Craigslist, help me understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist, help me understand

I see a significant number of Craigslist ads where the offering party states, "Don't ask me if the item is still available ... ." I don't get it. People (unfortunately) leave ads up all the time long after the item is gone. And, in a world where 'he who gets there first wins' it may preclude you can arrive before someone already on the way coming from a shorter distance. So, who wants to venture out thinking an item is still available only to find it was sold shortly before you arrived! I have also deleted Craigslist ads right after the sale and they don't immediately disappear. Therefore, I see good reason to ask about availability up front.
    So, what is the difference between:

1. "Hi, I'm calling regarding the engine for sale?" Simple answer: "It has been sold already." Or: "What would you like to know"

2. "Hi, I'm calling to see if the engine is still for sale?" Simple answer: "No." Or: "Yes, what would you like to know?"

The difference in the two short conversations is so minimal that it begs the question why do people get so adamant about not asking if the item is still available??? It actually seems a courtesy on the callers part to establish availability first before diving in and asking questions to the offering party. I don't get why people get annoyed. Am I missing something?
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

The way I see it, if I sell what I advertise on Craigslist it's incumbent on me to delete the ad. It's called personal responsibility. If a seller is too lazy to delete his ad he shouldn't gripe when someone asks about its availability.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

With CL, you are the one responsible for pulling down the ad once a sale is made. Unfortunately, CL is prone to draw flakey people. Most listers use better phrasing to say that , "If you see this ad, the item is still available." basically letting you know you are not wasting your time calling the seller. Blame it on lack of a social filter that seems increasingly common.

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
        With CL, you are the one responsible for pulling down the ad once a sale is made. Unfortunately, CL is prone to draw flakey people. Most listers use better phrasing to say that , "If you see this ad, the item is still available." basically letting you know you are not wasting your time calling the seller. Blame it on lack of a social filter that seems increasingly common.
        My brother bought a Studebaker watch a few months ago and the ad stayed up for at least 2 more months. I always take my ads down quick because I don't want to be bothered after the item is gone.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
          I have pondered this and concluded you have likely hit the nail on the head. I guess the phrase that 'it isn't necessarily what you say, but how you say it' that applies here. Saying "Don't ask me if the item is still available" comes across as gruff and rude. Where as saying "If you see this ad, the item is still available" is far more considerate and polite. And I figure it is why we tend to like some people, and not others even when the net result of their statements are similar.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            My brother bought a Studebaker watch a few months ago and the ad stayed up for at least 2 more months. I always take my ads down quick because I don't want to be bothered after the item is gone.
            This makes sense, but I can see why some wait for a little while. Sometimes people will say they want something and/or the check is in the mail. I can see waiting until the seller has cash in hand before pulling the ad. You can just save people's telephone numbers or e-mail addresses in the interim.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              This makes sense, but I can see why some wait for a little while. Sometimes people will say they want something and/or the check is in the mail. I can see waiting until the seller has cash in hand before pulling the ad. You can just save people's telephone numbers or e-mail addresses in the interim.
              The watch sale was here in Searcy. It was done face to face and Joe paid cash so no wait. ???
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Today I saw a "Please Don't Ask "HOW MUCH?" Taking Offers...' proclamation on Craiggslist https://ventura.craigslist.org/tls/d/greenlee-knockout-tools/6410290673.html . Well, good luck with that. People come to Craigslist looking for stated DEALS. That's the type of people they are. I mean how many phone calls does this guy want to field??? Either he will constantly be pestered with "offers" he won't accept, or people just won't bother because they know it is a fruitless venture to getting a good deal on the item.

Comment

[QUOTE. "Don't ask me if the item is still available ... ." [/QUOTE]

Hi

What that is all about is the response to the ad comes in an email with only that question, "Is it still for sale?" The response email is being generated by a spam bot computer program 'phishing' for your email address. If you respond to the email, the bot program knows there is a live human and will fill your email box with all manner of more 'phishing' email trying to get more personal information or send your computer spyware viruses that will download if you open their emails. The intent is to steal you personal information so they can get access to personal accounts.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                    [QUOTE. "Don't ask me if the item is still available ... ."
                    Hi

What that is all about is the response to the ad comes in an email with only that question, "Is it still for sale?" The response email is being generated by a spam bot computer program 'phishing' for your email address. If you respond to the email, the bot program knows there is a live human and will fill your email box with all manner of more 'phishing' email trying to get more personal information or send your computer spyware viruses that will download if you open their emails. The intent is to steal you personal information so they can get access to personal accounts.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Except with Craigs List, their internal system is used for communication. You never show your email addy in the listing or in response to an inquiry.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Serious buyers only....no tire kickers.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                        Today I saw a "Please Don't Ask "HOW MUCH?" Taking Offers...' proclamation on Craiggslist https://ventura.craigslist.org/tls/d/greenlee-knockout-tools/6410290673.html . Well, good luck with that. People come to Craigslist looking for stated DEALS. That's the type of people they are. I mean how many phone calls does this guy want to field??? Either he will constantly be pestered with "offers" he won't accept, or people just won't bother because they know it is a fruitless venture to getting a good deal on the item.
                        I normally do not respond to these ads. Recently, I did respond to a C/L ad with the "make an offer" line. It was for an Avanti. I called and said that I would be interested in the car at $X (an amount above what other similar cars have recently sold for). The guy said "have a nice day" sarcastically and hung up.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yep, people can be funny. If they want $150K but state no price then get pissed when someone offers $30K well, that's just toughie luckie.

Back when I was into early fifties Caddies I once called on an Allard which was in parts. I thought maybe I could afford it so called. Talked to him for about a half hour and finally he said he wanted 115K for it....way too much for me.

So now if I call on one with no price I get the price out of the way quickly.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I've had numerous item for sale on craigslist that I receive text responses for. That "Do you still have it" or "is this still available" is the phishing question from scammers, and if responded to, is immediately followed by a series of obviously bogus cookie cutter texts wanting my name, address and where to send their courier to pick up the "item". Never making reference to what is actually for sale. If I get those texts or emails iI automatically delete them. The way I see it if a potential buyer isn't interested more than to ask if I still have it, then they probably won't buy it anyway.
                            sigpic
                            '89 Ford Festiva
                            '90 Ford F250 4x4
                            '18 Kia Soul
                            '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                            '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                              [QUOTE. "Don't ask me if the item is still available ... ."
                              Hi

Steve[/QUOTE]
                              This is what happens here in Canada on C/L and kijiji. Within 5 minutes of posting ad, these replies start.

Comment

Working...
                              X