Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think Golden Hawk prices are getting silly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think Golden Hawk prices are getting silly?

The owner of this SC/Rambler turned down a $55,000 bid at the Mecum Kissimmee sale!

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Don't know what they should bring $$, but as a young kid thought they were pretty cool, though If I saw half a hand full running around ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
      Don't know what they should bring $$, but as a young kid thought they were pretty cool, though If I saw half a hand full running around ?
      They are cool, Joe; I love 'em.

I drove three Rambler Americans (at different times) as daily drivers after Studebaker ceased production; a 1964 American 440 convertible, a 1967 Rogue V-8 convertible, and a 1968 Rogue 2-door hardtop. Great little cars with a personality not unlike 1964 "Larks."

I haven't followed those SC/Ramblers too closely, but haven't heard of any selling over $50,000, yet this guy turned down a $55,000 bid. Of course, that's assuming it was a real bid. (You never know.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It looks suspiciously like this one that was at the 2016 MCACN show:

Craig

Comment

That doesn't seem like enough to me considering the excellent condition, rarity, eye appeal, etc.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, Craig, but they all look pretty much the same when they are in the correct restored or original condition.

EDIT: Looks like different tires (look at the tread pattern).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

This reminds me of my niece when she was a teenager driving an almost new (two years old?) plain Hornet sedan with a 360. She fooled a lot of people in their Mustangs, etc. with that one.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Bob, our next door neighbor was an executive at AMC and he drove VW's until he was advised to drive an AMC automobile. They didn't like seeing the VW parked in his reserved spot. So he bought one of these and it was an unbelievable machine. Downright scary! He traded it on an AMX which he kept till he passed away. AMC built some really neat cars that seem to go under the radar. Bill

Comment

Back about 1969 - 71 Uncle Bill "really just a good Friend of the Family" had two Rambler Americans. I think they were both 1964s,and were both 2 doors. the one I liked best was a Brown/Brownish metallic with a White top,such a nice clean car in and out and He would just ease on down the road with the 6 cyl. auto. My Father used to bust on Him,saying He wished it had a 390 so He could take it out for some fun drives with Uncle Bill riding shot gun

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

I drove three Rambler Americans (at different times) as daily drivers after Studebaker ceased production; a 1964 American 440 convertible, a 1967 Rogue V-8 convertible, and a 1968 Rogue 2-door hardtop. Great little cars with a personality not unlike 1964 "Larks."

I haven't followed those SC/Ramblers too closely, but haven't heard of any selling over $50,000, yet this guy turned down a $55,000 bid. Of course, that's assuming it was a real bid. (You never know.) BP
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    This reminds me of my niece when she was a teenager driving an almost new (two years old?) plain Hornet sedan with a 360. She fooled a lot of people in their Mustangs, etc. with that one.
                    There was one of them at the 2015 MCACN show:

And a '69 SC/Rambler in the 'B' paint scheme.

Craig
                    Last edited by 8E45E; 01-06-2018, 06:25 AM. Reason: Changed photo

Comment

I too have had a soft spot for the 64 on Americans. A next door neighbor of my grandmother had a real neat 64 red metallic 2 door hardtop with the "twin stick" overdrive, console, bucket seats. One "dream project" I've had in the back of my head has been a Gremlin with either a 390 or 401 4 speed. I'm sure I'd need wheelie bars too on that one!
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I can say this because it was long after Studebaker was out of the car business: The 1971 Hornet SC/360 with a $2,663 MSRP in 1970 dollars (when introduced) was a screaming good deal for high performance. True, so was the 1968 Plymouth Road Runner coupe at $2,870, but the Hornet SC/360 was brought to market after three years of inflation might have taken a toll on the "value" of $2,870.

In fact, the 1971 Hornet SC/360 at $2,663 would have been a better value, adjusted for inflation, than a 1964 Challenger V8 two door with R1 engine, Climatizer, vinyl upholstery, and mandatory seat belts, which would have carried a $2,423 MSRP in late 1963. (Options added to the Stude to try to make the two offerings equal as to equipment).

According to the USD Inflation Calculator, $2,423 in the fall of 1963 should have been $3,072 in the fall of 1970, not the $2,663 AMC was asking for a 1971 Hornet SC/360 at introduction...hmmmm....maybe that's why the Hornet SC/360 was a one-year-only offering, plus the fact that they sold only 784 of them, barely half of the 1,512 1969 SC/Ramblers sold at $2,998 each. (Of course, SC/Ramblers had a 4-speed standard equipment, whereas the Hornet SC/360s had a three-speed standard equipment.)

Interesting discussion....both Plymouth and AMC offered low-priced, packaged hot rods and Studebaker could have done the same. Doggone it, 'wish Studebaker had survived that long.

(BTW, there's a hot 1971 Hornet SC/360 that runs at The Pure Stock Drags. His best time and speed at the 2017 event was 12.902 ET and 109.07 MPH!)

Thanks for the photos added to this thread, Craig. BP

Comment

Interesting discussion....both Plymouth and AMC offered low-priced, packaged hot rods and Studebaker could have done the same. Doggone it, 'wish Studebaker had survived that long.
                          And it would have been neat if they called it The Dictator, in keeping with reviving a former model name!

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 01-06-2018, 06:55 AM.

Comment

I guess we are just attracted to the independents who could produce "what ifs". It is still a pretty cool car in a world dominated with Novas, Dusters and Mavericks. I think this may be the first dual quad one I have seen. I had a late 60's AMC Rebel with a 343 and it was quite fast for a car that size. And the trans shifted like one of ours!
                            Thanks for the post and the memories.
                            Bill

Comment

Bob Palma: Current listed values for a 1969 AMC Hurst SC/Rambler from one online car site.
                              Concours 74,500
                              Excellent 56,000
                              Good 45,000

John S.

Comment

Working...
                              X