Thread: De-Chevyizing A 65 / 66 Stude

President Member

De-Chevyizing A 65 / 66 Stude

Would it be difficult to put a Stude V8 into a 65 or 66 Stude? I am looking for a 64 Lark type body for the blower motor project. I assume it would be fairly easy to convert a Chevy powered 65 / 66 back to a Stude motor. I am in no hurry to acquire a car I just want to watch for a deal on a two door sedan. I would prefer a higher trim optioned car with a stick but not a requirement. I figure seeing as I would be replacing the whole motor it is not a necessity to start with a 64 V8.

JK

Actually pretty simple. Get the Studebaker motor mounts and put it in. Best to have the complete engine, bell housing and trans. Sounds like a major modification planned so exhaust and everything will most likely be changed anyway. If not, the header pipes will need to be replaced with the Studebaker parts. I don't think anything else is a problem with a stick, but an auto has a different kick down system to the carb.....I think.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    I have seen a ‘65 that was totally changed to real Studebaker running gear. Completely bolt-in but a parts car helps for the little pieces. A real “upgrade” to use the most over-used word on this forum.

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That conversion is a very noble endeavor and one that that will guarantee plenty of smiles! Like thunderations already mentioned, it's a relatively simple job of locating the proper motor mounts and alter the exhaust flow and you should be good. Mind the A/C condenser if you have one though, the hood may not clear!
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

I actually did this probably 10 years ago. I put a 289 power shift combo in a 66 Commander that was originally a 6cyl 3speed. I bought a 63 Lark for parts and just switched everything over. The Chevy frame mounts have som value so don't throw them out.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I actually did this probably 10 years ago. I put a 289 power shift combo in a 66 Commander that was originally a 6cyl 3speed. I bought a 63 Lark for parts and just switched everything over. The Chevy frame mounts have som value so don't throw them out.
    Hopefully that 63 Lark was consumed by rust. Shudder to think an restorable original 63 289 powershift car gave its life for this.

President Member
    This is heresy, BUT I cannot think of a better engine for longevity, versatility, and reliability than a small block Chevy. And parts are readilly available, cheap, and the machinist won't "Oh, My God, not a Studebaker" when you walk in the door. I forgot to mention that they don't weigh enough to make a suitable anchor for the USS Iowa.

President Member
    Between post #6 and #7 (ironically two different perspectives) maybe you would just be better off waiting for a '64 car. As you said, "I am in no hurry to acquire a car ... ."
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Quote Originally Posted by SScopelli View Post
    Hopefully that 63 Lark was consumed by rust. Shudder to think an restorable original 63 289 powershift car gave its life for this.
    Very rusty indeed. Plus the Powershift came from somewhere else.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

President Member
    Jeffry,

The Chevy point is well taken and I have owned a ton of them. I need a platform for the attached 299 Stude. It is not a question of finding a car with a good motor.

JK

SANY0531 (2).jpg

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3x2stude View Post
    Jeffry,

The Chevy point is well taken and I have owned a ton of them. I need a platform for the attached 299 Stude. It is not a question of finding a car with a good motor.

JK
    Probably don't care much if the hood is a little beat up either. Beautiful engine, post pix when you've done the install.

Bob
    , ,

Think I'd be looking for a Wagonaire. Looks like that engine might be able to haul a refrigerator sticking out of the roof.
    Jeffry,

JK

SANY0531 (2).jpg
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Champion Member
    Blog Entries
    looking to see what it would take to replace a broken flathead 6 & 3spd from a 58 scotsman 4 door and install a small block chevy or BB & 5spd, besides having to install motor and trany mounts. Any takers? with out a frame change. Anyone got pics of this.

Jeff want to build a hot rod.
    Last edited by Jeff Heermans; 01-11-2018 at 05:55 PM.

President Member
    Walking on my thread Dude but, it's cool.

JK

Champion Member
    Blog Entries
    sorry JK not sure how this works just joined. I want to build a hotrod and have a 58 4 door scotsman that the 6cyl just died. I have had other Hotrods 59 Biscayne , 67 SS camaro & my favorite was a 55 Belair 4 door i put a BB 427 500hp Rat & 5spd Borg warner trans, 12 bolt posi from a 67 camaro under the rear, very fast and fun to drive. So with that I'm wanting to build this 58 Scotsman in to a sleeper looking hot rod that I can drive around the country for fun.
    Jeff

Imagination and money. The more of each you have, the easier it is to accomplish. Stude frame might be a little weak for big HP without some attention. 6 banger frames were lighter material then V8's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heermans View Post
    looking to see what it would take to replace a broken flathead 6 & 3spd from a 58 scotsman 4 door and install a small block chevy or BB & 5spd, besides having to install motor and trany mounts. Any takers? with out a frame change. Anyone got pics of this.

1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Silver Hawk Member

The question of how to drop an SBC into a Studebaker has been asked and answered dozens of times, which is why you're not getting many responses. People get tired on saying the same things over and over. The search function on this forum leaves a lot to be desired, but using Google and adding "Studebaker Drivers Club forum" to your query should provide plenty of answers. Basically, there are no "kits" that can be purchased to make the job easier -- it will require a lot of fabrication. That said, a lot of people have made this swap, and asking a more specific question would probably get more responses.

