First vintage truck... a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    It's Christmas morning , about 6:30 here in lower Alabama , so MERRY CHRISTMAS every one . In regards to your overdrive tranny and proper operation , get with some one locally with overdrive in their vehicle ( it really doesn't matter what brand vehicle ) and let them instruct you on how to operate it . Maybe let them take you for a drive to show you how to use it . It may save you a good deal of time and possible damage to your O.D. unit . Please make sure your brakes are in good shape as the darn thing " FREE WHEELS " in overdrive and engine braking may not be available in some situations .
    I have several vehicles with O.D. and prefer O.D. in all my " STUFF "
    I have a 47 M16 which doesn't have O.D. but wish but wish it did . I also have a 52 Champion with overdrive and enjoy driving it . Also several Kaiser Frazer products .

I don't post much here , but read the forum everyday for years now and enjoy reading the post like this one .

Comment

What Michael said in Post #31; have someone "demo" a working overdrive unit in any car or truck of the era to more easily understand how it works.

Important is this: Until you fully understand what you're doing, do NOT push or pull the overdrive knob in or out while the truck is in motion.

It can be safely done either way under the right circumstances but can cause a lot of damage under the wrong circumstances.

And Merry Christmas to all this Christmas morning. (The Nashville TN parade is on TV and quite the event if you have no children or grandchildren in the house opening presents.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To summarize: The original question was about paint. Fix any paint problems LAST. Make sure the truck runs and stops before worrying about paint. While doing the important stuff, the small stuff like the lack of a horn can be addressed as time and parts permit.

Slight correction to TWChamp's post #24: the original single horn in trucks "floated" electrically. The horn button completed the ground circuit to the horn. The hot side of the horn was hot all the time. There was no relay. The optional dual horn kit included a relay and was wired the way TWChamp stated.

The 2R5 models differ very little mechanically from the 3R5 models or the E5 models that succeeded them. They are rugged and simple and easy to work on. The mechanical parts are all available. The principal differences among Studebaker truck models are discussed in the Stude truck history referenced above.

The 2R truck owners manual includes a very good discussion of overdrive operation. Reprinted copies are available from SI.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Agreed. After getting an idea of the overall mechanical condition of any car, I rebuild the brakes. Not going is disappointing, not stopping is deadly. Next comes suspension and steering, then engine/trans/diff. Otherwise It's too tempting to drive an unsafe vehicle.

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
          Before doing anything, completely rebuild the brakes. A brake failure will ruin your whole day as well as the truck's. If you are paying to have everything done, slow down and plan what you really want. At $100 per hour labor the price escalates fast. Most of the respondents to your original question are assuming you have the skill and tools to do all this yourself. If that is not the case, be practical and plan your efforts so this does not turn into a garage/yard ornament. The best way to add overdrive is to find a complete setup from a parts truck. The South Bend may swap meet or various online part sites are a good place to start looking.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

"I have a 47 M16 which doesn't have O.D. but wish but wish it did ."

I have a 1946 M16 in excellent original condition. My thought is that none of the big trucks had overdrive available. Is it even possible to install an overdrive on one?

Comment

Most heavy trucks from that era had an optional two speed rear axle, but I do not know whether Studebaker offered one. My M15A is four speed manual, with no two speed axle. Larger trucks yet, had a three or four speed Browning auxiliary transmission behind the main box.
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                Most heavy trucks from that era had an optional two speed rear axle, but I do not know whether Studebaker offered one. My M15A is four speed manual, with no two speed axle. Larger trucks yet, had a three or four speed Browning auxiliary transmission behind the main box.
                Yes, Studebaker did offer this option. They were common on their military trucks during WWII. Many of the heavy trucks for civilian use also came with the two speed rear axle.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Paint

Eric DeRosa and friends -

Did the 2R-5 originally come with a rear view mirror mounted in the middle, inside of the windshield? I see one in some 2R-5 photos but not in others. If so, how did it mount?

Does anyone out there have a mirror like this for sale? My first genuine addition to “my girl.”

PS, I very much appreciate all the wise and wonderful advice everyone is giving and I really do look forward to reading more. I hope to meet all you guys sometime..

Merry Christmas,
                  Mark and his blue ‘51 truck

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                    Yes, Studebaker did offer this option. They were common on their military trucks during WWII. Many of the heavy trucks for civilian use also came with the two speed rear axle.
                    Yes, many 1.5 and 2-ton Stude trucks came equipped with 2-speed rear axles, but the ratios were low and very low -- they were designed to improve low speed lugging, not high speed operation. As tsenecal said, the only option is the addition of a Browning or other make auxiliary transmission. Relatively expensive.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by mkibler View Post
                      Eric DeRosa and friends -

Did the 2R-5 originally come with a rear view mirror mounted in the middle, inside of the windshield? I see one in some 2R-5 photos but not in others. If so, how did it mount?

Does anyone out there have a mirror like this for sale? My first genuine addition to “my girl.”

