Thread: Door Window Channel

Champion Member

Door Window Channel

Hello: I am working on my '51 Champion Starlight Coupe door window installation. What I am trying to do is install new window channels. Specifically the approximately 17 inch long U channel that goes on the door latch side of the window. Originally the channel is attached to the two brackets with rivets. I purchased new U channels from SI for the purpose. I drilled out the rivets in the old one but discovered the old channels have a recess for the rivet head. But it I just rivet the brackets to the new channel I am afraid the
    rivet heads will contact the glass. To those who have done this, how did you attach the new channel to the old brackets? Thanks for any and all advice. Larry

Stude window channel.jpg

Speedster Member
    Go ahead and drill the holes in the u-channel. Then find some old hunk of fine-grained hardwood and drill a shallow hole in it about 1/16" dia larger than the rivet heads. (I actually prefer to use pan head screws and nuts. Place the U-channel over the hole in the hardwood and with a punch the size of the rivet head gently form the back of the channel down into the wood with some surprisingly light hammer blows. Might want to do a test somewhere in the middle of your new channel where it wont matter.

What Ross said.
    I laid mine on soft pine rather than hardwood. Then drilling a recess wasn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    What Ross said.
    I laid mine on soft pine rather than hardwood. Then drilling a recess wasn't necessary.
    I've done similar. The ball end of an old push rod works to punch a recess, or use a steel ball and a flat punch to tap the ball. I save various size ball bearings for jobs like this.

Champion Member
    Thanks for the good tips, I will use them. I will also take the suggestion to use pan head screws instead of rivets.

Larry

Champion Member
    Got the side channels taken care of, (see top post), and am now trying to set the door glass into the bottom channel. I have the setting tape I purchased from SI, but when I try to fold it over the glass it breaks apart. Should I soak it in something first? What about using one of the urethane glass setting materials? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R View Post
    What about using one of the urethane glass setting materials?
    That's what I did. Just don't ever plan on removing it without it being a huge PITA. Should last long enough to be someone else's problem.

Champion Member
    How much urethane did you put in the channel? I would guess a little too much is better than not enough! My car after it came out of paint.

Thanks for your tips. LarryP1010197A.jpg

Silver Hawk Member
    I have some good flexible glass setting tape if you want to go that way.

Champion Member
    I might interested, what thickness is it? It would bend around the glass?

Silver Hawk Member
    Will not be able to look until Wed.

Champion Member
    Thanks anyway, I have found a local source for what I need.

Silver Hawk Member
    For the record, it is 1479x17, which is 3/32".