.
    StudeRich

Silver Hawk Member
    Remember that the weight rating of the bumper also depends on the brackets holding it to the body. My 14 Ram has a 5000# 500# tongue weight rated bumper and there is a pretty substantial bracket system holding it to the frame.

Just speaking for me but if I'm going to tow much I'm not using the bumper, I'm using the class 4 frame mounted hitch that is installed on the frame. Just never want to see my trailer passing me on the road and threatening other traffic.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    It's a new year's miracle! The chrome shop texted today, after me leaving dozens of messages and a registered letter, that my bumper will be shipped next week. The Champ returns tomorrow after 10 months in the body shop. Rust, rust and more rust repair. Did I mention it rusted?