PS, I very much appreciate all the wise and wonderful advice everyone is giving and I really do look forward to reading more. I hope to meet all you guys sometime..

Merry Christmas,
                      Mark and his blue ‘51 truck
                      The 2R trucks came with a driver's side outside mirror. The right side outside mirror and inside mirror were optional and relatively rare. The inside mirror itself is the same one as used on late 1940s Stude cars and is fairly easy to find. What is hard to find is the bracket that screws to the inside windshield moulding of the trucks. The individual parts are described in the truck parts book. Complete 2R truck mirror assemblies come up on eBay occasionally. Sometimes the availability of rare parts are posted on the Stude Truck Talk forum:
                      Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online

Edit/add: Both outside rear view mirror assemblies have been reproduced by SI.
                      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 12-26-2017, 02:24 PM.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

All good input. My 53' 2R is currently in a great place except some spaghetti wiring up front and a presently replaced bad rim. My advise from the start: unless the wiring has been redone, look at it. Cloth covered old wires that may even be grounding out along their routes causing all kinds of questionable electrical questions... generator, regulator, lights, etc..... 2) Radial tires, although an easy to obtain panacea for older vehicles, bring with them some harsh realities: the steering components, suspension and wheel rims were not designed for radial geometrics. Ask anyone about worn steering gears, cracked lug holes, and the like on their old trucks. If the truck were in NH, I'd offer to buy the bias ply tires off you if in good shape. Heck, its likely (as was the case) that you've got plenty of stacked leaf springs out front and back so be careful about feminizing (admitted non-PC commentary) your truck without a neverending chase....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                          All good input. My 53' 2R is currently in a great place except some spaghetti wiring up front and a presently replaced bad rim. My advise from the start: unless the wiring has been redone, look at it. Cloth covered old wires that may even be grounding out along their routes causing all kinds of questionable electrical questions... generator, regulator, lights, etc..... 2) Radial tires, although an easy to obtain panacea for older vehicles, bring with them some harsh realities: the steering components, suspension and wheel rims were not designed for radial geometrics. Ask anyone about worn steering gears, cracked lug holes, and the like on their old trucks. If the truck were in NH, I'd offer to buy the bias ply tires off you if in good shape. Heck, its likely (as was the case) that you've got plenty of stacked leaf springs out front and back so be careful about feminizing (admitted non-PC commentary) your truck without a neverending chase....

JackB and friends,

So you recommend against getting radials and keeping the bias ply 6.50 x 16 LT's on my truck?

Comment

On the radials..... if I knew I was spending most of my time on fairly straight roads, under 60 mph, and only parking on soft grass vs. aggregate or cement, and removing some of my leaves....I'd likely look for modified (cut for fit to Stude) Chevy rims with the wider radials and away I would go. If in mixed driving, on hard surfaces, I prefer bias plys. Its a 50's truck. Made to work and set up so. If you want the luxury of a fun all around driver..... send the chassis to China and with few modifications drop it on a Dodge Durango chassis w/ a bowtie 350, and matching tranny & R/A......

Comment

JackB and friends,

So you recommend against getting radials and keeping the bias ply 6.50 x 16 LT's on my truck?
                              As several have said, it depends on what kind of driving you are going to do. If you still have the OEM wheels, they were not designed for radial tires, and depending how you drive could eventually fail. Bias-ply tires are still available, but cost more these days.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Eric,

Merry Christmas. Always a great day to talk about old trucks.

Thanks for photos of your beautiful truck. It's the same truck and the same color as mine and it's in the condition where I want mine to be. Does it have a (original) rear bumper? I'd love to see more photos and I sure would like to get together sometime. What suggestions can you offer me as I begin to work on her? What should I know about the 2R5 model?

Mark
                                Mark , if you would like to more pictures of my truck, just let me know what you are looking for, and I will see if I have it.

Regarding a few of your other questions:

-If you are looking for background on your truck, look for the June, 1985 issue of Turning Wheels. It contains a nice article on the 2R series trucks by Fred Fox. Another write-up to look for would be the June, 2002 edition of Collectible Automobile, Magazine, which as a informative article by Richard Quinn. My truck is one of the trucks appearing in the article.

-Rear bumpers were available for thse trucks, but rare. I have one stashed up on my attic - installing it remains on my to-do list.

-As Skip stated, inside rearview mirrors were also available - I found one for my truck used. Studebaker had a number of accessories for these trucks, many of which appear in the above mentioned Turning Wheels article by Fred Fox. You might also want to purchase a copy of the truck accessories, brochure.

These are great trucks, but you have to understand their limitations. Remember, your truck only has around 75 horsepower, a brake system designed in the 1940s, a six-volt electrical system, etc. With a 4:88 rear gear and it's light weight, it feels rather lively around town, and with overdrive, will cruise comfortably at 50-55. I have driven my truck at a higher rate of speed, but at around 60, the truck starts to let you know it is not happy about it!
                                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Working...
                                X