First vintage truck... a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys,

So 'overdrive' is a road-speed gear, right? Lowers the engine RPM and allows you to drive faster on the road?

Comment

Originally posted by mkibler View Post
      Guys,

So 'overdrive' is a road-speed gear, right? Lowers the engine RPM and allows you to drive faster on the road?
      Mark, yes. That is basically correct. It lowers your RPMs about 30 percent. Even with 427 gears in the read end of my truck I can tool down the highway at 65 MPH with no problem.
      Also a word on the tires you are buying. With 235s you may need to use tubes as they may be a bit wide for your rims. I know that finding narrower tires for 16" rims is difficult but I think you may be able to find 215s that will work without tubes.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Commander Eddie,

So do you suggest 215 x 85 x 16 tires as being the closest in size to 6.50 x 16 LT's? Are they closer than 235 x 85's?

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

Skip Lackie,

There seems to be nothing on the engine to put the filter cartridge in. The engine/case looks like the one in the attached photo (not my engine.)

I would be interested in trying (or buying?) the horn you might have. Let me look and see what's there and what isn't for a horn mechanism. I assume the horn button is in the middle of the steering wheel?
          Not Skip - Studebakers, and many other vehicles of that era, had an oil filter as an option. The Production Order, as well as looking at the engine, will tell you if it came with or has one. An original type can be added to your engine. If your pickup has gone this far without one, I would say to just leave it alone and change your oil frequently.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Commander Eddie,

So do you suggest 215 x 85 x 16 tires as being the closest in size to 6.50 x 16 LT's? Are they closer than 235 x 85's?

Thanks,

Mark
            Yes. If you buy tires from Lucas, Coker, and the like you can find the exact size, but they are more expensive. If you buy from a modern supplier the 215 x 85 x 16, or even 215 x 75 x 16 will get you close enough that tubes are not needed. I have 16" wheels on my truck and those were the closest tire sizes I could find.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Very Nice looking Truck!
              From this I can see that you have a 2R5 NOT a 2R6.

This is info you will need because, there will be a BIG difference when ordering Engine and Trans Parts from the 2R5, Small 169 Champion Six to the 2R6, 245 Commander Six!
              Not to mention the different needs for proper Gearing for Today's Highways and Interstates.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Skip Lackie,

There seems to be nothing on the engine to put the filter cartridge in. The engine/case looks like the one in the attached photo (not my engine.)

I would be interested in trying (or buying?) the horn you might have. Let me look and see what's there and what isn't for a horn mechanism. I assume the horn button is in the middle of the steering wheel?
                The single horn was mounted on the front driver's (left) side of the radiator mount, just below the holes/grommets where the headlamp wiring goes through. The horn mount had two holes two inches apart. The optional second horn would have been mounted in the same position on the right side. The optional oil filter would have been mounted on the driver's side of the block, in front of the distributor. It would have been bolted to the head with two bolts. A used unit would not be hard to find, but I agree with Gary -- if the truck never had one, you'd be better off just changing the oil every 1000-2000 miles.

If your wheels are the originals, they were not designed for tubeless tires, and tubes may be required. Also, remember that your OEM 6.50 x 16 tires equate roughly to 165-85x16, a size that is not common. I would be careful about over-stressing your wheels with oversize radial tires. Dunno what your budget is, but the original bias-ply tires are still available from companies like Universal and Coker. If you're gonna do most of your driving at moderate speeds around town, bias-ply tires may be a better choice and would look more "correct".
                Last edited by Skip Lackie; 12-26-2017, 01:50 PM.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

This is really helpful information about the correct tire sizes and the horn placement. Thanks guys. I'm considering radials only for a smoother ride.

So the horn button is beneath the center of the steering wheel then...? As I understand it;s wired to the horn relay and then to the horn itself, with a power feed and a ground along the way.
                  OK, good news... I think~! There's a black knob on the dash with the white letters 'OD' on it. Hmmmm. What could this be? Over Draft protection for my checking account? On Demand wifi system (no, they didn't have that back in '51.) Guys, I think I have overdrive already installed~! As I understand, all I have to do to engage overdrive is get into third gear and then pull the OD knob. Is that correct? I'm sorta scared to try it for fear that when I do, nuts and bolts will come shooting out of the gear box and my truck will come to a grinding and expensive halt. But I'm sure excited that it's there and I'm to try it. Can you offer suggestions before I do so that I don't cause any mechanical damage? Also, how do I disengage overdrive? Just push the OD knob back in?

