Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah the dreamers of the world..................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
    One other thing: This car has a 160-MPH speedometer, used only on R2 & R3 Avantis. An R1 car should have a 140-MPH speedometer. I agree with all the observations others have made. To me the car looks like it has been modified to the owner's taste.
    -Dwight
    Unless that 160 was a dealer/factory replacement for one which was broken ??? Studebaker did lots of different things for customers.
    sals54

Comment

Many things don't look right. For example, the tach shows 800 rpm, the oil pressure 20, the vacuum 0, and the temp gauge barely registers. It does look like the key is in the run position. I suppose the gauges may not be working correctly. In any case it does seem like a high price for what I would consider a #3 driver at best.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post
        One other thing: This car has a 160-MPH speedometer, used only on R2 & R3 Avantis. An R1 car should have a 140-MPH speedometer. I agree with all the observations others have made. To me the car looks like it has been modified to the owner's taste.
        -Dwight
        I agree with you Dwight. I think the car has been modified to the owner's taste. Not knocking it as it was done well and looks as an effort to look like the later transition cars with the all black interior. The door panel pleats look a little funny, the black radio knobs are 66 Stude, the seats appear to be leather but it looks as if the pockets in the lower seat cushions next to the bolsters are no longer there but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be embarrassed to own it but wouldn't be broadcasting it's totally correct restoration.

Comment

So Nils, would you pay 48K for this ride?? The term well done is a relative term, and as such is open to "interpretation". For 48K the car demands to be as it left the factory in as close to new condition as physically possible.
          Originally posted by nels View Post
          I agree with you Dwight. I think the car has been modified to the owner's taste. Not knocking it as it was done well and looks as an effort to look like the later transition cars with the all black interior. The door panel pleats look a little funny, the black radio knobs are 66 Stude, the seats appear to be leather but it looks as if the pockets in the lower seat cushions next to the bolsters are no longer there but I could be wrong. I wouldn't be embarrassed to own it but wouldn't be broadcasting it's totally correct restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            So Nils, would you pay 48K for this ride?? The term well done is a relative term, and as such is open to "interpretation". For 48K the car demands to be as it left the factory in as close to new condition as physically possible.
            No, I wouldn't.

Comment

Look close........missing the original a/c carpeted side panels, the trans x-member is bent, incorrect alternator, whats with the wiper switch?

- - - Updated - - -

Then they failed:-(
              Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              Maybe it wasn't a matter of NEEDING, but more of WANTING to bring it to a higher standard ?

Comment

That car belongs to Bruce and Pat Slifer.
                Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                The familiar Volume 10,#3 Automobile Quarterly shows a white Avanti with fender-mounted mirrors, but the less expensive Stratoline style.

Craig

Comment

Is this car missing the glass headlight covers?

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    One I partly restored, Frame on, bought 59K last year. It was an automatic with AC car. Don't poo-poo rising values because it prices you out of the hobby.
                    I wonder if the seller of this 1957 Golden Hawk was also a 'dreamer'. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...15-Philly-Sale

He did well, despite it not being 100% 'correct' like this Avanti being offered at half the price.

Craig

Comment

Looks to be
                      Originally posted by harry View Post
                      Is this car missing the glass headlight covers?

Comment

Working...
                      X