Thread: Tell me about the registries

Speedster Member

Tell me about the registries

OK. I'm supplying my info to the 50-51 registry.

And it's good to compile information on the Studebakers out there.

Is it shared someplace? What else do we do with it?

Hopefully other members with like Cars, can contact you for needs, help you analyze or fix it, find Parts, sell you Parts, or otherwise connect.

Some people that own the rarer Cars want to find out how many survive, but usually do not give up their Address.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-05-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

This was in an earlier post:

I am starting a 1950-51 Registry. Send your info (VIN,
    color, etc) to timcarlig@gmail.com

I'm Tim Carlig 1532 Countryside dr Shorewood Illinois 60404
    678 773 5764
    Currently own a 51 Commander Landcruiser and 57 Commander Deluxe 4dr sedan.

I keep the '64 Daytona Hardtop registry.....seems like lots of folks don't want their information listed....why?.....I don't understand.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I was on a few registries here and there, but do I really want everyone to know if I have this car or that car, one of 30 or even more rare? NO.

So Tim, your Cars are stored in an Underground, Steel re-enforced, Concrete "Bunker" with a Surveillance System right?

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Alright you guys;
    Tim is doing something about the cars and owners of the cars that are the registry . As I manage two registries I don't publicize any information other than the owners name general location IE if he or she lives 123 4th st Toronto Ontario all that is listed is Ontario and the cars serial number and that to only other registry members . This is done for privacy reasons and has been accepted by members of both registries with great success . So all those naysayers and those with sarcastic remarks give it a break and register your cars or trucks which ever the case is .

From the “for what it is worth” section:
    I host the Wagonaire Registry. The Wagonaire is one of those Studebaker models that has some parts and problems that are unique to it. I publish the Registry on line at wagonaire.info but it contains no information about the owner, only about the car and the county, state, and city where the car is located. No personal information about the owner is available from what you see on the site. Go to the site wagonaire.info and take a look, please!

When a Wagonaire is registered the owner can supply as much or little information as they wish. There is a provision for up to six photos of the car and, hopefully, information about the different options present on the car. The owner can also give a short history and/or comments about the car. I think having this information available is important to making the Registry useful to everyone.
    If someone, either another owner or just a viewer interested in Wagonaires, wants to contact a specific owner they can fill out a short form at the bottom of the page for that Wagonaire with their request and their contact information and send it to the Registry. I will then notify the owner of the request that has been received and the contact info of the person making the request. The owner may then decide if they want to respond to the contact or not. It is their decision if they want to make their personal information available to another party.
    For example, information about the details of a third seat in the Wagonaire are pretty hard to come by. If there is a Wagonaire on the Registry that has a third seat it is possible for someone who needs some information to send a question or request for specific information to the Registry. That request will then be forwarded to the owner but their personal information remains safe. That feature has already been successfully used a few times.

I have been working to get some new features added to the site. So far I have a Wagonaire Parts Wanted/For Sale page in the works along with a Wagonaires Wanted/For Sale page. Registered owners will be able to post items to those pages. I’m not trying to take away from our great Studebaker Swap site, where I am a regular user, I’m just trying to make it easier for Wagonaire owners to find or offer items to the people most likely to be interested in them. Those two pages should be available in the next few weeks. I also am working on getting a section for “Wagonaire Stories”. Because of the ability of owners to give a history of their Wagonaire when registered, I have come across some really interesting stories that I think other owners would enjoy as well. Currently I have three owners who have agreed to allow their stories to be published on the site. This feature is one I am really excited about.

I’m always open to suggestions on how to make the site more useful so hopefully some of the owners will chime in and help me do that.
    For what it is worth!
    Nick

What are folks afraid of?...that someone will steal your car?....or that someone will discover that you have their stolen car?Why can't these folks then just supply the serial number so we can know how many still exist?...you don't have to reveal its location....makes no sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by old fart View Post
    Alright you guys;
    Tim is doing something about the cars and owners of the cars that are the registry . As I manage two registries I don't publicize any information other than the owners name general location IE if he or she lives 123 4th st Toronto Ontario all that is listed is Ontario and the cars serial number and that to only other registry members . This is done for privacy reasons and has been accepted by members of both registries with great success . So all those naysayers and those with sarcastic remarks give it a break and register your cars or trucks which ever the case is .
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

President Member
    Post 2, 7, 8 and 9.....well said. Yes Rich, the bunker took several years to complete. Lol. Actually I used to park my new car in the driveway unlocked with the keys on the floor til it was stolen last year. I'm more responsible now, locked!!

