Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My FIRST CAR, a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a peek for comments from a fellow Floridian in your private messages.
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Take real care with that trunk overlay.
      They are easily scratched, and the paint is sensitive.
      And they are expensive to find anymore.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
        Congratulations on your fine acquisition as well as the manner in which you attained it. You justly deserve the credit in keeping the Studebaker nameplate in good standing.
        Speaking of which, have you tried to chase down the original owner on the dash plate? It might prove interesting.
        Cheers, Bill
        Thank you very much Buzzard. It means a lot to be so quickly and fervently accepted by the old hands here in this forum. All I wish to be is a positive credit to the Studebaker marque and be a true-blue enthusiast. Of course, I wish to obtain that without growing disdain for other brands, just that Studebaker may hold distinction. As for your question regarding the dash plate, the original owner was a Ms. Helen M. Potter out of Sacramento, CA. After doing some research I found out that she passed away not three years ago.

P.S. - She ordered factory air but not POWER STEERING OR POWER BRAKES. Makes for an interesting time!
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Jake,
          Great info on the original owner. You are already digging deep into Studebakerland and I know you will have a ball. There is so much information on this forum that with a little learning curve you will fit right in.
          Get all the owner shop manuals and study. There is a lot of good information available to someone like yourself who is very willing to learn. You will find that most of the basic maintenance is doable by yourself and don't forget in Florida you have Matthew Burnette to show the way when the going gets tough.
          Enjoy and Happy New Year!
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
            Jake,
            Get all the owner shop manuals and study. There is a lot of good information available to someone like yourself who is very willing to learn. You will find that most of the basic maintenance is doable by yourself and don't forget in Florida you have Matthew Burnette to show the way when the going gets tough.
            Enjoy and Happy New Year!
            Bill
            Aye...I have the corresponding Shop, Chassis, and Body Manuals (for 1959-1964) that came with the car already. However, I did start to study them and am fascinated by the simultaneous complexity and simplicity of my car. As for Matthew Burnette, I had a private discussion with him and can agree that he is an excellent resource and (possibly) a good friend.

Happy New Year to you as well!

-- Jake
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              The 62 GT is my favorite of the GTs. Yes, the 63-64 models had the hotter engines, but I just like the 62 better. You got a 4 speed which is a big plus. My car was an automatic and it was a fine driving car, but not as exciting to drive. Yours is also an unusual color which will make it stand out among the others.
              I'm in complete agreement with you when it comes to design purity. The 62s best reflect the theme of "modernized 53 coupe" more than the others and I like that aspect very much. As for the color, you may be interested to know that it is (to the best of my knowledge) Metallic Green Poly P-6213 mixed with other hues to create a totally unique shade of green. Luckily I do have a bottle of touch up paint for the inevitable scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
                I'm in complete agreement with you when it comes to design purity. The 62s best reflect the theme of "modernized 53 coupe" more than the others and I like that aspect very much. As for the color, you may be interested to know that it is (to the best of my knowledge) Metallic Green Poly P-6213 mixed with other hues to create a totally unique shade of green. Luckily I do have a bottle of touch up paint for the inevitable scratch.
                Wow, Jake, you are an impressive person with design, humor, mechanical, personal and intuitive skills. You remind me of a Cadillac friend of mine who got his first car at your age and he is still as passionate (at the age of 21) as you seem to be about Studebakers now. You are an enthusiastic asset to the Studebaker community. BTW, I am a fan of all Studebakers - 2 or 4 doors and all years - and I have always particularly admired the GT hawks. Welcome! Bob...

Comment

Very nice choice! Course I'm prejudiced having a 4 speed '62 GT as my only Studebaker. Your post reminded me that I need to reattach the original owner's plate to the glove box door.

Wayne

Comment

GT Hawk that I owned with a 4 speed is one of the cars that I regret having sold. Enjoy every minute of her and give the thumbs you get waves back

Bob Miles
                    Tucson AZ

Comment

Wow what a good choice of car! And yes that it's your first car makes all the more awesome

I'm waiting for a 63 GT to arrive from the US so that tells you what I think of the GT design...

I still own the first car that I bought at the age of 17 back in 2006.. a 1960 Corvair and it helped me catch my wife while studying! So happy hunting to you
                      Last edited by mitka88; 06-17-2018, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitka88 View Post
                        Wow what a good choice of car! And yes that it's your first car makes all the more awesome

I'm waiting for a 63 GT to arrive from the US so that tells you what I think of the GT design...

I still own the first car that I bought at the age of 17 back in 2006.. a 1960 Corvair and it helped me catch my wife while studying! So happy hunting to you
                        You’re only a year older than I am. Always nice to see more young guys with Studebakers. Congrats on your new car!

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                          You’re only a year older than I am. Always nice to see more young guys with Studebakers. Congrats on your new car!
                          Thanks! Hopefully it will be a decent car when it arrives We should have our own group: Studebaker owners born after the extition of the dinosaurs

Comment

Originally posted by mitka88 View Post
                            We should have our own group: Studebaker owners born after the extinction of the dinosaurs
                            I resemble that remark (as in old), and I think you have a good idea. It's never a bad idea do get folks together of a similar background, propose changes/improvements and effect change. There's strength in numbers.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X