Thread: MOPAR Cop Car Wheels/'62 Daytona Wheels

Champion Member

MOPAR Cop Car Wheels/'62 Daytona Wheels

In trying to understand the best options for replacing the original wheels on my '62 Daytona I have been reading through some of the many posts on the subject. In doing so I saw some references to MOPAR cop car wheels and how desirable some folks think they are. Today while surfing Craig's list for a set of 1970s or '80s 15x5.5 (or 6) wheels I ran across a set of 4 MOPAR cop car wheels that are for sale. These wheels are said to be 15"x7" with 4 1/2" 5 hole bolt/lug pattern. The wheels are located listed on Craig's List in Terra Haute, Indiana. The price is $200 for the set. I thought I would pass this along given the interest that was expressed on our SDC Forum. It is my understanding that these wheels are too wide and/or heavy for a '62 Daytona. I hope this tip on the cop wheels is helpful to someone.

Now....If anyone has a lead on a set of MOPAR wheels, 15 x 5.5 (or 6) with the 4 1/2 by 5 bolt pattern with the proper back spacing that will work on a '62 Daytona I would appreciate hearing about them. In reading through some of the posts about wheels that seem to work I am a bit confused. Often posters will say they are using Ford Ranger wheels or Mopar wheels but don't say what year (for the Rangers) or model/year (for Fords or Mopars) they came from. There also seems to be some difference of opinion as to back spacing/tire rubbing, not to mention the use of Studebaker or larger Ford lug nuts. Some say yes, some say no. I do appreciate all the folks who pass along their knowledge and experience. It has certainly been helpful to me as a longtime Studebaker owner.

Golden Hawk Member
    If you use Ford (Ranger) wheels, you should/need to use the larger lug nuts to prevent pull through and to give you proper tightening. With the Mopar wheels, you can continue to use the Studebaker lug nuts.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Joseph, because the "Other" Mfg's. had SO many different wheels even in a given year, it is sometimes difficult to pin down the year and Model they belong to.

A Ford Torino is not an LTD, and a Chevelle or Malibu is not a Caprice, and a '76 may not be the same as a '77.
    Many have used the Rear Drive, '80's Ford Crown Victoria 15X6 wheels, not Police wheels, they were so popular that aftermarket copies WERE made, now discontinued, it is all about checking the width and backspace.

On ANY non-Studebaker wheel, Ford or Chrysler, I use the Larger 13/16 Wrench size Lug Nuts, instead of the smaller 3/4 Wrench Size Stude. ones.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-08-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

As just written + you might google early 60's Chrysler rims, one year they were 15 inch, next year 14 to make the car look lower & newer, my pal has my old ones that was used on my -62 Chrysler & his -62 Plymouth:
    001.jpg

President Member
    These (click on image) are generally what are referred to (in the Mopar world) as "Cop Car" wheels. They were typically used with the dog dish hub caps that had the holes drilled in them. Perhaps in the Studebaker world earlier Mopar wheels (that more resemble a typical wheel) might also be referred to as Cop Car wheels. I have seen pictures of the one I'm posting on Larks and tested them on the front of my '64 Daytona. The $200 price is pretty typical for the wheels alone, though I have seen pristine sets of wheels/caps going for $500!!! They are rather hard to find now. Even at the Mopar Spring/Fall Flings (billed as the largest Mopar show/swap West of the Mississippi) I see maybe ... two sets.

In the end I went with the 16" Crown Vic wheels. They are far more readily available and the local Pick A Part (Sun Valley, Ca) will sell them for $7 (with tire) at their "Monday Madness" steel wheel/tire sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wittsend; 01-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member
    1/2 ton Dodge pickups and full size vans through 1984 used a 4-1/2” bolt circle. They could be had in 5-1/2” or 6” widths. Trouble is that these are now older vehicles and much less likely to be found in wrecking yards. At least up around the Pacific Northwest older wheels can be in fairly good condition.

