Thread: My FIRST CAR, a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk!

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

My FIRST CAR, a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk!

Hey howdy hey! Just another newbie SDC member out of Florida here just commenting that I am loving all of this camaraderie! This is, evidently, a 1962 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk. Saved up $15,000 for her over a period of 7 years and I am not regretting it one bit so far. By the way, I am just a 17 year old boy. How about them apples!? Anyway, her name is Daisy-Mae and the world will recognize her as such! Is it not depressing how the GT Hawk sort of faded away from the limelight after the demise of Studebaker's automotive division? The Avanti and '53 coupe seem to get all the attention!

Plaque.JPGInterior.JPGFront End.JPGBack End.JPG
    Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 12-28-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: grammatical mistake

President Member
    She's a beauty. Welcome to the addiction.

Nice Hawk! GT Hawks are my favorite, you can actually place an adult or two in the rear seat comfortably. Enjoy and drive her a lot!

I've never owned a GT in all my decades with Studebakers, but have always admired the formal elegance.
    And it's a wise choice to save up to buy one that can give you immediate satisfaction. Well done!
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    I've never owned a GT in all my decades with Studebakers, but have always admired the formal elegance.
    And it's a wise choice to save up to buy one that can give you immediate satisfaction. Well done!

Appreciate it! You have no idea the obstacles that stood in my way, from personal problems to people with more venom in them than a cobra. It was certainly worth it though!

Congrats Stude Shoo-wop. I have a fully restored; major $$, 63 GT Hawk that I purchased from the estate of a local member car club owner. The car was purchased locally in NJ back in Oct of 62. When Jess Jordan; original owner, passed away, I brought the car to the Memorial Chapel as a respectful act. As the family was leaving, they saw the restored car and rushed over with tears, as they touched the car, the tears flowed and they all shared amazing stories of the car and all the travels. Enjoy the car, and especially enjoy all the smiles, nodes and happy faces from those that will and can share stories about a car that was in the family. Be patient, and allow them to relive what you now have.
    Just recently I acquired an original California car, a 64 Super Hawk. This is a 4 speed, factory A/C, Avanti R1 engine and an amazing suspension.
    Enjoy, drive and smile.

BTW, read my last post about.......last drive before the snow

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    'Looks like a nice GT, Shoo-wop. Congratulations and welcome to SDC.

Have you joined the club yet? If not, you can do so by clicking on the appropriate link in this forum's heading. BP.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    'Looks like a nice GT, Shoo-wop. Congratulations and welcome to SDC.

Have you joined the club yet? If not, you can do so by clicking on the appropriate link in this forum's heading. BP.
    Thanks BobPalma but I already joined SDC! Membership number: A020254K.

Beautiful car! Looks like you also got the rare am/fm in it. Plus a 4 speed. What a great buy!

Mark

The 62 GT is my favorite of the GTs. Yes, the 63-64 models had the hotter engines, but I just like the 62 better. You got a 4 speed which is a big plus. My car was an automatic and it was a fine driving car, but not as exciting to drive. Yours is also an unusual color which will make it stand out among the others.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Golden Hawk Member
    Jake, congrats on your new Hawk and welcome to the world of Studebakers. I joined this forum when I was 15 years old in 2005.. Not much younger than you are now.

Welcome to the madness and you've got a car that'll make some of the old timers envious. A 4 speed Hawk with AC is a good one to have.

BTW, I sent you an email as well.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawklover View Post
    The most original non restored '62 GT I ever saw was owned by John and Helen Myer who purchased the car new......they were among the initial people who founded the SDC with Harry and Nora Barnes back in the mid 1960's...I often wonder what happened to that GT, as they had passed away years ago.
    I wouldn't refer to their Hawk as "most original", with modifications such as the side marker lights that John cut into the sides of it.

They were also not among the original, founding members of SDC. SDC was founded in 1962. They may have become members in the "mid 1960's". I didn't become a member until 1968, when I first learned of SDC.

I have also wondered what happened to their Hawk. I haven't seen it in years. They did have a daughter.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I bought my Commander when I was 15 but that was many moons ago.

President Member
    Jake, she's a beauty and you should be very proud. I too have a GT('63) which I have been proud to own for 50 years as I too purchased mine when I was 18(thanks to Mom 'cause Dad said NO). Another anomaly for you as I see it, is your car is a stick and most young folk these days can't and don't want to drive a standard transmission. I agree with Hawklover as the factory tips set the car apart from other makes & models.
    Congratulations on your fine acquisition as well as the manner in which you attained it. You justly deserve the credit in keeping the Studebaker nameplate in good standing.
    Speaking of which, have you tried to chase down the original owner on the dash plate? It might prove interesting.
    Cheers, Bill

Take a peek for comments from a fellow Floridian in your private messages.
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Take real care with that trunk overlay.
    They are easily scratched, and the paint is sensitive.
    And they are expensive to find anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Congratulations on your fine acquisition as well as the manner in which you attained it. You justly deserve the credit in keeping the Studebaker nameplate in good standing.
    Speaking of which, have you tried to chase down the original owner on the dash plate? It might prove interesting.
    Cheers, Bill
    Thank you very much Buzzard. It means a lot to be so quickly and fervently accepted by the old hands here in this forum. All I wish to be is a positive credit to the Studebaker marque and be a true-blue enthusiast. Of course, I wish to obtain that without growing disdain for other brands, just that Studebaker may hold distinction. As for your question regarding the dash plate, the original owner was a Ms. Helen M. Potter out of Sacramento, CA. After doing some research I found out that she passed away not three years ago.

