Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
    Steve,
    no information to add, but for my '57 Golden Hawk, I'm in the same position as you (was "restored"??? , molested? and repainted by I HOPE "some kid" who didn't know any better). I have MANY parts where the hardware is obviously not matching, (where I am fortunate enough to see the remaining originals) but question many other locations, as well as obviously missing parts I've obtained but "don't know what the hardware looks like". The bumper bolt-set photo posted is exactly one I'll be needing; mine had only the steel parts. What a great (and daunting!) project, but would benefit so many! Thanks for WHATEVER progress you are able to make on it! Anything is better than nothing, and like a puzzle, missing pieces may be 'interpolated' from the similar numbers AROUND it/them, and only size or dimensions are different and can be more closely estimated because of what you HAVE found and recorded. GOOD LUCK!
    Thanks for your encouragement Barry, I realise what I'm in for but will depend on others like you to help. Because you and I are in an almost identical place, don't be surprised if i lean on ya a little!
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
      In most cases, if you have a question, just ask the forum. If anyone wanted to get more pics, I have a huge stash of NOS nuts, bolts, springs, clips, hardware and also know most of the applications. I also have 3 dozen cars from 53-66 and some trucks I can photo.

I often have things on Ebay motors under vintage car/truck/studebaker NOS with pics as do many others. I steal info all the time from there as far as part numbers on Unidentified items and applications.....

The SDC meets are also a good place to cross reference these things. I doubt any vendor would refuse you to take pictures of their stuff.
      ( Bring your camera to the 2018 International meet)

The old SASCO had the most hardware of all, it is now SI. Some of the stuff has been cataloged and I presume maybe pictures exist?
      Thanks (S), don't be surprised if I give you a yell, some day. I believe SI has a fasteners list by part numbers- I'd like to provide photographs of as many of these as possible. I don't want to be pestering anybody and will try to glean as much information as I can on my own, but will be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
      Steve

Comment

Would somebody mind measuring the OD and estimate the thickness of the washer (pn 41X204) that is used in securing V8 rocker covers. I believe it ought to be 7/8" OD and over 16ga in thickness, whereas I have a total mixture on the covers. Can somebody kindly confirm it one way or another and I will add it to my lengthening list (as well as sort out the car!).
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Winzar View Post
          Would somebody mind measuring the OD and estimate the thickness of the washer (pn 41X204) that is used in securing V8 rocker covers. I believe it ought to be 7/8" OD and over 16ga in thickness, whereas I have a total mixture on the covers. Can somebody kindly confirm it one way or another and I will add it to my lengthening list (as well as sort out the car!).
          Steve
          Steve-
          I have a couple of 41x204 washers, and they measure 3/8" ID and 1.0" OD. My cheap caliber says the thickness is exactly 0.1" -- about a 12ga. BTW, they made a chrome version, numbered 41X204W.

IRT your initial post, I started working on a listing of Stude hardware numbers that I knew existed. To make it easier, I started with standard bolts. Here's what I got done so far. My intent is to put the data in a simple MS Word table, which would make it easy to add entries. Lemme know if this kind of thing would be of any value. Note that I don't actually have examples of them all, so no pix so far.

USS Coarse thread bolts
          G180016: ¼-20 x ½
          G180020: “ x ¾
          G180022: “ x 1
          G180024: “ x 1 ¼

G180073: 5/16-18 x ½
          G180077 & G179816: 5/16-18 x ¾
          G180078: “ x 7/8
          G180079: “ x 1
          G180081 & 1-0520: “ x 1 ¼
          1-0528 & 13x416: “ x 1 ¾
          1-0530: “ x 1 7/8
          G180087 & G179826: “ x 2
          1-0538: “ x 2 ¼
          G179830: “ x 3

G180121: 3/8-16 x 7/8
          G180122: “ x 1
          G180123: “ x 1 1/8
          G180124: “ x 1 ¼
          G179843: “ x 1 ½
          G179845: x “ 1 ¾
          G179851: “ x 2 ¾

G180145: 7/16-14 x 1
          G180147: “ x 1 ¼
          G180149: “ x 1 ½

G180177 & 1-0824U: ½-13 x 1 ½
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Hi Skip- as they used to say in my army reserve days- "well done, that man" .
            I reckon this is a particularly good example of why I wish to take on this task. I have one washer correct in fact- the rest are bitzers. it would appear that these are a special washer as they don't conform to SAE or UNS charts. I did not realise there was a chromed version. Here in Australia, you are likely to end up with a car like mine that has suffered somewhat and has BSW and even Metric stuff on it. And your AF spanners don't fit!

This list is pretty much what I was up for, although pictures were an added benefit in the case of 'special ' washers and slotted locknuts, etc etc.
            Of course, bog standard UNC and UNF bolts probably don' t need anything more than a sample pic (or maybe a Photoshopped version).
            I would be pleased to utilise your opus with your approval (and credit) of course ?
            Collecting information - so far, so good. When I have something I believe to be presentable, I will Blog it and make it known.
            Which reminds me: now that I have finally recalled my ID and password, I oughta try finishing off my Flightomatic repair Blog
            Steve

Comment

My body parts catalog pictures and describes fasteners from 1936 to 1946 under Standard Parts. Wouldn't there be a similar list for later models. Maybe Richard Quinn would know.
              My 1953 - 1958 Body Parts Catalog also has fasteners pictured but with the part they apply such as moldings.

Comment

AFAIK, none of Studebaker's hardware items with X part numbers are standard hardware-store items. They were/are common to the automotive industry, however. GM used to publish a Standard Parts Catalog that included many of the same items, with GM part numbers, of course. A lot of that stuff is still available, but you have to have access to a GM dealer's computer to ID it.

The SI catalog shows the 41X204 washers are still available for 15 cents apiece. There are about a dozen other 41X washers listed, too.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                X