Those showed by Wittsend looks a lot like the 60's Volvo rims:
    tire3.jpg

President Member
    My '59 Lark and one Avanti has the 15x7 (not 5.5 or 6.0) Chryco cop car ventilated wheels(circa late 70's early to mid 80's era). They fit (and to me look) perfectly with a 215/70r15 tire on the Lark, 225/70r15 on the Avanti. I'm a tire guy of 40+ years so more is better to me. Heck if they don't rub somewhere, they aren't big enough! It ends up being a win-win as they look great and vastly improve the handling over bias ply tires and 4.50" wide wheels. The steering effort increase is minimal.
    Check out Wheel Vintiques # 69-571204 15x7 5 on 4.50 4.0" BS.
    Bill

President Member
    I ran the slotted, 15x7 Mopar cop car wheels on my Lark for over ten years. I think I ran 215x70s in the front, and big 245x65s in the back, but I would have to check to be t sure. I also used the small Mopar dog dish caps. My back springs were slighty arched to provide clearence, and at full lock, the front tires would rub slightly. Looked sharp, and yes, the car handled better than what I am currently running. BUT the cop car wheels are heavy, around 10 pounds heavier than a stock Stude wheel, You could feel the weight in the front every time I ran over a bump or expansion strip. Yes, it cornered better, but harder.
    Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
    \'63 R2 Lark (the moneypit-mobile)

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2R2 View Post
    I ran the slotted, 15x7 Mopar cop car wheels on my Lark for over ten years. I think I ran 215x70s in the front, and big 245x65s in the back, but I would have to check to be t sure. I also used the small Mopar dog dish caps. My back springs were slighty arched to provide clearence, and at full lock, the front tires would rub slightly. Looked sharp, and yes, the car handled better than what I am currently running. BUT the cop car wheels are heavy, around 10 pounds heavier than a stock Stude wheel, You could feel the weight in the front every time I ran over a bump or expansion strip. Yes, it cornered better, but harder.
    Interestingly, while I don't remember the exact weights for each, I remember some of the Ford 16" cop car steel wheels being lighter than the 15" Mopar cop car steelies. Performance 15" tires are becoming scarce, but because so many Mustangs and Camaros had 245/50-16s, tires are more common.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Quote Originally Posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    Those showed by Wittsend looks a lot like the 60's Volvo rims:
    tire3.jpg
    These are ordinary GM "Rally Wheel" reproductions available in the States at performance Parts Co's like Speedway or Summit as 5 on 4 1/2" Ford/MoPar Bolt Pattern, or GM Pattern.

President Member
    Not sure if the above is referring to the ad posted by Noxbaker or the wheels on my Valiant (post #5). But, the wheels on the Valiant are Mopar factory wheels from their police cars.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

It is always perfectly CLEAR who you are answering, when you Quote the persons Post or a portion of it.

Speedster Member
    My daughter's 64 Daytona with 15 X 7 cop car wheels. Fit is perfect.
    james r pepper

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    It is always perfectly CLEAR who you are answering, when you Quote the persons Post or a portion of it.
    Yes, but Noxbaker's quote was "Those shown by Wittsend ... ." And then you replied, "These are ... . So I wasn't sure if you were referring to his quote (regarding my wheels), or his ad (regarding the Volvo wheels). My apology, but I don't know how to quote both posts in the same reply.

Champion Member

Your cop wheels

JP, What size tires are on that great looking car? I have the MoPar cop wheels off my old fire dept cop car and a 63 Avanti....see where this could go? Its a cold windy time here in Green Bay so trying to figure rim / tire size for the Avanti is a good warming exercise. Thx Sherm / Green Bay

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpepper View Post
    My daughter's 64 Daytona with 15 X 7 cop car wheels. Fit is perfect.
    It appears that you are using standard MOPAR hub caps and not the police/taxi car style. I think that the standard ones, without holes, look better on that sedan.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

I was refering to the picture in #5 what to me looks like a Dart, & the ones I showed are what Volvo offered for the 123GT & P1800, but could also be bought from the local Volvo dealer in Sweden at the time.

123GT.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    I was refering to the picture in #5 what to me looks like a Dart, & the ones I showed are what Volvo offered for the 123GT & P1800, but could also be bought from the local Volvo dealer in Sweden at the time.

123GT.jpg
    ohhh, my ....what a beautiful GT...wish it were mine. cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    These are ordinary GM "Rally Wheel" reproductions available in the States at performance Parts Co's like Speedway or Summit as 5 on 4 1/2" Ford/MoPar Bolt Pattern, or GM Pattern.
    I don't believe any wheels in this post are anywhere close to looking like any GM rally wheel...if they are, what GM product were they on? Cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

President Member Bordeaux Daytona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by junior View Post
    I don't believe any wheels in this post are anywhere close to looking like any GM rally wheel...if they are, what GM product were they on? Cheers, junior
    Something like this, dual bolt pattern, they have different sizes availablehttps://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-55-5704

I bought 2R2's Mopar wheels(3rd pic) and put them on my '64 but decided to go with the wheel covers. Yeah, they do rub a little when you do a full turn.
    Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 01-09-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post

