Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NEW Vertical Format Turning Wheels -Opinions

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avantidon View Post
    Devan NO FEAR!!! Plastic bags are here to stay as most magazines use them today. In fact all that I receive excluding Old Cars Weekly use them
    I guess that you receive different automobile magazines than I do. I receive Car & Driver, Automobile and Road & Track. None of these come in plastic.
    I am in favor of Turning Wheels in plastic if the cost is not too high.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Got my new vertical Turning Wheels today.... love it ! Thanks to all responsible ! It is also the only magazine I receive in a bag, studegary

Well, there are several others that use poly bags to include AutoWeek and Hemmings Classic Cars as well as Automobile, the AACA's magazine I guess some are less concerned about damage than others. As I said before TW will always come in a Pol Bag as the cost is insignificant in comparison to the total cost of printing the magazine and ensuring its delivery, as best we can, in good condition.
    See you in the future as I write about our past

Commander Member
    When I read the new format TW magazine, came in Tuesday's mail, I was pleased!

My reaction to the vertical format and call for new pictures was just continue to print the inner covers and back page in the wide format. I can turn the magazine ninety degrees just fine. I recall doing just this years ago with other magazines whose center pictures were turned... I never complained back then it was too hard to turn the magazine....
    Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Speedster Member
    Gary,

Collectible Automobile comes in plastic as does Antique Automobile (the AACA monthly pubs). Both are high quality layouts. Hemmings Classic Cars does not come in a plastic bag but I've never had a problem with damage. BTW, all three pubs use portrait format on their covers and the photos of cars look great.

Frank

President Member

Excellent Job Ann!

My January Turning Wheels arrived today, January 10th. I am very pleased with the magnificent job Ann Turner has done with the new format. Even though our longtime landscape format served us well for many years, the new portrait format is a great improvement.

Most members are likely not aware that this was not a snap decision to make the change, as it had been under review and planning for close to two years. Although Ann deserves the kudos for the design and preparation, SDC VP Don Jones has to be complimented for all the legwork he has performed to bring this change about.

As time goes on, members will see subtle improvements. The Board is listening so be sure to keep your constructive comments coming. We still have delivery problems which I will address in the new thread posted today by Old Fart.

Stu Chapman

TW, Road and Track, Sports car market, Octane, sportscar, grassroots racing, National geographic, Smithsonian, Indiana Architect, and AARP newsletter. All come in plastic. the only ones not are bought frequently at the Barnes and NOble.....thoroubread and classic, classic and sports car, street rodder and classic trucks.

I hate throwing magazines away. I'm swimming in them here after buying them for over 50 years....wonder how much I have spent on them? hmmm maybe about $20,000? Hah!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I hate throwing magazines away. I'm swimming in them here after buying them for over 50 years....wonder how much I have spent on them? hmmm maybe about $20,000? Hah!
    Tom, is there a Half-Price Books store in Lafayette? If so, they buy old magazines. They don't pay much, but today I dropped off about a dozen of mine and got $2.25. (Woo-hoo; more than the half-price milk shakes at Steak & Shake during the 2PM-5PM Happy Hours.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Our copy arrived today, Jan.10.2018. I like it, especially all the additional colour. Nice job, Ann!

The problem Ann mentions, of the existing supply of landscape-format cover photos no longer being usable, is real.

There's no doubt, a car shows best in landscape format. I take most of the cover photos for our antique auto club's magazine, which also is in portrait format. Our solution is to have a single 11"x17" landscape photo which goes across both front and back covers. This has some specific technical requirements but produces nice-looking covers featuring members' vehicles.
    Bill Jarvis

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    TW, Road and Track, Sports car market, Octane, sportscar, grassroots racing, National geographic, Smithsonian, Indiana Architect, and AARP newsletter. All come in plastic. the only ones not are bought frequently at the Barnes and NOble.....thoroubread and classic, classic and sports car, street rodder and classic trucks.

I'm with ya, but you still HAVE them, and they are still great reference material. I keep my old magazines as well.

If it was cigarettes, that same amount would have gone up in smoke, with nothing to show for it!!

Craig

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    If it was cigarettes, that same amount would have gone up in smoke, with nothing to show for it!!

Craig
    A generous coating of Tar, for your lungs, perhaps?

Mark

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).