MOPAR Cop Car Wheels/'62 Daytona Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: MOPAR Cop Car Wheels/'62 Daytona Wheels

In trying to understand the best options for replacing the original wheels on my '62 Daytona I have been reading through some of the many posts on the subject. In doing so I saw some references to MOPAR cop car wheels and how desirable some folks think they are. Today while surfing Craig's list for a set of 1970s or '80s 15x5.5 (or 6) wheels I ran across a set of 4 MOPAR cop car wheels that are for sale. These wheels are said to be 15"x7" with 4 1/2" 5 hole bolt/lug pattern. The wheels are located listed on Craig's List in Terra Haute, Indiana. The price is $200 for the set. I thought I would pass this along given the interest that was expressed on our SDC Forum. It is my understanding that these wheels are too wide and/or heavy for a '62 Daytona. I hope this tip on the cop wheels is helpful to someone.

Now....If anyone has a lead on a set of MOPAR wheels, 15 x 5.5 (or 6) with the 4 1/2 by 5 bolt pattern with the proper back spacing that will work on a '62 Daytona I would appreciate hearing about them. In reading through some of the posts about wheels that seem to work I am a bit confused. Often posters will say they are using Ford Ranger wheels or Mopar wheels but don't say what year (for the Rangers) or model/year (for Fords or Mopars) they came from. There also seems to be some difference of opinion as to back spacing/tire rubbing, not to mention the use of Studebaker or larger Ford lug nuts. Some say yes, some say no. I do appreciate all the folks who pass along their knowledge and experience. It has certainly been helpful to me as a longtime Studebaker owner.

If you use Ford (Ranger) wheels, you should/need to use the larger lug nuts to prevent pull through and to give you proper tightening. With the Mopar wheels, you can continue to use the Studebaker lug nuts.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Joseph, because the "Other" Mfg's. had SO many different wheels even in a given year, it is sometimes difficult to pin down the year and Model they belong to.

A Ford Torino is not an LTD, and a Chevelle or Malibu is not a Caprice, and a '76 may not be the same as a '77.
      Many have used the Rear Drive, '80's Ford Crown Victoria 15X6 wheels, not Police wheels, they were so popular that aftermarket copies WERE made, now discontinued, it is all about checking the width and backspace.

On ANY non-Studebaker wheel, Ford or Chrysler, I use the Larger 13/16 Wrench size Lug Nuts, instead of the smaller 3/4 Wrench Size Stude. ones.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-08-2018, 01:00 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

As just written + you might google early 60's Chrysler rims, one year they were 15 inch, next year 14 to make the car look lower & newer, my pal has my old ones that was used on my -62 Chrysler & his -62 Plymouth:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1717849

Comment

These (click on image) are generally what are referred to (in the Mopar world) as "Cop Car" wheels. They were typically used with the dog dish hub caps that had the holes drilled in them. Perhaps in the Studebaker world earlier Mopar wheels (that more resemble a typical wheel) might also be referred to as Cop Car wheels. I have seen pictures of the one I'm posting on Larks and tested them on the front of my '64 Daytona. The $200 price is pretty typical for the wheels alone, though I have seen pristine sets of wheels/caps going for $500!!! They are rather hard to find now. Even at the Mopar Spring/Fall Flings (billed as the largest Mopar show/swap West of the Mississippi) I see maybe ... two sets.

In the end I went with the 16" Crown Vic wheels. They are far more readily available and the local Pick A Part (Sun Valley, Ca) will sell them for $7 (with tire) at their "Monday Madness" steel wheel/tire sale.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by wittsend; 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

1/2 ton Dodge pickups and full size vans through 1984 used a 4-1/2” bolt circle. They could be had in 5-1/2” or 6” widths. Trouble is that these are now older vehicles and much less likely to be found in wrecking yards. At least up around the Pacific Northwest older wheels can be in fairly good condition.

Comment

Those showed by Wittsend looks a lot like the 60's Volvo rims:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	tire3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1717851

Comment

My '59 Lark and one Avanti has the 15x7 (not 5.5 or 6.0) Chryco cop car ventilated wheels(circa late 70's early to mid 80's era). They fit (and to me look) perfectly with a 215/70r15 tire on the Lark, 225/70r15 on the Avanti. I'm a tire guy of 40+ years so more is better to me. Heck if they don't rub somewhere, they aren't big enough! It ends up being a win-win as they look great and vastly improve the handling over bias ply tires and 4.50" wide wheels. The steering effort increase is minimal.
                Check out Wheel Vintiques # 69-571204 15x7 5 on 4.50 4.0" BS.
                Bill

Comment

I ran the slotted, 15x7 Mopar cop car wheels on my Lark for over ten years. I think I ran 215x70s in the front, and big 245x65s in the back, but I would have to check to be t sure. I also used the small Mopar dog dish caps. My back springs were slighty arched to provide clearence, and at full lock, the front tires would rub slightly. Looked sharp, and yes, the car handled better than what I am currently running. BUT the cop car wheels are heavy, around 10 pounds heavier than a stock Stude wheel, You could feel the weight in the front every time I ran over a bump or expansion strip. Yes, it cornered better, but harder.
                  Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                  \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                    I ran the slotted, 15x7 Mopar cop car wheels on my Lark for over ten years. I think I ran 215x70s in the front, and big 245x65s in the back, but I would have to check to be t sure. I also used the small Mopar dog dish caps. My back springs were slighty arched to provide clearence, and at full lock, the front tires would rub slightly. Looked sharp, and yes, the car handled better than what I am currently running. BUT the cop car wheels are heavy, around 10 pounds heavier than a stock Stude wheel, You could feel the weight in the front every time I ran over a bump or expansion strip. Yes, it cornered better, but harder.
                    Interestingly, while I don't remember the exact weights for each, I remember some of the Ford 16" cop car steel wheels being lighter than the 15" Mopar cop car steelies. Performance 15" tires are becoming scarce, but because so many Mustangs and Camaros had 245/50-16s, tires are more common.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                      Those showed by Wittsend looks a lot like the 60's Volvo rims:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]69604[/ATTACH]
                      These are ordinary GM "Rally Wheel" reproductions available in the States at performance Parts Co's like Speedway or Summit as 5 on 4 1/2" Ford/MoPar Bolt Pattern, or GM Pattern.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not sure if the above is referring to the ad posted by Noxbaker or the wheels on my Valiant (post #5). But, the wheels on the Valiant are Mopar factory wheels from their police cars.
                        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

It is always perfectly CLEAR who you are answering, when you Quote the persons Post or a portion of it.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My daughter's 64 Daytona with 15 X 7 cop car wheels. Fit is perfect.
                            Attached Files
                            james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              It is always perfectly CLEAR who you are answering, when you Quote the persons Post or a portion of it.
                              Yes, but Noxbaker's quote was "Those shown by Wittsend ... ." And then you replied, "These are ... . So I wasn't sure if you were referring to his quote (regarding my wheels), or his ad (regarding the Volvo wheels). My apology, but I don't know how to quote both posts in the same reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X