I bought 2R2's Mopar wheels and put them on my '64 but decided to go with the wheel covers. Yeah, they do rub a little when you do a full turn.
    John, what size tires are you running now (the whitewalls in the two pics of the Daytona)?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member
    In Rich's referencing to Volvo RWD wheels, they are supposed to be 5 on 4.25, unique to Volvo. And Bordeaux
    Yeah, they do rub a little when you do a full turn.
    Perfect fit in my books as nobody drives at full lock, just parking.
    Bill

Something like this, dual bolt pattern, they have different sizes availablehttps://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-55-5704

I bought 2R2's Mopar wheels and put them on my '64 but decided to go with the wheel covers. Yeah, they do rub a little when you do a full turn.

That's the point I was trying to make...the GM rally wheels have 5 slots, the mopar cop wheels 6. The only GM rally wheels that I recall having 6 slots are the relativly uncommon earlish GTO/LeMans wheels. cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

President Member Bordeaux Daytona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    John, what size tires are you running now (the whitewalls in the two pics of the Daytona)?
    I think they are 215/70/15 Firestone FR710. I'll have to double check at home later.

Yep. That's the size.
    Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 01-09-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Update

I have those dual bolt pattern wheels on the back of my 52 because of the Sonoma rear end. They work fine, but I have to run full wheel covers because the front and rear are different.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

President Member
    JKelly:
    Your original post mentioned Ford Ranger wheels.
    As close as I can find the steel wheels where available on the following:
    Ranger 1993-2009
    Explorer 1993-2001
    Mountaineer 1997-2001
    Mazda B2300 [a rebadged Ranger pickup] 1994-2010
    The wheels are steel with 8 oddball oval cutouts, either silver or black, 15"x 6", 5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle, 4" backspace, 2 3/4" center bore
    You will need larger 13/16" hex wheelnuts with 60 degree taper [stock Studebaker are 3/4" hex]
    Dorman #611-016-BP, 1/2" 20 right hand thread. [10 or 20- depends on year of car]
    Dorman #611-031.1, 1/2" 20 left hand thread. [10 or 0 - " " " " " ]
    Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 01-11-2018 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added info
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    JKelly:
    Ranger 1993-2009
    Explorer 1993-2001
    Mountaineer 1997-2001
    The wheels are steel with 8 oddball oval cutouts, either silver or black, 15"x 6", 5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle, 4" backspace, 2 3/4" center bore
    You will need larger 13/16" hex wheelnuts with 60 degree taper [stock Studebaker are 3/4" hex]
    Dorman #611-016-BP, 1/2" 20 right hand thread
    Dorman #611-031.1, 1/2" 20 left hand thread.

I have a set of these wheels, got them at a junkyard. Have run them on a '63 Daytona, and have them on my '64 Daytona now. They fit both cars well. I did add the little 'nubs' to hold the full wheelcovers from rotating, duplicated the size and positioning from an original wheel. Used my MIG to add these nubs, after a little practice to find tune the amps and wire speed, it's pretty simple.

Here is a pic of what I got:
    wheel.jpg
    Last edited by r1lark; 01-09-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Speedster Member
    Yes,Mopar cop wheels are 30#each,my stock Dodge pickup were 20# each.Made for rough stuff...

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    JKelly:
    Ranger 1993-2009
    Explorer 1993-2001
    Mountaineer 1997-2001
    Dorman #611-016-BP, 1/2" 20 right hand thread
    Dorman #611-031.1, 1/2" 20 left hand thread.
    Thank you for your help!! When one calls the junkyards the first thing they ask is what year are you looking for. This is very helpful!

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    I have a set of these wheels, got them at a junkyard. Have run them on a '63 Daytona, and have them on my '64 Daytona now. They fit both cars well. I did add the little 'nubs' to hold the full wheelcovers from rotating, duplicated the size and positioning from an original wheel. Used my MIG to add these nubs, after a little practice to find tune the amps and wire speed, it's pretty simple.

Here is a pic of what I got:
    wheel.jpg
    Thanks for the picture and advice concerning the full wheel covers!

President Member
    I'm not sure when the change to all right hand thread studs was made.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Speedster Member
    The tires on the cop car wheels (post #14) are 205-75R15. I used the caps without holes because I thought they looked better. Eventually we used Magnum 500's from an Avanti II with 215-70R15 tires.
    james r pepper

Champion Member

Tire size, ref 63 Avanti / Mopar rims-tire size

10-4 , I will start there. Thx Sherm Green Bay