No announcement yet.

Best Big 3 Land Yacht

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In that era of automotive history I was working as a mechanic for my father in law in a Texaco station in Wisconsin. I had almost every make and model of these cars in my clientele and the one I liked the most was the Buick Electra 225 Limited. Very nice interior, good looking, and plenty of comfortable go. It wasn't bad on gas either, relative to others. The '69 was my favorite, what a boat! Bill

Comment

I drove my great-grandparents 1959 Ford Galaxie 500 Town Sedan a couple years in the 1990s. Car only had @60K miles on it and was equipped with the 332 V8 with the Cruis-O-Matic - even with all that sheet metal, it would bark the tires on the 1-2 shift... Car below is not the same color as mine - my car was geranium (think coral) and white.

*Sorry - the car below is a four door hardtop - mine was a four door sedan - but body dimensions would be the same.*

Last edited by 62champ; 01-08-2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
        57 Mercury Turn Pike Cruiser convertible.
        I had a '57 Merc Turnpike Cruiser convertible back in the '60s. I foolishly traded my '47 Merc convertible for it. I wish I had both cars now....

Comment

I owned 4 Olds Toronados, a '66, '67, '70 and a '79 Toronado diesel I bought new....big mistake, that one! I loved driving the others, amazing cars.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            In 1960, where I worked part time, the company car was a red with black leather 1959 Continental convertible. What made it especially nice was that I did have to feed it.
            I'm glad it was you who had to feed it, and NOT me!

Craig

Comment

I loved the looks of my 65 bonneville with three dueces and 8 lug wheels.

How the heck do you put up pictures now?
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

1960 Imperial coupe red/red (had that), 58-60 Lincoln turqoise metalic + same years T-bird bright turqoise & -53 Cadillac 4-door baby blue but not Fleetwood.
                If not so big cars & exept for Studebaker: -55 Chrysler New Yorker 4-door, -57 Chrysler 300 coupe & 55-56 Dodge 4-door with Hemi & a -61 V200 Valiant red/red.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  I'm glad it was you who had to feed it, and NOT me!

Craig
                  Sorry. I left out the "not" - now corrected. This makes at least two mistakes online this noontime when I was rushing.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post

How the heck do you put up pictures now?
                    I just copy and past the URL...

Comment

I think the 1966-69 Plymouth VIP would fill the bill. Lots of luxury and available power plus one of the sixties best car names- VIP Very Important Plymouth! You even got the space age fuselage style with the '69 model.

Comment

Thought this may be an appropriate place to post this:

Still frame captured from a 8mm home movie. A family reunion/gathering at a cousin of my Mom's house in St Paul, MN in I think 1971. I was a 5yr old running around somewhere. There is a 1970? Green Chevrolet on the far left. The brown car on the right is my maternal grandparents 1970 Ford LTD. I am not certain if that woody wagon is a '69 Chevy Estate wagon or??? Its even got a extra cargo "pod" on the roof. Those 2 grey things on top of ~that~ are actually mail boxes on posts on the other side of the street but happen to be right there in this clip. Not sure whose it was, could have belonged to my aunt/uncle as they had like 5 kids at the time the film was shot. On the other hand, may have been Mom's cousin whose house this was at since they had 6 kids!

That pink/purple girls bike with banana seat is a classic...

I don't really remember that '70 LTD so much as the '74 they had next. That thing road like a cloud.

EDIT: on more research, I think the "woody" is a 1969 Ford LTD Country Squire. Definitely not my aunt/uncle as they tended to have GM stuff.
                        Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-08-2018, 04:49 PM.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Jeff - wagon looks like a 1969 Ford Country Squire

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                            I loved the looks of my 65 bonneville with three dueces and 8 lug wheels.
                            Though I like '65's slightly more, this '66 was just stunning in black:

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                              That pink/purple girls bike with banana seat is a classic...
                              It would have been right at 'home' in the "Muscle Bikes" section at MCACN!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                                I just copy and past the URL...

Wow that is a great looking Bonne! Mine was a four door ht with turquoise on bottom and a white top.

Now could you please elaborate on your picture instructions? What is a URL? Do I have to click on one of the cryptic pictures above in this window?
                                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                                X