Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: (opinion) Can Millenials Save The (Studebaker) Hobby?

President Member
    There's even one kid in my oldest daughter's class (2012) that got to know an elderly gentleman with a 1930 Model A. When the gentleman passed, the kid ended up with it. This kid was in Band with my daughters, and his parents were in no way "car people". One parent was an artist, the other a newspaper reporter. The young guy recently graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and married his high school sweetheart. The Model A was in the wedding photos, and the dress was 20's/30's at the wedding.

The guy who owned my '55 before me made my Dad promise I wouldn't "jack it up and drop a V8 in it", before he would accept the 18 $100 bills we brought to him in 1979.

This is a random and unpredictable disease, and no one can tell where it will strike next with any certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by 556063 View Post
    There's even one kid in my oldest daughter's class (2012) that got to know an elderly gentleman with a 1930 Model A. When the gentleman passed, the kid ended up with it. This kid was in Band with my daughters, and his parents were in no way "car people". One parent was an artist, the other a newspaper reporter. The young guy recently graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and married his high school sweetheart. The Model A was in the wedding photos, and the dress was 20's/30's at the wedding.

The guy who owned my '55 before me made my Dad promise I wouldn't "jack it up and drop a V8 in it", before he would accept the 18 $100 bills we brought to him in 1979.

This is a random and unpredictable disease, and no one can tell where it will strike next with any certainty.
    A perfect example of what many here have been trying to get across. In any generation there are those that love older cars and those that don't; those that care about cars period and those that don't.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Sorry, two reasons why this is a dying group: First, big money is killing the small collector guys, and kids/ future gens. can't compete against the money spent at the big auctions, just for a hobby. Next, many of us old guys grew up in an environment where we learned how to fix stuff and make things work, so an older car that needed/needs lot's of maintenance was no big deal, to be expected and now enjoyed. Kids today don't have that knowledge, never will, so don't/won't have that desire to own something that needs lot's of work/time devoted to it. (I can't even get my grandkids interested in going for a ride in one of my collector cars, let alone driving one... My own kids are no better, just not interested.)
    There are always exceptions, of course, but overall, those few probably can't sustain the interest needed for clubs like this one to survive. I hope you guys live a long time so it is a slow death, and I don't have to see it.
    JMHO
    Corley

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corley View Post
    ... Next, many of us old guys grew up in an environment where we learned how to fix stuff and make things work, so an older car that needed/needs lot's of maintenance was no big deal, to be expected and now enjoyed. Kids today don't have that knowledge, never will, so don't/won't have that desire to own something that needs lot's of work/time devoted to it. ...
    When one looks at the complexity of today's cars it is no wonder ANY age group has interest in fixing them. The simplicity of yesterday is gone. As stated there are always a few and today I think that is the "Tuner" crowd. With all due respect to 556063 post about his daughter's parties it is one thing to be momentarily enamored with something unusual like old cars and another to venture into buying and maintaining one. There will always be some kid who likes a Studebaker because it is "different." There will always be a kid who likes mechanical things (like old Studebakers). And at some period in the future there may even be a (shot lived) resurgence of interest in older cars in general, and to young people.

But with a generation that was told to hug trees, that internal combustion is wrong, and would rather take public transportation looking into a 3" X 4" phone screen it is still not likely to make a long term difference what ever minor interest they show. Rather than lamenting the decline it would seem more appropriate to be thankful for what the hobby was. Frankly this site is rather vibrant. I'm on a Ford Pinto site where 24 hours may go by without a single post. and on "active" days there are roughly three posts often similar to those found in Stovehuggers. So, from my perspective this is still a very lively group with significant activity. Be thankful. Be hopeful, but be realistic. Anyway, Corley I stand or your side in this discussion.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

The Pinto site was much livelier 10 years ago. I think I got into the turbo-Pinto thing right before everything dried up.

