Best way to find TDC??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
    Use a socket on the nut on the alternator......
    Never tried this but I will now. Usually on anything other than an R-series, just grab the belt and pull, even with the plugs in...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hawklover, you can put the vac at any position & then you just change the wires position, as long as the rotor points at #1 when it should.

Comment

Many thanks, I thought I had to have the vac and rotor facing number one spark plug.
        Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
        Hawklover, you can put the vac at any position & then you just change the wires position, as long as the rotor points at #1 when it should.

Comment

The vacuum and rotor can be anywhere if it has been rewired or is going to be rewired. If you want to replace it in the same position as it came out, yes #1 TDC and follow #1 wire back to the distributor and mark it with a paint pen, when the distributor is installed it will turn when it is inserted, therefore you will have to start it approximately in the position of #2 wire and when it rotates it should end up at #1 when fully inserted. This may take two or three tries. The gears have to mesh so that #1 TDC is lined up and also the oil pump slot is lined up. It is not as easy as just dropping it in. On a 6 you could only be out 180, however on a V8 you could be out multiple degrees in either direction. I spent about 30 minutes installing my distributor in my 259 before I got it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            This ain't rocket surgery. Just note where the vacuum advance and the rotor is and put it back in the same position upon installation.
            Rocket surgery??????
            Skip Lackie

Comment

What most people forget is, that once you have the Rotor lined up with the actual #1 firing position and you are sure the #1 is at the top of the compression stroke, there is NO reason to waste time sweating that Oil Pump slot position thing.

Just lightly press down on the Dist. while you crank it with your other hand on the Remote Starter Button, and it will drop into the Oil Pump and then drop all the way onto the Block surface, ...Done!

Snug up the Dist. Clamp Bolt, and you are ready to fine tune the Timing with your Timing Light and then lock the Clamp Bolt.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Rocket surgery??????
                I meant to say 'brain science'.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  What most people forget is, that once you have the Rotor lined up with the actual #1 firing position and you are sure the #1 is at the top of the compression stroke, there is NO reason to waste time sweating that Oil Pump slot position thing.

Just lightly press down on the Dist. while you crank it with your other hand on the Remote Starter Button, and it will drop into the Oil Pump and then drop all the way onto the Block surface, ...Done!

Snug up the Dist. Clamp Bolt, and you are ready to fine tune the Timing with your Timing Light and then lock the Clamp Bolt.
                  There is still some fineness required, as you turn the crank the cam also turns which also moves the rotor, while the oil pump stays still. It is not as easy as just dropping it in. I have been lucky some times and did it in 2 minutes and other times it was 1/2 and hour of fiddling.

Comment

By the time you get the Dist. down to where it is resting on the Oil Pump, it's already timed into the Cam Gear and will not change when it turns and drops into the Oil pump, as long as you do not let it raise up and become disconnected from the Camshaft it WILL be perfectly Timed to Number One.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                      I meant to say 'brain science'.
                      I thought it was rocket brains
                      Ron Dame
                      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        By the time you get the Dist. down to where it is resting on the Oil Pump, it's already timed into the Cam Gear and will not change when it turns and drops into the Oil pump, as long as you do not let it raise up and become disconnected from the Camshaft it WILL be perfectly Timed to Number One.
                        Yes Rich I do agree that will work perfect but you still have to back the rotor up just before #1 and as it is inserted it will advance to #1 where it remains timed now continue to rotate the engine until the distributor drops in the slot. Then check it with one complete rotation. Do I have it right now?

Comment

Yes, David (altair) that will work fine, thanks for adding more detail.

When the engine is set at #1, I usually just drop the Dist. in so that the Rotor points straight forward when all the way down, of course doing what you say to be off about one Plug position at start.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X