Hawk Horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Hawk Horns

I need of set of GOOD working, Stock, Hi/Low horns which will bolt up to a 56 Hawk, in the original position. These horns do not have a mounting bracket...the mounting bolts attach to the horn housing itself...

Stephen Allen has them. I used replacement $20 horns on mine but 'spose they won't do for a show car

Comment

Horns usually don't change much from year to year, so I wonder what all years would be the same?

Comment

I can find plenty of horn sets, but the all have a mounting "bracket". Can't seem to find a set from the Hawks, which have two tapped holes in the housing itself...

Comment

Try searching Ebay for Sparton horns and aftermarket brand names (i.e. NAPA Balkamp). I had been searching earlier this year for a hi-tone horn for my GT hawk and was getting nowhere until I noticed a NOS NAPA Balkamp horn that was made by Sparton and had the same lugs as my old horn. The model number was slightly different from my original horn. I took a chance at $50 on this horn and you can't tell the difference in appearance or sound. I doubt that any of the aftermarket parts suppliers made their own replacement horns so many of their horns were probably made by Sparton.
          Randy Ridenour
          Frostburg,MD
          1964 GT Hawk
          sigpic

Comment

Randy, do you have the NAPA/Balkamp Part Number, or was it an obsolete NORS eBay find, that will never happen again?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It was 4-3686 and was NOS. There's one on Ebay now for $35 including shipping. The pictures included in the listing show a partial bracket on it that I don't remember being on mine and I believe the number stamped on it might be different than the one I bought. At $35, I would take a chance on it. The bracket can easily be removed and the lugs are present for the GT Hawk bracket.
              Randy Ridenour
              Frostburg,MD
              1964 GT Hawk
              sigpic

Comment

Here's one for $20. It says Sparton on the body.

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

That's the listing that I spotted tonight. With shipping, it would be $34.50.
                  Randy Ridenour
                  Frostburg,MD
                  1964 GT Hawk
                  sigpic

Comment

The ones with brackets on them are likely Lark type.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I fashioned a bracket and connector adapter to allow mounting a Lark hi tone to the GT mount without changing anything on the car. Unfortunately, these horns are riveted together, otherwise you could easily reclock them to fit. The Lark horns are mounted higher in a more protected area, so they survive much better, they don't get the brunt of rain, slush and salt like the Hawk horns do. I have searched for years for a Hawk hi tone horn, I have found unicorns but have never seen a working Hawk horn....

Comment

I installed Ford F150 horns on mine. I prefer a sound that snaps texters or cell phone users out of their stupor.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I installed Ford F150 horns on mine. I prefer a sound that snaps texters or cell phone users out of their stupor.
                          When I used to drive roads like the LIE on a regular basis, I added six volt horns in 12 volt cars (in addition to the stock horns). People would move out of the way and then look for the giant truck coming (no truck, just my car).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My 1950 Champion horns are very loud, and grab people's attention.

My neighbors newer Toyota SUV sounds like a bicycle horn with a weak battery.

Comment

The Lark horn brackets can be cut or ground off, you can also drill the rivets and replace with mounting screws. Make sure they are positioned correctly and you should have a HI and LO.

Comment

Working...
                              X