BTW, is there a way to drum up youthful interest by appealing to the tuner or maker group crowd? I do have a good bit of affection for makers. I wish that there was a group like that back in the '90s when I was nowhere in life.
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wittsend View Post
    When one looks at the complexity of today's cars it is no wonder ANY age group has interest in fixing them. The simplicity of yesterday is gone. As stated there are always a few and today I think that is the "Tuner" crowd. With all due respect to 556063 post about his daughter's parties it is one thing to be momentarily enamored with something unusual like old cars and another to venture into buying and maintaining one. There will always be some kid who likes a Studebaker because it is "different." There will always be a kid who likes mechanical things (like old Studebakers). And at some period in the future there may even be a (shot lived) resurgence of interest in older cars in general, and to young people.

But with a generation that was told to hug trees, that internal combustion is wrong, and would rather take public transportation looking into a 3" X 4" phone screen it is still not likely to make a long term difference what ever minor interest they show. Rather than lamenting the decline it would seem more appropriate to be thankful for what the hobby was. Frankly this site is rather vibrant. I'm on a Ford Pinto site where 24 hours may go by without a single post. and on "active" days there are roughly three posts often similar to those found in Stovehuggers. So, from my perspective this is still a very lively group with significant activity. Be thankful. Be hopeful, but be realistic. Anyway, Corley I stand or your side in this discussion.
    What a Hoot! Today I was driving my 56 chevy PU to north San Diego with my buddy Butch .. The guy who owns the blown 41 Willys that we race at bakersfield. And low and behold there was a #*%@ green 71 Pinto in front of us! As we approached we could see the occupants in the front seat turning and looking at us.. As we passed we exchanged thumbs up to each other! Guess what.... It was a young couple , I'm guessing 25 or younger And as far as saving the Studebaker hobby , at this point does it really matter ? Studebaker , Chevy , Ford , Mopar , Or friggin Moskovitch? WE all have the same sickness ..
    Last edited by lumpy; 12-23-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    What a Hoot! Today I was driving my 56 chevy PU to north San Diego with my buddy Butch .. The guy who owns the blown 41 Willys that we race at bakersfield. And low and behold there was a #*%@ green 71 Pinto in front of us! As we approached we could see the occupants in the front seat turning and looking at us.. As we passed we exchanged thumbs up to each other! Guess what.... It was a young couple , I'm guessing 25 or younger And as far as saving the Studebaker hobby , at this point does it really matter ? Studebaker , Chevy , Ford , Mopar , Or friggin Moskovitch? WE all have the same sickness ..
    This is what it should be all about.... Thanks for this post.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

President Member
    Blog Entries
    I suppose there are many reasons. One issue I find strange, awkward and bewildering, is our museum auctioning off a Camray, lexus, Jeep, Ford, and Subaru to support the legacy of Studabaker. That says a lot to me. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Quote Originally Posted by ken-renda View Post
    I suppose there are many reasons. One issue I find strange, awkward and bewildering, is our museum auctioning off a Camray, lexus, Jeep, Ford, and Subaru to support the legacy of Studabaker. That says a lot to me. Ken, Deltaville, Va
    Were these donated to the museum by Studebaker fans, knowing they would be auctioned to help support the museum?

Golden Hawk Member
    These were NOT auctioned by the SNM. These were prize choices in this year's SNM raffle.
    The SNM has raffled off a new car every year for many years to raise funds. I have purchased one or more raffle tickets every year.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member
    By whatever means these cars were acquired/raised cash it is similar to "Cars for Causes." The proceeds to to support the museum. Sure better that using Studebaker's to raise money.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Quote Originally Posted by wittsend View Post
    By whatever means these cars were acquired/raised cash it is similar to "Cars for Causes." The proceeds to to support the museum. Sure better that using Studebaker's to raise money.
    Maybe raffling off a Studebaker would result in somebody new driving a Studebaker, putting money in the treasury and increasing the number of Studebaker owners by one.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Silver Hawk Member
    The Museum does sell off Studebakers that were either just donated or are otherwise surplus to their collection. I have looked at a couple of potential donations for them with the understanding that they would probably not be added to the museum, but would be sold off to raise funds. Museums spend a lot of effort raising money.

