Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeLorean burns

Saw this story this morning:

A Utah man is mourning the loss of his classic DeLorean and wondering why he couldn't get help when it caught on fire.
    Daryl Kemsley says he pulled into the parking lot of a drug store in Orem Friday after his car began smoking following an accident. Kemsley says he asked a drug store employee for a fire extinguisher but was denied because the device was company property. The employee also refused to use the extinguisher herself because she didn't know how. Kemsley says firefighters put out the flames that spread through the DeLorean but the car is a total loss.

Now I know some might say, it's a DeLorean, who cares? But it's a testament to carrying a fire extinguisher in every classic car.

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    A Utah man is mourning the loss of his classic DeLorean and wondering why he couldn't get help when it caught on fire.
    Daryl Kemsley says he pulled into the parking lot of a drug store in Orem Friday after his car began smoking following an accident. Kemsley says he asked a drug store employee for a fire extinguisher but was denied because the device was company property.
    The car was parked on company property, and since it was a hazard being on fire, he had every right to make use of it. I believe on a public premises, pull stations, fire extinguishers, hoses, etc., are NOT restricted to employees only. A very high fine/imprisonment term prevents misuse by anyone.

Craig

Comment

I would have at least punched the clerk and taken the extinguisher.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Maybe his insurance company will replace his Delorean....with a nice Avanti or a Hawk!

Comment

New cars need fire extinguishers too. Several car fires on the freeway here in L.A. every week.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            The car was parked on company property, and since it was a hazard being on fire, he had every right to make use of it. I believe on a public premises, pull stations, fire extinguishers, hoses, etc., are NOT restricted to employees only. A very high fine/imprisonment term prevents misuse by anyone.

Craig
            The employee was referred to as "she", not your "he". Not that it matters much, but just trying to keep things correct.

Makes me think of all the time that I waited for "my" DeLorean to come in to the dealership.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              The employee was referred to as "she", not your "he". Not that it matters much, but just trying to keep things correct.

Makes me think of all the time that I waited for "my" DeLorean to come in to the dealership.
              'He' (the owner of the car) would, or should be allowed to use any fire alerting or suppression equipment because of the aforementioned hazard. 'She' (the employee) is supposed to be trained in using such equipment, as it is the employer's responsibility to ensure their staff knows how to properly manage an emergency situation, including the handling of fire suppression equipment on the premises.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                'He' (the owner of the car) would, or should be allowed to use any fire alerting or suppression equipment because of the aforementioned hazard. 'She' (the employee) is supposed to be trained in using such equipment, as it is the employer's responsibility to ensure their staff knows how to properly manage an emergency situation, including the handling of fire suppression equipment on the premises.

Craig
                Sorry. I thought that you were referring to the employee's right to use the extinguisher. With that said, I agree with your statement (quoted).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"The employee also refused to use the extinguisher herself because she didn't know how." She gets the moron of the year award. By the time a fire extinguisher is needed, nobody has time to learn how to use it. They are all designed to be very simple to use. Pull the pin, squeeze the trigger.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    "The employee also refused to use the extinguisher herself because she didn't know how." She gets the moron of the year award. By the time a fire extinguisher is needed, nobody has time to learn how to use it. They are all designed to be very simple to use. Pull the pin, squeeze the trigger.
                    I dunno, Skip, that's two steps.

In this day and age, that might be one too many because you'd have to put down your Smart Phone and quit texting to accomplish "all the above." BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      I dunno, Skip, that's two steps.

In this day and age, that might be one too many because you'd have to put down your Smart Phone and quit texting to accomplish "all the above." BP
                      While she has the Smart Phone in her hand, she could Google " How to use a fire extinguisher".

Comment

When common sense is replaced with corporate bureaucracy, likely at the recommendation of the corporate attorney, and then everyone does their "job" - Deloreans burn. On the other hand had the store employee been compassionately reactive, and not festooned with corporate expectations the "Store" could have been seen as the hero. And..., can you imagine the "corporate spin" if a child had burned to death in the car???
                        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                        X