Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My FIRST CAR, a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My FIRST CAR, a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk!

Hey howdy hey! Just another newbie SDC member out of Florida here just commenting that I am loving all of this camaraderie! This is, evidently, a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk. Saved up $15,000 for her over a period of 7 years and I am not regretting it one bit so far. By the way, I am just a 17 year old boy. How about them apples!? Anyway, her name is Daisy-Mae and the world will recognize her as such! Is it not depressing how the GT Hawk sort of faded away from the limelight after the demise of Studebaker's automotive division? The Avanti and '53 coupe seem to get all the attention!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plaque.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1756308Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior.JPG
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1756309Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End.JPG
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1756306Click image for larger version

Name:	Back End.JPG
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1756307
    Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 12-28-2017, 09:43 AM. Reason: grammatical mistake
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

She's a beauty. Welcome to the addiction.
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Nice Hawk! GT Hawks are my favorite, you can actually place an adult or two in the rear seat comfortably. Enjoy and drive her a lot!

Comment

I've never owned a GT in all my decades with Studebakers, but have always admired the formal elegance.
        And it's a wise choice to save up to buy one that can give you immediate satisfaction. Well done!
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          I've never owned a GT in all my decades with Studebakers, but have always admired the formal elegance.
          And it's a wise choice to save up to buy one that can give you immediate satisfaction. Well done!

Appreciate it! You have no idea the obstacles that stood in my way, from personal problems to people with more venom in them than a cobra. It was certainly worth it though!
          Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Congrats Stude Shoo-wop. I have a fully restored; major $$, 63 GT Hawk that I purchased from the estate of a local member car club owner. The car was purchased locally in NJ back in Oct of 62. When Jess Jordan; original owner, passed away, I brought the car to the Memorial Chapel as a respectful act. As the family was leaving, they saw the restored car and rushed over with tears, as they touched the car, the tears flowed and they all shared amazing stories of the car and all the travels. Enjoy the car, and especially enjoy all the smiles, nodes and happy faces from those that will and can share stories about a car that was in the family. Be patient, and allow them to relive what you now have.
            Just recently I acquired an original California car, a 64 Super Hawk. This is a 4 speed, factory A/C, Avanti R1 engine and an amazing suspension.
            Enjoy, drive and smile.

Comment

BTW, read my last post about.......last drive before the snow

Comment

'Looks like a nice GT, Shoo-wop. Congratulations and welcome to SDC.

Have you joined the club yet? If not, you can do so by clicking on the appropriate link in this forum's heading. BP.
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  'Looks like a nice GT, Shoo-wop. Congratulations and welcome to SDC.

Have you joined the club yet? If not, you can do so by clicking on the appropriate link in this forum's heading. BP.
                  Thanks BobPalma but I already joined SDC! Membership number: A020254K.

Comment

Beautiful car! Looks like you also got the rare am/fm in it. Plus a 4 speed. What a great buy!

Mark

Comment

The 62 GT is my favorite of the GTs. Yes, the 63-64 models had the hotter engines, but I just like the 62 better. You got a 4 speed which is a big plus. My car was an automatic and it was a fine driving car, but not as exciting to drive. Yours is also an unusual color which will make it stand out among the others.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Jake, congrats on your new Hawk and welcome to the world of Studebakers. I joined this forum when I was 15 years old in 2005.. Not much younger than you are now.

Welcome to the madness and you've got a car that'll make some of the old timers envious. A 4 speed Hawk with AC is a good one to have.

BTW, I sent you an email as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover
                          The most original non restored '62 GT I ever saw was owned by John and Helen Myer who purchased the car new......they were among the initial people who founded the SDC with Harry and Nora Barnes back in the mid 1960's...I often wonder what happened to that GT, as they had passed away years ago.
                          I wouldn't refer to their Hawk as "most original", with modifications such as the side marker lights that John cut into the sides of it.

They were also not among the original, founding members of SDC. SDC was founded in 1962. They may have become members in the "mid 1960's". I didn't become a member until 1968, when I first learned of SDC.

I have also wondered what happened to their Hawk. I haven't seen it in years. They did have a daughter.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I bought my Commander when I was 15 but that was many moons ago.

Comment

Jake, she's a beauty and you should be very proud. I too have a GT('63) which I have been proud to own for 50 years as I too purchased mine when I was 18(thanks to Mom 'cause Dad said NO). Another anomaly for you as I see it, is your car is a stick and most young folk these days can't and don't want to drive a standard transmission. I agree with Hawklover as the factory tips set the car apart from other makes & models.
                              Congratulations on your fine acquisition as well as the manner in which you attained it. You justly deserve the credit in keeping the Studebaker nameplate in good standing.
                              Speaking of which, have you tried to chase down the original owner on the dash plate? It might prove interesting.
                              Cheers, Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X