Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(opinion) Can Millenials Save The (Studebaker) Hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
    I think bitcoin is much the same as the instruments listed by creegster (with the possible exception of bank deposits). None of them are true US dollars. In all cases (including bitcoin) you take it on faith that the instruments can be converted to US dollars. Same with stocks and bonds, and wire transfers for example. There are scammers on all monetary instruments (including printed money), but (so far at least) you can convert legitimate bitcoin purchases to US dollars and visa versa in the same way you can convert the paper mortgage on your house or a stock certificate or the retailer can convert a credit card purchase. None of the above are "backed" by the US government with the exception of bank deposits in certain institutions to a set maximum amount.
    Agreed: also, when loans and banks were first invented, well before the US EXISTED, those were probably considered crazy by some and some people swore they would never trust them. Crypto is just a new monetary vehicle that some dont trust. And that is fine that some dont trust it; its always good to have skeptics.

Comment

A lot of these posts are funny to read (as a millenial, born 1994) the future will be the same as it has been. Older cars will always be easier to work on without all the sensors, and cheaper to get mechanical components for. Plus, nothing currently has a impressive body the way vintage cars have. I grew up with my dad's coral and gray 1955 chevy. I was hooked on old cars since. A custom red bullet nose got me hooked on studebakers, and a 1960 Hawk in the garage slowly being restored helps fuel the passion even more.

Comment

Originally posted by moshnmore View Post
        A lot of these posts are funny to read (as a millenial, born 1994) the future will be the same as it has been. Older cars will always be easier to work on without all the sensors, and cheaper to get mechanical components for. Plus, nothing currently has a impressive body the way vintage cars have. I grew up with my dad's coral and gray 1955 chevy. I was hooked on old cars since. A custom red bullet nose got me hooked on studebakers, and a 1960 Hawk in the garage slowly being restored helps fuel the passion even more.
        I'd have to say from my experiance you are in the rare minority. My kids grew up in my shop with me working on some 40+ year old car, bike or whatever, and I rarely drove anything newer. Neither of them, or any of their friends have ANY interest in vehicles at all. None of them even drive or have a license, even though they've been old enough for years (my oldest is about your age); they're just not interested.

I don't understand it, heck, I built my first motorcycle from a derelict at 12 and got my license at 15 1/2 and my first car (an old wreck I had to fix) at 16 like every other kid at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
          Millenials have been so inundated with gas prices and getting fuel economy that they dont want old gas hogs. They cant afford to drive them, or sit in traffic with them. Many dont have a place to store them when not driving them. They dont have the bells and whistles. Millenials, many of them at least, dont want to work on a car.... they want to get in and go and have a reliable vehicle.

Do you pay $20k for a reliable somewhat restored older car that gets 12-15mpg or $10K for a newer car that gets 30-40mpg? For a millenial living check to check, thats a no brainer financially.
          That's not these kids. These guys and girls are rollin in some high dollar rides. I'm talkin about 5year old Mercedes, with expensive rims and tires, custom paint jobs worth more than my car. Porsches, Lexus, and rare imported cars from Europe and Japan. These are very custom and fast cars. Many have aftermarket turbos and superchargers. These are hard working millenials with jobs and money and cool fast cars.
          sals54

Comment

So what line of work are these flush Millennials in? It's just frustrating because I flirted with success with Fun Rockets, and maybe InterStellar OverDrive, and it didn't pan out. Yesterday, I was wondering if I missed a calling by not getting into computers right out of high school in 1979. But I've heard that was feast and famine and trying to correctly pick out of endless shifting trends.
            1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
            1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
            1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
            1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
            1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
            1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

We as car people have always been a small portion of the population. Today we are just becoming a smaller portion. I envision no end to the current trend. To most of society we are a bit crazy, otherwise why would we put so much of our time and money into a car that we can't or won't drive every day. The world continues to move in a direction that we are not in concert. Worrying about something over which we have not control is useless.

The same fringe group of gearheads still carry on, but in that group the Tuner rules. To believe that the tuners will suddenly fall in love with our old iron is just naive. Just like many on this forum know little about, or couldn't care less about the pre war cars, so too will the next group move away from the post war cars.

Our group will continue to get smaller, and the ongoing sifting out process of lesser cars will continue, as well. All orphan car groups continue on the same course as we in the Studebaker world. We should feel fortunate that Studebaker was in production as long as it was, because it insures that it will survive longer then most orphan car groups. Celebrate what we have, we are very fortunate to be were we are and have what we do.