President Member
    As many Forum followers know, I am the keeper of the 1964 Daytona Convertible Owners Registry. It contains as much information as was possible to obtain but it does not contain information relating to addresses, telephone numbers or email addresses. This was done to satisfy confidentiality concerns from many members who did not want this information shown.

However, one thing that has always puzzled me is that since the name of the owner and city is listed, all one has to do is purchase a roster from SDC, do the cross reference, and you will find the contact information you need. So much for confidentiality.

Stu Chapman

President Member
    I have also ran into some personalities which do not want to know how many of their cars still exist, so they can still "believe" their's is a super rare example, and therefore more valuable.
    Mike Sal
    (keeper of the yet unofficial '66 registry)

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Mike : Don't you think it is time for you to step out of the shadows and contributed to an official registry ??? Try this on for size . 1964 Commanders (2&4Drs) 1964 Challengers 1964 Daytona 2&4Dr sedans ,1965 Commanders 2&4Dr sedans 1965 Daytona 4Dr sedans , 1966 commanders 2&4Dr sedans , 1966 Daytona 4Dr sedans . Or take on the 1966 cars not being represented or 1965 's that aren't represented or the 1964 that aren't being represented you have some of the 1966's already. You say you are an unofficial registry sorry to me and many others all that is a personal collection of yours . You obviously have the talent for gathering and keeping information so put it to good use and benefit of the club . Anyone else who would like to see Mike step up . Mike email me if your interested . Terry not4u@nlis.ca

I really don't view that I have any obligation to inform anyone else as to what vehicles I may own. I know where to find parts and how to work on them and will share information with those that I think need it. Being part of a busybody clique has no appeal to me.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Mike : Don't you think it is time for you to step out of the shadows and contributed to an official registry ??? Try this on for size:/Cut/1964 Daytona 2/Cut/Dr Sedans, 1965 Daytona 4Dr Sedans, /Cut/1966 Daytona 4Dr Sedans./Cut/Terry not4u@nlis.ca
    Those would be REALLY easy registries to do Terry, as NONE were built!

President Member
    Guido...."busybody clique".....really??? I've been a club member for four years and been helped many times after posting questions on this forum. To each his own I guess

Go easy on Guido, he and I are in the 'Stop eye ball'n my Studebaker through the fence clique'

Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    Guido...."busybody clique".....really??? I've been a club member for four years and been helped many times after posting questions on this forum. To each his own I guess
    You seem to be confused or have taken my comments out of context. My comment referenced my view that registers are the work of busybodies and in many cases placing the information on a list does not provide any real benefit. Just a small portion of people involved in the Studebaker hobby participate on this forum thus most extant vehicles never make it onto a list. With unique vehicles (i.e. Packard Hawks) there may be some benefits from a parts standpoint but I do not see that with Larks or Champ trucks.

Just my opinion, anyone is free to play the game if they so choose. I prefer to keep my life private and not let the world know what I own and what I am doing.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Studerich :

I am shocked by your comments easy one as none were built ?? You say that the options I listed for Mike for registries , were never built ?? I was under the impression you were very knowledgeable when it came to Studebakers but now have my doubts . We have a member in our chapter with a 64 , 65 and 66 commander 4 dr sedans and his son has a 66 Daytona 4dr and a 65 Daytona 4 dr sedan . I am not looking for an arguement because I won't play that game , there is too much BS in the world as it is . This hobby is supposed to be an enjoyable one .And as for Guidos comments We all know were he sits .By the way Studerich what kind of Stude is in that picture with you ?? Looks like a Commander or Daytona 4 Door .