Speedster Member
    Today I joined a group on Facebook called "Young and proud Studebaker Owners". It made me think if this discussion string.
    This Facebook group has post after post of younger people with kick-ass Studes who are restoring and resto-modding them. Just because they dont go to the same car shows or hang out at the regional meets doesnt mean they dont exist. It looks to me like they are out there, they just dont generally overlap the same social circles as some of this group.
    So yeah, these cars are not going away as fast as you may think.

You point out one of the problems/opportunities with Facebook.
    Anybody can make a 'group' about anything.
    And that's OK......But...
    The success of any page/group/site depends on content. You have to have good content to keep people going there.
    The Facebook page you mention had 3 views yesterday, and only 30 in the last week. Sure... It's new, so it should get a break..
    I kind of smile that your comment is it is for the younger crowd. That, in itself is funny...and telling..
    Age isn't a detriment... Unless someone wants to make it one.
    I remember my first SDC newsletter writeup about attending a meet (with my mother)...
    The article author said 'And that young kid with the red Hawk with the bondo'd up front fenders was there, too).
    Bondo was all I could afford at $1.50 an hour...
    The problem with Facebook is utter dilution.
    How many people are going to join your 'Cool Yellow Studebaker Pickup Truck' page?
    Not too many, unless you put half naked girls on it Hmmmmm.....

Best of luck! I love the enthusiasm!

Quote Originally Posted by creegster View Post
    Today I joined a group on Facebook called "Young and proud Studebaker Owners". It made me think if this discussion string.
    This Facebook group has post after post of younger people with kick-ass Studes who are restoring and resto-modding them. Just because they dont go to the same car shows or hang out at the regional meets doesnt mean they dont exist. It looks to me like they are out there, they just dont generally overlap the same social circles as some of this group.
    So yeah, these cars are not going away as fast as you may think.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I'd join a young and proud Studebakers Owners page if I wasn't 57. How'd that happen?
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Proud...? In a way... Happy? YEP! Young? deep-ends on how long I'll be alive, being born a while ago as it seems to me, & the guy that nowaydays looks back at me in every mirror is for sure a relative...

Quote Originally Posted by TWChamp View Post
    OK, I give up..........so what's a "bitcoin"?
    It is a speculators dream and an imaginary so called currency that can and will change value wildly while you are filling out a contract. Right now they say the goofy item is worth about 17,000.00 dollars each. Beware!!!
    don

Buying a BitCoin is easy.
    Selling a BitCoin?
    Easier to sell a Stude at full price....

Quote Originally Posted by GTHawk View Post
    It is a speculators dream and an imaginary so called currency that can and will change value wildly while you are filling out a contract. Right now they say the goofy item is worth about 17,000.00 dollars each. Beware!!!
    Originally Posted by TWChamp

(copy)
    Bitcoin News

Bitcoin is an open-source, peer-to-peer, digital decentralized cryptocurrency. Powered by the Blockchain technology, its defining characteristic is its decentralization, i.e. the lack of central governing authority, such as a central bank or a ministry of finance. Bitcoin's issuance and circulation are ensured by regular users via a process known as "Bitcoin mining". Bitcoin can be sent anywhere, anytime, (almost) for free, and with little regard for national borders or government/bank-imposed restrictions.
    Related links:

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-10-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Buying a BitCoin is easy.
    Selling a BitCoin?
    Easier to sell a Stude at full price....

Sounds like I should start selling stock in pet rocks.
    So someone can dream up an internet currency, and start selling it?
    Sure sounds like a chain letter scam to me.

OK, I give up..........so what's a "bitcoin"?[/QUOTE]

President Member
    HEY DOUG! Learn to Drift, and they might just let you in!