No announcement yet.

De-Chevyizing A 65 / 66 Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagination and money. The more of each you have, the easier it is to accomplish. Stude frame might be a little weak for big HP without some attention. 6 banger frames were lighter material then V8's.
    Originally posted by Jeff Heermans View Post
    looking to see what it would take to replace a broken flathead 6 & 3spd from a 58 scotsman 4 door and install a small block chevy or BB & 5spd, besides having to install motor and trany mounts. Any takers? with out a frame change. Anyone got pics of this.

Jeff want to build a hot rod.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

looking to see what it would take to replace a broken flathead 6 & 3spd from a 58 scotsman 4 door and install a small block chevy or BB & 5spd, besides having to install motor and trany mounts. Any takers? with out a frame change. Anyone got pics of this.

The question of how to drop an SBC into a Studebaker has been asked and answered dozens of times, which is why you're not getting many responses. People get tired on saying the same things over and over. The search function on this forum leaves a lot to be desired, but using Google and adding "Studebaker Drivers Club forum" to your query should provide plenty of answers. Basically, there are no "kits" that can be purchased to make the job easier -- it will require a lot of fabrication. That said, a lot of people have made this swap, and asking a more specific question would probably get more responses.

Studebaker used 283 Chevys in their 65 and 66 models, so some factory parts (eg, motor mounts) may be available.
      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 01-13-2018, 06:08 AM.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

The Avanti's built after 1966 were SBC powered with a large crossmember added to the frame. The engine is essentially a dropin with the stock Avanti front mounts. The rear crossmember is a simple fabrication. Avanti rear ends are Dana 44's . The frames are all essentially the same for purposes of this discussion.

The biggest problem is getting the steering/exhaust manifold clearance which makes headers difficult. The 'vette 2 1/2" ram horns will work.

Here are a couple shots of my 74 Avanti with a 383 stroker and T56 six speed

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1271.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1717915 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1275.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1717916 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161210_114927417.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1717917

To keep this thread clean either start a thread about your project or PM me and we can share ideas.

Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 01-12-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

OK, here is the skinny on the idea of buying another car. I made an agreement with a gentleman on Sunday to buy his '65 Commander, 283, 2-speed auto. The bonus is that he is an only 1.5 hours from me so bringing it home will be low stress. I won't post any photos until it is actually home. It is a fairly decent 2DR that has been off the road and inside since the late 90's and driven up until that time. The motor is loose, interior is in tact including the headliner. It needs front fenders but that is no worry. (It is amazing how many old cars in general are still lurking on the planet.) The owner's available time was limited on a Sunday so I made sure the body panels all fit and the hood and doors functioned OK. The car was semi accessible but surrounded with tons-o-stuff so I could not open the trunk. I was able to get a door open enough to look in but not get in. I got the hood open and all was clean and there. I was able to get underneath well enough to see that the frame is sound. The owner needs some time to move 20 years worth of stuff that's in the way and I need to get rid of a parts car to make room for it so it will be spring before its home. I have lots more questions on the Lark but I will buy some manuals and do searches first before posting more questions. Its a Burgundy color with a white vinyl top.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
            OK, here is the skinny on the idea of buying another car. I made an agreement with a gentleman on Sunday to buy his '65 Commander, 283, 2-speed auto. The bonus is that he is an only 1.5 hours from me so bringing it home will be low stress. I won't post any photos until it is actually home. It is a fairly decent 2DR that has been off the road and inside since the late 90's and driven up until that time. The motor is loose, interior is in tact including the headliner. It needs front fenders but that is no worry. (It is amazing how many old cars in general are still lurking on the planet.) The owner's available time was limited on a Sunday so I made sure the body panels all fit and the hood and doors functioned OK. The car was semi accessible but surrounded with tons-o-stuff so I could not open the trunk. I was able to get a door open enough to look in but not get in. I got the hood open and all was clean and there. I was able to get underneath well enough to see that the frame is sound. The owner needs some time to move 20 years worth of stuff that's in the way and I need to get rid of a parts car to make room for it so it will be spring before its home. I have lots more questions on the Lark but I will buy some manuals and do searches first before posting more questions. Its a Burgundy color with a white vinyl top.

JK
            It's a 3-speed borg warner auto, not a 2-speed powerglide. By the way, if you do this swap I could us most of the parts you're removing. I have a 1966 without the drivetrain. I have a 1966 283 engine but I need everything else.

Joe
            sigpic

1962 Daytona
            1964 Cruiser
            And a few others

Comment

Joe,

I will keep you in mind as I get into it this spring. If the 283 frees up and will run it for a while to do other stuff to the car first. PM me with email and phone number so we can keep in touch.

JK

Comment

I bought a 64 Lark Commander, that someone installed a 65 or 66 Studebaker 194 Gm 6 cylinder engine in to it. The starter bump on the bellhousing is touching the firewall. I checked a 66 Lark and the firewall is recessed to give room for the Gm starter bump on the bellhousing. The original 170 Studebaker has the starter on the other side of the engine, so you may want to check the 65 /66 firewall for clearance for a Studebaker engine.
                Last edited by SaskStude; 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM. Reason: JUst wanted to add more

Comment

Sask,

Interesting details. I will do some checking.

JK

Comment

I always thought the neat part of a 65 or 66 is you could put a 383 stroker in it and look stock .
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

If you would still be interested, I have a 1964 2Dr.Challenger that is very solid, good floors , trunk and dash.I bought this car before I had a stroke, triple bypass
                      and all that good junk.I can no longer work on it.
                      I was planning on making a R2 "Plain Brown Wrapper"
                      A friend of mine was going to finish it and added a like new 1964 Daytona frame.
                      (heavier gauge frame).
                      He developed health issues and gave up.
                      Body and frame $2000.00. 1963 R2 Powershift Hawk engine with all the correct carb, air cleaner ,super charger $6500.00.
                      Who wants to finish it? Wisconsin Title!
                      Robert Kapteyn
                      Joliet Ill.
                      815 212 2389 voice or text.
                      Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-04-2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X