Studebaker used 283 Chevys in their 65 and 66 models, so some factory parts (eg, motor mounts) may be available.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 01-13-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Silver Hawk Member

The Avanti's built after 1966 were SBC powered with a large crossmember added to the frame. The engine is essentially a dropin with the stock Avanti front mounts. The rear crossmember is a simple fabrication. Avanti rear ends are Dana 44's . The frames are all essentially the same for purposes of this discussion.

The biggest problem is getting the steering/exhaust manifold clearance which makes headers difficult. The 'vette 2 1/2" ram horns will work.

Here are a couple shots of my 74 Avanti with a 383 stroker and T56 six speed

100_1271.jpg 100_1275.jpg IMG_20161210_114927417.jpg

To keep this thread clean either start a thread about your project or PM me and we can share ideas.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 01-12-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    , ,

President Member
    OK, here is the skinny on the idea of buying another car. I made an agreement with a gentleman on Sunday to buy his '65 Commander, 283, 2-speed auto. The bonus is that he is an only 1.5 hours from me so bringing it home will be low stress. I won't post any photos until it is actually home. It is a fairly decent 2DR that has been off the road and inside since the late 90's and driven up until that time. The motor is loose, interior is in tact including the headliner. It needs front fenders but that is no worry. (It is amazing how many old cars in general are still lurking on the planet.) The owner's available time was limited on a Sunday so I made sure the body panels all fit and the hood and doors functioned OK. The car was semi accessible but surrounded with tons-o-stuff so I could not open the trunk. I was able to get a door open enough to look in but not get in. I got the hood open and all was clean and there. I was able to get underneath well enough to see that the frame is sound. The owner needs some time to move 20 years worth of stuff that's in the way and I need to get rid of a parts car to make room for it so it will be spring before its home. I have lots more questions on the Lark but I will buy some manuals and do searches first before posting more questions. Its a Burgundy color with a white vinyl top.

JK

OK, here is the skinny on the idea of buying another car. I made an agreement with a gentleman on Sunday to buy his '65 Commander, 283, 2-speed auto. The bonus is that he is an only 1.5 hours from me so bringing it home will be low stress. I won't post any photos until it is actually home. It is a fairly decent 2DR that has been off the road and inside since the late 90's and driven up until that time. The motor is loose, interior is in tact including the headliner. It needs front fenders but that is no worry. (It is amazing how many old cars in general are still lurking on the planet.) The owner's available time was limited on a Sunday so I made sure the body panels all fit and the hood and doors functioned OK. The car was semi accessible but surrounded with tons-o-stuff so I could not open the trunk. I was able to get a door open enough to look in but not get in. I got the hood open and all was clean and there. I was able to get underneath well enough to see that the frame is sound. The owner needs some time to move 20 years worth of stuff that's in the way and I need to get rid of a parts car to make room for it so it will be spring before its home. I have lots more questions on the Lark but I will buy some manuals and do searches first before posting more questions. Its a Burgundy color with a white vinyl top.

JK
    It's a 3-speed borg warner auto, not a 2-speed powerglide. By the way, if you do this swap I could us most of the parts you're removing. I have a 1966 without the drivetrain. I have a 1966 283 engine but I need everything else.

Joe

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

President Member
    Joe,

I will keep you in mind as I get into it this spring. If the 283 frees up and will run it for a while to do other stuff to the car first. PM me with email and phone number so we can keep in touch.

JK

Champion Member
    I bought a 64 Lark Commander, that someone installed a 65 or 66 Studebaker 194 Gm 6 cylinder engine in to it. The starter bump on the bellhousing is touching the firewall. I checked a 66 Lark and the firewall is recessed to give room for the Gm starter bump on the bellhousing. The original 170 Studebaker has the starter on the other side of the engine, so you may want to check the 65 /66 firewall for clearance for a Studebaker engine.
    Last edited by SaskStude; 02-01-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: JUst wanted to add more

President Member
    Sask,

Interesting details. I will do some checking.

JK

President Member
    I always thought the neat part of a 65 or 66 is you could put a 383 stroker in it and look stock .
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

President Member
    If you would still be interested, I have a 1964 2Dr.Challenger that is very solid, good floors , trunk and dash.I bought this car before I had a stroke, triple bypass
    and all that good junk.I can no longer work on it.
    I was planning on making a R2 "Plain Brown Wrapper"
    A friend of mine was going to finish it and added a like new 1964 Daytona frame.
    (heavier gauge frame).
    He developed health issues and gave up.
    Body and frame $2000.00. 1963 R2 Powershift Hawk engine with all the correct carb, air cleaner ,super charger $6500.00.
    Who wants to finish it? Wisconsin Title!
    Robert Kapteyn
    Joliet Ill.
    815 212 2389 voice or text.
    Last edited by rkapteyn; 02-04-2018 at 02:11 PM.