Comment

Yes, what Hallabutt said. Just think what we would have to settle for if Studebaker never built cars. We really are lucky. Merry Christmas everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Merry Christmas.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1717589Click image for larger version

ID:	1717589Click image for larger version

ID:	1717589

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                  So what line of work are these flush Millennials in? It's just frustrating because I flirted with success with Fun Rockets, and maybe InterSetellar OverDriv, and it didn't pan out. Yesterday, I was wondering if I missed a calling by not getting into computers right out of high school in 1979. But I've heard that was feast and famine and trying to correctly pick out of endless shifting trends.
                  What? Do you put that ("Fun Rockets, and maybe InterSetellar OverDrive") on a resume??? I've seen this posted before and it is confusing???

Millennials primarily refer to people born in a specific time period. "Millennials" refers to specific actions and attitudes that befuddle previous generations. There were likely "Millennials" (actions and attitudes) during the Baby Boomer, Gen X and Gen Y period also. There were just likely less of them and called a different name. So, you can be a Millennial (time wise) and still be as hard working and goal minded as any other generation. These are the Millennials that are making a decent living. To answer the question; They are the doctors, lawyers, financial investors etc. Or you can be a "Millennial" who was taught that everything should be given to them. But as I stated up in Post #55 it takes (the lacking action of) a parent to raise the "Millennial." So only put half the blame on them.
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Fun Rockets did go on the resumes for technical jobs. InterStellar OverDrive (without the maybe) went on the resumes for commercial art jobs. They both had a lot good time and good effort in them. 0ne was a promising model rocket company that was screwed up by a dumb partner. The other was a Johnny Bravo meets Futurama in an Atompunk universe down to the peacock pompdours, cyclops babes, and gold anodized chrome trefoils before that stuff existed dealie was screwed up by the Heroes World comics distribution crunch.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by DougHolverson; 12-20-2017, 05:28 PM.
                    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                      ... Yesterday, I was wondering if I missed a calling by not getting into computers right out of high school in 1979. But I've heard that was feast and famine and trying to correctly pick out of endless shifting trends.
                      With that explanation in the post above (#69), yes, you should have gone into computers. I'm doubtful it is now a lifetime career but at least it would have had a decent employable run. Very few jobs today are safe from downsizing or extinction. 20 years ago I sat around as my education colleagues discussed that students back then were likely to change job fields as many as six times in their lifetime. It is likely more so now. I think that is yet another reason Millennials are hesitant to enter the work force. The life cycle of many jobs is so short. It seems a difficult task to be early 20's get a good paying job, marry, buy a house, start raising kids..., and then have your job disappear. I realize that this has always existed, but it is more common place today and happening in a faster cycle.

The world of either working at one place for life or moving upwards as so many previous generations did has far fewer opportunities for people today. And except for Walmart door greeters finding a job (especially in a new filed) after 50 is extremely difficult.
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Round these parts, the Millenial issue tends to be one of either money or interest. As a general rule, if they have the interest, they don't have any money. If they have any money, they don't have an interest.

Comment

Around here we joke that 30 years from now video game shows will have replaced car shows. Long tables of geeks with white hair playing the vintage video games. That said, I don't think the car hobby dies out. After all, you can't drive a video game down the road and get head turned, a wave, or flash of the headlights.

Comment

They can come in fresh to our Studebaker realm and not have any preconceived stereotypes about a 289 Ford Engine, that they are still building them in Canada, or that 65-66's aren't real Studebakers because of GM engines, etc. etc......

Maybe they'll be more likeable than most of the people my age were?

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                              They can come in fresh to our Studebaker realm and not have any preconceived stereotypes about a 289 Ford Engine, that they are still building them in Canada, or that 65-66's aren't real Studebakers because of GM engines, etc. etc.
                              Then they better NOT read today's current crop of magazines: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...per-in-Post-62

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                                With that explanation in the post above (#69), yes, you should have gone into computers. I'm doubtful it is now a lifetime career but at least it would have had a decent employable run. Very few jobs today are safe from downsizing or extinction. 20 years ago I sat around as my education colleagues discussed that students back then were likely to change job fields as many as six times in their lifetime. It is likely more so now. I think that is yet another reason Millennials are hesitant to enter the work force. The life cycle of many jobs is so short. It seems a difficult task to be early 20's get a good paying job, marry, buy a house, start raising kids..., and then have your job disappear. I realize that this has always existed, but it is more common place today and happening in a faster cycle.

The world of either working at one place for life or moving upwards as so many previous generations did has far fewer opportunities for people today. And except for Walmart door greeters finding a job (especially in a new filed) after 50 is extremely difficult.
                                It is not all that long ago, but I found plenty of jobs after I was 50. The thing is that many older people would not take these jobs because it was less of a job and paid less than their previous employment. Some examples of jobs that I did take after primary "retirement"; substitute teacher in secondary schools, new & used car salesman, airline crew shuttle driver, limousine chauffeur. I was also offered many jobs that I did not take like working in a garage/auto shop.
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X