No announcement yet.

New-to-Me 1958 3E7 Transtar 1/2 ton long bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Based on a PM I received earlier today, the wheels and tires MAY be sold (if they do not sell, I will post an update). Brake parts & hubs are still available, if anyone wants them.

Comment

Just dropped the spare from under the truck (see photos). The wheel was clearly repainted sometime in the last 5 years or so by the previous owner, but as opposed to the larger and much newer old-style (but Made in Mexico) bias ply/tube-type tires that were on the truck before I installed the Vintique wheels and Michelin radials yesterday, the tire on the spare is a much older, made in Indianapolis 5:00 x 16 tire. I cannot believe it is the 1958 original (the rubber seems to be in too good shape/not enough sidewall cracking), but it definitely appears to be a period ('60s, maybe?) tire.

Anyone w/more expertise than me able to hazard a guess? The markings shown in the photos are the same on both sides of the tire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1718060Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1718061Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1718062Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1718063Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1718064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1718065Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1718066Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1718067

Comment

Just go ahead and put a class 3 hitch on the truck.

It's better to have one and never use it. Then to need one and not have it.

Those Ranger bumper brackets are easy to bend downwards. I've done it.

Comment

Originally posted by capwombat View Post
          Just dropped the spare from under the truck (see photos). The wheel was clearly repainted sometime in the last 5 years or so by the previous owner, but as opposed to the larger and much newer old-style (but Made in Mexico) bias ply/tube-type tires that were on the truck before I installed the Vintique wheels and Michelin radials yesterday, the tire on the spare is a much older, made in Indianapolis 5:00 x 16 tire. I cannot believe it is the 1958 original (the rubber seems to be in too good shape/not enough sidewall cracking), but it definitely appears to be a period ('60s, maybe?) tire.

Anyone w/more expertise than me able to hazard a guess? The markings shown in the photos are the same on both sides of the tire.
          That is probably one of the original wheels for your truck, but the OEM tires would have been from a company like Goodyear or Firestone. That is almost certainly a replacement tire, likely from the 60s or 70s. If it has spent most of its life as a spare, there might not be any sidewall cracking. I have two 1960s-era tires that spent their lives as a spare hanging under a C-cab truck and they look fine. And I recently discarded two tires that GM installed on my 37 LaSalle 81 years ago. They were a dried out, but still held air. As stated, would be interested in any of the OEM wheels for your truck. What brake parts do you have surplus?
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip, thanks much for the info and insights re the spare tire. That tire has spent its life as a spare (it doesn't appear to have ever been on the road), so I'd guess the original owner must have installed it in the '60s or '70s. [I am the 3rd owner of the truck, apparently]. The brake parts I still have available are the two original front hubs and drums, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, et al, along with the single-chamber original master cylinder (I replaced it with a dual-reservoir one from Turner Brake). So everything that came off the truck after installing the Turner front disk brake system is available, if anyone wants those items. NOTE however that one wheel stud is broken off on one of the drums/hubs, so will need to be repaired.

Regarding the wheels and tires themselves, I've already received (via PM) and have accepted an offer from another Forum member. If I've not received payment by mid-Feb, I'll offer the wheels and tires here again.

Comment

Thanks -- lemme know if they become available. FYI, the drums/hubs and the brake shoe cores are worth saving. The wheel cylinders might be if easily rebuildable. The master cylinders are readily available, and the cores are not worth saving.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Got the Vintage Air system installed last week. It works beautifully. Photos shown below. I now just need a sheet metal cover to fcover the wires in front of the instrument cluster, and also fill the space where the old Climatizer used to be. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1719731Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1719732Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1719733Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1719734Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1719735Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1719736

Comment

Looks like a good set up - it might be so cold in there you might have to keep a window halfway down...

Comment

Working...
                  X