Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: WTB 8.5" clutch and pressure plate

Howdy guys,

Ebay has been difficult trying to find a 8.5" clutch and pressure plate. I got a 61 Lark OHV 6, 3spd OD.
    Im on a budget that has shrunk from $300 to $200. If you can help me out, hit me up so we can make a deal

Thanks,
    Ryan

I've got a bunch of NOS clutches, but I think they're 10", I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
      I've got a bunch of NOS clutches, but I think they're 10", I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.
      Great, thanks man!

Comment

Anyone elsr want to help a fella out?

Comment

Ryan,

Do you have the Studebaker parts numbers you are looking for, because when it comes to clutches Studebaker had a lot of variations?

For example the 1959-1964 Studebaker parts book lists at least 6 different clutch disk options for 1961 6 cylinder cars; such as those for ST (Standard Transmission), OD (Overdrive), HD (Heavy Duty) or those used in the Y1 (long wheelbase models), plus a couple variants depending on the serial number, etc.

It gets even more complex, because in later Studebaker parts price books (Book F) they show substitutions for some of the different clutch disks.
          Last edited by dpson; 12-05-2017, 01:42 PM.
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
            Ryan,

Do you have the Studebaker parts numbers you are looking for, because when it comes to clutches Studebaker had a lot of variations?

For example the 1959-1964 Studebaker parts book lists at least 6 different clutch disk options for 1961 6 cylinder cars; such as those for ST (Standard Transmission), OD (Overdrive), HD (Heavy Duty) or those used in the Y1 (long wheelbase models), plus a couple variants depending on the serial number, etc.

It gets even more complex, because in later Studebaker parts price books (Book F) they show substitutions for some of the different clutch disks.
            I don't know anything yet. I haven't pulled the transmission yet due to being busy with school. My shop manual, the big yellow book for 60-64 Stude cars, doesn't seem to list a part number for clutch parts other than the alignment tool. I'd assume it's a Standard Duty OD 8.5" clutch.
            This is a 61 Studebaker OHV 6, 3spd column+OD, 4 door sedan.

I'll be pulling the tranny here soon after school lets out for winter break. Will the clutch inside have a part number on it?

Thanks,
            Ryan

Comment

Ryan,

You can find the 1959-1964 Studebaker Chassis and Body parts books on Bob Johnstone's site, here is the link to the section on clutches: http://studebaker-info.org/Tech/59x6...4chp47x60.html
              Last edited by dpson; 12-05-2017, 11:09 PM.
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                Ryan,

You can find the 1959-1964 Studebaker Chassis and Body parts books on Bob Johnstone's site, here is the link to the section on clutches: http://studebaker-info.org/Tech/59x6...4chp47x60.html
                Ok so from what the list has, i think its 1550959. It looks to be a 1 year only clutch

Comment

Sorry Ryan, I have no 8 or 8 1/2", all mine are 9 1/4", 10" or 10 1/2".

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                    Sorry Ryan, I have no 8 or 8 1/2", all mine are 9 1/4", 10" or 10 1/2".
                    Shoot. Would the 8" clutch system from a 60 lark work as well? Whats the downside to the slightly smaller clutch? Would it not grip as well?

Thanks for looking bensherb

Comment

Ryan, no guarantee but will check tomorrow with what I have for size.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                        Ryan, no guarantee but will check tomorrow with what I have for size.
                        Great! Thanks man! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by StarDiero75 View Post
                          Shoot. Would the 8" clutch system from a 60 lark work as well? Whats the downside to the slightly smaller clutch? Would it not grip as well?

Thanks for looking bensherb
                          I'm not sure if it the pressure plate will bolt to the flywheel, it might, but you can always use a smaller disk with a larger pressure plate. Yes, smaller is usually less grip.

Comment

Ryan,

One more piece of information that may be helpful in your search; every year or so Studebaker (later SASCO) released a "Parts Price List" (aka Book F) which, in addition to showing parts prices, also includes parts substitutions that the company authorized when they ran out of certain parts. These substitutions were functionally correct, but may not be exactly like the original part. If you look below you will see that in the 1970 update Studebaker (SASCO) now listed clutch disc part #1553598 as being a substitute for the 1550958 shown in the original parts book. They also show it as a substitute for the standard transmission (non OD) clutch disc, part number 1550964, so it could be inferred that any of these three numbers should substitute for the other. This should help broaden the options in your search for a clutch disc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Book F Clutch Disk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	1717501
                            Last edited by dpson; 12-07-2017, 12:18 PM.
                            Dan Peterson
                            Montpelier, VT

Comment

Ryan,

I did some searching in my parts and found a NOS 1553598 clutch disc and NOS 1550958 pressure plate.

I sold a bunch of discs at the International Meet last year and didn't know if there were any of these left.

The disc measures 9-1/8" in diameter and the pressure plate 9-1/4" in diameter.

If you think these will work for you send me a Personal Message (PM).

I think we can work something out within your budget, the only unknown is the shipping cost.
                              Dan Peterson
                              Montpelier, VT

Comment

Working...
                              X