Golden Hawk Member
    Studerich :

I am shocked by your comments easy one as none were built ?? You say that the options I listed for Mike for registries , were never built ?? I was under the impression you were very knowledgeable when it came to Studebakers but now have my doubts . We have a member in our chapter with a 64 , 65 and 66 commander 4 dr sedans and his son has a 66 Daytona 4dr and a 65 Daytona 4 dr sedan . I am not looking for an arguement because I won't play that game , there is too much BS in the world as it is . This hobby is supposed to be an enjoyable one .And as for Guidos comments We all know were he sits .By the way Studerich what kind of Stude is in that picture with you ?? Looks like a Commander or Daytona 4 Door .
    Not Rich. I will agree with you on the three years of Commander four door sedans, but there were no '65 or '66 Daytona four door sedans as well as no '64 Daytona two door sedans. The only Daytonas for 1965 were two door sedans (Sports Sedans) and Wagonaires. The only Daytona for 1966 was the two door sedan (Sports Sedan).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

In 1965 -66 don't confuse a Commander with a Daytona or a Cruiser........ or one with a nameplate that does not belong there......

Kinda like 'cut, copy , paste' I think he pasted Commander on accident, kinda hard to see.

President Member
    Well Guido, I'm not a busybody. I'm starting the 50 51 registry because I believe it will be helpful. On more than a few occasions I have reached out to owners of 63 R2 Hawks, 57 Commander sedans and now my 51 Landcruiser for help with originality questions and problems unique to those vehicles.

And in closing Guido, if you don't want to join a registry that's your choice. No need for name calling to people you don't even know, like me. Out of context? I'm not a busybody.
    Last edited by tim333; 12-07-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Studerich:/Cut/
    We have a member in our chapter with a 64 , 65 and 66 commander 4 dr sedans and his son has a 66 Daytona 4dr and a 65 Daytona 4 dr sedan./Cut/By the way Studerich what kind of Stude is in that picture with you ?? Looks like a Commander or Daytona 4 Door .
    You need to ask your Local Members what they own, you'll probably find out the "Daytonas" are Cruisers.

The Car in my Photo is a '64 Daytona Hardtop, I owned.
    No Daytona 2 Door Sedans were built in '64, only the Sports Sedans in '65 & '66.
    Daytona 4 Door Sedans were only built in 1964.

No argument or games here, just stating the FACTS.

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Studerich :
    I knew if I wanted to get some straight answers without any run a round was to rattle some cages and the best cage to rattle was yours and I thank you for keeping up my faith . The member I was referring to has those cars that I mentioned and for many years were registered as such (the Daytona's ). For ten years it continued until he went to sell one that is when he found his Daytona's were 64's" But the Commanders are what they are . And further I whole hardily agree with tim333 . And S ya I have seen that " cut and paste " before only on a 63 .
    Well folks still looking for someone to manage the 64-66 commander and challenger Registry any volunteers ??

Old Fart

Quote Originally Posted by tim333 View Post
    Well Guido, I'm not a busybody. I'm starting the 50 51 registry because I believe it will be helpful. On more than a few occasions I have reached out to owners of 63 R2 Hawks, 57 Commander sedans and now my 51 Landcruiser for help with originality questions and problems unique to those vehicles.

And in closing Guido, if you don't want to join a registry that's your choice. No need for name calling to people you don't even know, like me. Out of context? I'm not a busybody.
    Help me understand the benefit of placing a vehicle on one of the registries maintained on this site. They are merely a compilation of the vehicles owned by Forum participants (both SDC members as well as non members) and thus do not capture any owners outside of this small universe. I do acknowledge that long term stand alone registries (i.e. Frank Ambrogio's 56J register and Bob Johnstone's Avanti site) have garnered information outside of the club and are a valuable resource for those models. This is mainly true because these are limited production, high performance vehicles that were trendsetting in their day that have broad appeal outside of the Studebaker hobby in the larger collectible car world.

In the 1950 and 1951 model years Studebaker produced a total of 611,729 Champion and Commander cars. At best you may be able to list several hundred vehicles which would be an infinitesimal fraction of the total number that were produced. Good luck in your endeavor to list all these vehicles.

President Member
    As stated before Guido, very simple. If someone has a restoration question or a problem he can't solve, reaching out to others with the same vehicle may help. It has for me many times. I surely don't expect to list EVERY vehicle made! Since you're obviously not interested and very negative, why not just keep quiet.

President Member
    Guido, you obviously believe that model registries have little value and I respect your right to express that opinion. However you might ponder the fact that the 1964 Studebaker Daytona Convertible Owners Registry has registered over 63,000 views on the Forum. Little value? Little interest?

