De-Chevyizing A 65 / 66 Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: De-Chevyizing A 65 / 66 Stude

Would it be difficult to put a Stude V8 into a 65 or 66 Stude? I am looking for a 64 Lark type body for the blower motor project. I assume it would be fairly easy to convert a Chevy powered 65 / 66 back to a Stude motor. I am in no hurry to acquire a car I just want to watch for a deal on a two door sedan. I would prefer a higher trim optioned car with a stick but not a requirement. I figure seeing as I would be replacing the whole motor it is not a necessity to start with a 64 V8.

JK

Actually pretty simple. Get the Studebaker motor mounts and put it in. Best to have the complete engine, bell housing and trans. Sounds like a major modification planned so exhaust and everything will most likely be changed anyway. If not, the header pipes will need to be replaced with the Studebaker parts. I don't think anything else is a problem with a stick, but an auto has a different kick down system to the carb.....I think.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I have seen a ‘65 that was totally changed to real Studebaker running gear. Completely bolt-in but a parts car helps for the little pieces. A real “upgrade” to use the most over-used word on this forum.

Comment

That conversion is a very noble endeavor and one that that will guarantee plenty of smiles! Like thunderations already mentioned, it's a relatively simple job of locating the proper motor mounts and alter the exhaust flow and you should be good. Mind the A/C condenser if you have one though, the hood may not clear!
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I actually did this probably 10 years ago. I put a 289 power shift combo in a 66 Commander that was originally a 6cyl 3speed. I bought a 63 Lark for parts and just switched everything over. The Chevy frame mounts have som value so don't throw them out.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
            I actually did this probably 10 years ago. I put a 289 power shift combo in a 66 Commander that was originally a 6cyl 3speed. I bought a 63 Lark for parts and just switched everything over. The Chevy frame mounts have som value so don't throw them out.
            Hopefully that 63 Lark was consumed by rust. Shudder to think an restorable original 63 289 powershift car gave its life for this.

Comment

This is heresy, BUT I cannot think of a better engine for longevity, versatility, and reliability than a small block Chevy. And parts are readilly available, cheap, and the machinist won't "Oh, My God, not a Studebaker" when you walk in the door. I forgot to mention that they don't weigh enough to make a suitable anchor for the USS Iowa.

Comment

Between post #6 and #7 (ironically two different perspectives) maybe you would just be better off waiting for a '64 car. As you said, "I am in no hurry to acquire a car ... ."
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                  Hopefully that 63 Lark was consumed by rust. Shudder to think an restorable original 63 289 powershift car gave its life for this.
                  Very rusty indeed. Plus the Powershift came from somewhere else.
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Jeffry,

The Chevy point is well taken and I have owned a ton of them. I need a platform for the attached 299 Stude. It is not a question of finding a car with a good motor.

JK

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0531 (2).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1717857

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                      Jeffry,

The Chevy point is well taken and I have owned a ton of them. I need a platform for the attached 299 Stude. It is not a question of finding a car with a good motor.

JK
                      Probably don't care much if the hood is a little beat up either. Beautiful engine, post pix when you've done the install.

Bob

Comment

Think I'd be looking for a Wagonaire. Looks like that engine might be able to haul a refrigerator sticking out of the roof.
                        Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                        Jeffry,

JK

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69618[/ATTACH]
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

looking to see what it would take to replace a broken flathead 6 & 3spd from a 58 scotsman 4 door and install a small block chevy or BB & 5spd, besides having to install motor and trany mounts. Any takers? with out a frame change. Anyone got pics of this.

Jeff want to build a hot rod.
                          Last edited by Jeff Heermans; 01-11-2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Walking on my thread Dude but, it's cool.

JK

Comment

sorry JK not sure how this works just joined. I want to build a hotrod and have a 58 4 door scotsman that the 6cyl just died. I have had other Hotrods 59 Biscayne , 67 SS camaro & my favorite was a 55 Belair 4 door i put a BB 427 500hp Rat & 5spd Borg warner trans, 12 bolt posi from a 67 camaro under the rear, very fast and fun to drive. So with that I'm wanting to build this 58 Scotsman in to a sleeper looking hot rod that I can drive around the country for fun.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X