Comment

The OD is the overdrive handle, and it must be pushed in for the car to be able to go into overdrive after you reach about 33 MPH. When up to 33 or faster, with the knob pushed in, just let off the gas and the overdrive will engage. Never try to pull the OD handle out while moving, unless the tranny is out of overdrive and the engine is pulling the car. In other words, if you are doing less than 33, so the overdrive isn't engaged, just slightly push on the gas so the engine is pulling, then pull the handle out. If you are driving in overdrive and want to pull the handle out, to lock it out of overdrive, then floor the throttle, which will kick the tranny out of overdrive, and as soon as the engine speeds up and is still pulling the car, then you can pull the handle out.

The horn button will send the ground to the horn relay, which makes the relay contact close and send voltage to the horn. So, on the relay, one terminal goes to the horn button for grounding, one terminal is full time voltage, and the third terminal sends voltage to the horn when the contacts close.

Comment

I have to agree with what has been said. Unless that truck has some body issues that don't show in the pictures, it really doesn't need paint. I see what appears to be some rust in the door so there may be other problems like in the cab corners and steps, but they can wait until the truck is running and driving well. A slightly used original is always popular with people.
                      Do you have any more pictures? We love pictures.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Before doing anything, completely rebuild the brakes. A brake failure will ruin your whole day as well as the truck's. If you are paying to have everything done, slow down and plan what you really want. At $100 per hour labor the price escalates fast. Most of the respondents to your original question are assuming you have the skill and tools to do all this yourself. If that is not the case, be practical and plan your efforts so this does not turn into a garage/yard ornament. The best way to add overdrive is to find a complete setup from a parts truck. The South Bend may swap meet or various online part sites are a good place to start looking.
                        james r pepper

Comment

Or you could just skip all the bother and sell it to me for what you paid, load it on a transport headed to Elko, NV. and I will deal with the head ache. Just kidding. It sounds like you will enjoy working on it, as well as driving it. Just take it slow, and do your research as you go along, so you know what you're getting into. I learned a few things from this forum that I should have known BEFORE I tackled the job. Enjoy your truck!
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Nothing like talking about old Studebaker trucks here on Christmas eve!

Lots of good advice here. I have owned my 2R-5 for over two decades. Great truck and easy to work on. It looks like your truck might be midnight blue, same color as mine. I am also including a photo of my truck's engine where you can see where the original oil filter mounts.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	photos downloaded 6 18 15 048.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1717639Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1717640

As others have stated overdrive is a great thing to add to your truck if you don't already have it. Your truck most likely has a 4:88 rear axle, which will limit your enjoyment of the truck. I am fortunate, as my truck came factory equipped with overdrive, as well as the oil filter and Climatizer.
                            If you have any questions, ask them here, or feel free to PM me directly if you wish.
                            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Paint

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                              Nothing like talking about old Studebaker trucks here on Christmas eve!

Lots of good advice here. I have owned my 2R-5 for over two decades. Great truck and easy to work on. It looks like your truck might be midnight blue, same color as mine. I am also including a photo of my truck's engine where you can see where the original oil filter mounts.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]69260[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69261[/ATTACH]

As others have stated overdrive is a great thing to add to your truck if you don't already have it. Your truck most likely has a 4:88 rear axle, which will limit your enjoyment of the truck. I am fortunate, as my truck came factory equipped with overdrive, as well as the oil filter and Climatizer.
                              If you have any questions, ask them here, or feel free to PM me directly if you wish.

Eric,

Merry Christmas. Always a great day to talk about old trucks.

Thanks for photos of your beautiful truck. It's the same truck and the same color as mine and it's in the condition where I want mine to be. Does it have a (original) rear bumper? I'd love to see more photos and I sure would like to get together sometime. What suggestions can you offer me as I begin to work on her? What should I know about the 2R5 model?

Mark

Comment

Welcome aboard, Mark That's a fine-looking truck you have.

I cannot improve on all the excellent advice you're received here, and it sounds like you plan to heed it. Good!

Join The Studebaker Drivers Club right away. You'll enjoy Turning Wheels as there is 'nearly always something "truck" in every issue...and "for sure" there are parts vendors with truck parts in every issue. BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X