P.S. - She ordered factory air but not POWER STEERING OR POWER BRAKES. Makes for an interesting time!
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - completely finished in driveable condition.

President Member
    Jake,
    Great info on the original owner. You are already digging deep into Studebakerland and I know you will have a ball. There is so much information on this forum that with a little learning curve you will fit right in.
    Get all the owner shop manuals and study. There is a lot of good information available to someone like yourself who is very willing to learn. You will find that most of the basic maintenance is doable by yourself and don't forget in Florida you have Matthew Burnette to show the way when the going gets tough.
    Enjoy and Happy New Year!
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Jake,
    Get all the owner shop manuals and study. There is a lot of good information available to someone like yourself who is very willing to learn. You will find that most of the basic maintenance is doable by yourself and don't forget in Florida you have Matthew Burnette to show the way when the going gets tough.
    Enjoy and Happy New Year!
    Bill
    Aye...I have the corresponding Shop, Chassis, and Body Manuals (for 1959-1964) that came with the car already. However, I did start to study them and am fascinated by the simultaneous complexity and simplicity of my car. As for Matthew Burnette, I had a private discussion with him and can agree that he is an excellent resource and (possibly) a good friend.

Happy New Year to you as well!

-- Jake
    Jake Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 52-fan View Post
    The 62 GT is my favorite of the GTs. Yes, the 63-64 models had the hotter engines, but I just like the 62 better. You got a 4 speed which is a big plus. My car was an automatic and it was a fine driving car, but not as exciting to drive. Yours is also an unusual color which will make it stand out among the others.
    I'm in complete agreement with you when it comes to design purity. The 62s best reflect the theme of "modernized 53 coupe" more than the others and I like that aspect very much. As for the color, you may be interested to know that it is (to the best of my knowledge) Metallic Green Poly P-6213 mixed with other hues to create a totally unique shade of green. Luckily I do have a bottle of touch up paint for the inevitable scratch.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    I'm in complete agreement with you when it comes to design purity. The 62s best reflect the theme of "modernized 53 coupe" more than the others and I like that aspect very much. As for the color, you may be interested to know that it is (to the best of my knowledge) Metallic Green Poly P-6213 mixed with other hues to create a totally unique shade of green. Luckily I do have a bottle of touch up paint for the inevitable scratch.
    Wow, Jake, you are an impressive person with design, humor, mechanical, personal and intuitive skills. You remind me of a Cadillac friend of mine who got his first car at your age and he is still as passionate (at the age of 21) as you seem to be about Studebakers now. You are an enthusiastic asset to the Studebaker community. BTW, I am a fan of all Studebakers - 2 or 4 doors and all years - and I have always particularly admired the GT hawks. Welcome! Bob...

Commander Member
    Very nice choice! Course I'm prejudiced having a 4 speed '62 GT as my only Studebaker. Your post reminded me that I need to reattach the original owner's plate to the glove box door.

Wayne

President Member
    GT Hawk that I owned with a 4 speed is one of the cars that I regret having sold. Enjoy every minute of her and give the thumbs you get waves back

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Champion Member
    Wow what a good choice of car! And yes that it's your first car makes all the more awesome

I'm waiting for a 63 GT to arrive from the US so that tells you what I think of the GT design...

I still own the first car that I bought at the age of 17 back in 2006.. a 1960 Corvair and it helped me catch my wife while studying! So happy hunting to you
    Last edited by mitka88; 06-17-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitka88 View Post
    Wow what a good choice of car! And yes that it's your first car makes all the more awesome

I'm waiting for a 63 GT to arrive from the US so that tells you what I think of the GT design...

I still own the first car that I bought at the age of 17 back in 2006.. a 1960 Corvair and it helped me catch my wife while studying! So happy hunting to you
    You’re only a year older than I am. Always nice to see more young guys with Studebakers. Congrats on your new car!

Champion Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    You’re only a year older than I am. Always nice to see more young guys with Studebakers. Congrats on your new car!
    Thanks! Hopefully it will be a decent car when it arrives We should have our own group: Studebaker owners born after the extition of the dinosaurs

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitka88 View Post
    We should have our own group: Studebaker owners born after the extinction of the dinosaurs
    I resemble that remark (as in old), and I think you have a good idea. It's never a bad idea do get folks together of a similar background, propose changes/improvements and effect change. There's strength in numbers.

Bob
    , ,