Let me take this opportunity to thank all those dedicated members who faithfully maintain the many registries for SDC.

Stu Chapman

President Member
    In my case, I own two 1966 Studebakers. I'm an engineer by trade and am interested in numbers & stats, so I thought it would be interesting to see how many of "the last of the Mohicans" are out there. I have about 125 VIN's recorded so far (not all are surviving cars). MOST of the cars I have captured came from outside this forum. I only list the owner's name and the state (or province) they live in.

My registry exists only as an excel file with many tabs. It includes every piece of documented information (TW, etc) I have been able to find so far. I am not very computer literate, so do not know how to make a fancy website for the registry (i.e. the one for stationwagons is very nice). Over the last few years I have reached out on this forum for '66 owners to contact me with their information, and have provided a copy of the excel file to anyone who has asked for it. If someone were to teach me how to do it, I could provide it to the club website for viewing. I plan to retire in about 15 months and will have more time to devote to it.

I concur with Tim333's comment.....if you don't want to participate, then don't....just don't bother others who do. Is my method the best...no. Has it been fun and interesting...YES.

BTW, I also own a 1950 Champion....I plan to send it's information to Tim for his registry.
    Mike Sal(tsgaver)
    life member SDC

President Member
    As an "ad on" to this thread, I have been gathering info related to 1959 Larks' for a future registry. At this point I can't do much more due to time constraints but I will attempt to collate all the Info I've gathered so far and try to figure out the best method to get it to all those who are interested. I'm not real good with computers but I have gathered a list of 27 vehicles and owners and will do the best I can. This will probably take place sometime earlier in the new year.
    Bill

Great Job Stu!......your registry has been most interesting.....it inspired me to do the '64 Daytona Hardtops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    Guido, you obviously believe that model registries have little value and I respect your right to express that opinion. However you might ponder the fact that the 1964 Studebaker Daytona Convertible Owners Registry has registered over 63,000 views on the Forum. Little value? Little interest?

Let me take this opportunity to thank all those dedicated members who faithfully maintain the many registries for SDC.

Stu Chapman
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Thanks, Stu.

Registries are a great resource for the likes Fred K. Fox, Richard Quinn, George Krem and others who wish to submit articles on specific Studebaker models/options, etc. Registries are a bit more in-depth than the listings in the roster which include body style, color, significant options & accessories. Now with Turning Wheels being published in full color, a feature writer may possibly want a specific color or option; it would not be out of line to pursue a roster for a subject car in a particular color. A prime example trying to locate a 1960 Lark VIII 2 door sedan in Gulfstream Blue for the Holman-Moody article of which none could be found in time, so a red car was published on the cover. Therefore, I do see some value of these registries and passing on thanks to those who maintain them.

Perhaps Guido is upset is because Ann forgot to include him as Clarke floor buffer registry keeper a few issues back, along with all the other registry keepers.

Craig

Stu Chapman
    I think you are confusing a listing of vehicles and owners with an active thread on the Forum. There is a big difference...

Commander Member
    Everyone has their two cents - just sharing mine (on registries). I was considering a '62 Hawk in CA, and reached out to the Registrar for that model. He was able to fill in blanks for me and share some older pictures of the car, and solidified my intent to buy it. This was exceptionally helpful, and demonstrated the value of registries to me - I then volunteered to run one (The Orphan Hawks), and that's going well. I've already had a few people reach out looking for car data from long-lost Hawks - no matches yet, but we're young at this

Speedster Member
    I'm almost sorry I started this thread.

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    John :

Don't be at least you have a better Idea of registries .

I recall a post a few years ago that had much input, and interest. "firewall tags' or ' cowl tags' .

Anyway, many of us collect these and there are a very large number of these floating around. It is unfortunate that most of these came from cars that we parted out, but we saved them to help ID what the box, or boxes of parts came from. I have DOZENS of these, and I remember an old regular of the forum that had over 100.

These are a way to fill in the gaps of some of the 'missing cars and trucks' . These are NOT serial numbers, but can shed some light on the model, and its color.

I am positive a have some from Champ Trucks, Wagonaires, Hawks, Cruisers, M5 trucks......