Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a new compound miter saw, and would like to know ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new compound miter saw, and would like to know ?

What possible benefit a laser beam has, the saw is all set up and locked/fixed in place before making the cut. you can make the same exact cut with or with out the light with the same end result, so what gives . I can see having laser on a skill saw,kinda running free hand. OR what am I missing here ?
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    What possible benefit a laser beam has, the saw is all set up and locked/fixed in place before making the cut. you can make the same exact cut with or with out the light with the same end result, so what gives . I can see having laser on a skill saw,kinda running free hand. OR what am I missing here ?
    I have the same thing on my compound miter saw. It's completely useless as far as I'm concerned. Besides it's not even accurate. Of course, I've never adjusted it.
    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 12-07-2017, 04:30 AM.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

63t-cab, the benefits are : The manufacturer gets to make a bit more money and splash the "feature" on the box and in ads as something new and useful, therefore drawing more "techies" to buy their product. They, in turn can then brag to their friends that don't know any better which makes them puff up with pride and may accidentally create another sale or two, ha ! (our saw has one too, and like Jerry Forrester's isn't quite accurate either) Toys for us
      boys I guess....

Comment

I had a Craftsman cheapie drill press that had a laser target to put crosshairs precisely on the drill center, +/- 1/8". Fortunately it had an "off" switch....

Comment

Best thing you can do with your miter saw:
          Buy the very best blade you can find.
          Then check every surface, angle and adjustment.
          Then make a 4 cut check of your adjustments.

Follow these simple set up tips to tune up your miter saw in order to make perfectly square cuts and cutting angles on your woodworking projects.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I've been using my Hazard Fraught saw about three or four years now. I have yet to adjust the backstops or adjust the blade to a perfect 90°. Therefore, everything I make is just a tiny bit off. It gives it that homemade look. I like it.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

How 'bout laser gun sights? I qualified "expert marksman" in the military, but not with any kind of laser gadget. Now that I have one, I've learned that it is pretty much useless 'cept for showing how "unsteady" I've become in my old age.
              Even if you can get the target to stand still, the little red dot keeps dancing.

Laser gadgets on power tools, properly adjusted, may give a few predictable cuts, until they get bumped around in a tool box, or during transport. Then, there's the huge supply of "retail box store" homeowner grade tools. Those are the tools with bronze bushings instead of quality bearings on shaft mandrels. On those tools, you can grasp the blade and wiggle it from side to side brand new. After a few cuts, the blade will wander like the steering on a Studebaker with a neglected worn out front suspension.

As with any power tool, the best performance will never be realized unless the blade/drill/abrasive/cutter, etc., is top quality. When I sold drill bits, I always emphasized the number of "holes drilled," over the cost of the bit. I can see, for example, a manufacturer of high quality picture frames, where a top quality bump proof laser guide is critical.

But... for most of us Studebaker folks, an occasional "adjusting procedure" known as "DIAL-IN" shouldn't be something we can't tolerate.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Before i spend any more money on a compound mitre saw I will check the saws parts list and make sure they make parts for the damned thing.
                Last one the main switch failed and they don't make the switch (in any of the brands it is marketed under).

Also.
                Make sure your compound mitre saw is capable of sawing 3"x4" blocks of aluminum without shooting fire out of the motor housing.
                Things like that are important to me...
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  Make sure your compound mitre saw is capable of sawing 3"x4" blocks of aluminum without shooting fire out of the motor housing.
                  Things like that are important to me...
                  Interesting choice for door and window trim!!

Comment

I still use my grandfather's home made wooden mitre box for small shoe mldg. jobs. Works great with a hacksaw. And it's pretty darn accurate too.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post

OH, Don't worry, like my new one , after 3-4 cuts the laser don't work nomore..

Comment

Yes, I have a "laser beam" on mine and it is of no use whatsoever! It cannot be adjusted to be accuate enough for my purposes. It is a Craftsman and is a few years old now; I love it but I imagine the only use the "laser" has is to sell it to some novice so he'll know exactly where he is cutting his thumb off.

Comment

I played with the new saw some,got it dialed in close "but feel I can draw it in a bit more". all in all very decent for Me, just a Home owner, and just got back $32.00 Today due to it going on sale price " 30 day window "
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                          X