No announcement yet.

WTB 8.5" clutch and pressure plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they are. I didn't notice this pic was an early one before I had all three glass bowls. It's had all three glass bowls for quite some time now. This engine has a Clifford Research cam and Rhodes lifters, along with a milled 170 Ford head and over bore. It will not run on just one carb so all three work simultaneously. It originally had a 4 speed behind it. It destroyed 3 of them, kept breaking cluster gears; and went through many clutches. I finally replaced the 4 speed with a C4 automatic, and blew up the first one of them. Then built a very heavy duty one, that has held up for decades. In the '65 Mustang this engine was originally in, it would pull the front end off the ground at launch. (kinda explains the busted transmissions ) Won't do it in this car, wheel base is too long. But it'll go like a bat outta hell and pull a 2.60 axle gear with 32" rear tires with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
      Yes they are. I didn't notice this pic was an early one before I had all three glass bowls. It's had all three glass bowls for quite some time now. This engine has a Clifford Research cam and Rhodes lifters, along with a milled 170 Ford head and over bore. It will not run on just one carb so all three work simultaneously. It originally had a 4 speed behind it. It destroyed 3 of them, kept breaking cluster gears; and went through many clutches. I finally replaced the 4 speed with a C4 automatic, and blew up the first one of them. Then built a very heavy duty one, that has held up for decades. In the '65 Mustang this engine was originally in, it would pull the front end off the ground at launch. (kinda explains the busted transmissions ) Won't do it in this car, wheel base is too long. But it'll go like a bat outta hell and pull a 2.60 axle gear with 32" rear tires with ease.
      Thats sick man!!! I want mine to be like that! I plan on putting my extra 200 in a 66 or 67 Fairlane.
      For the ranchero i got, other than the weber 32/36 adapter and the electronic ignition i havent done anyh performance stuff. Its got a 3.03 tranny with a ford 8" rear with 2.8 gears. Man that rear kills me sometimes. I dont shift into 3rd till 50mph, and i think thats around 3800 tp 3900rpm, unless i really need to step on it the i have to shift at whatg sounds like 4k to 4100. Then 3rd kick it down to 1800 or 1900. At 60 it does 2280 i think. Its crappy, which is why i want to do a T5 with a 4.11 rear and 22" tires. Thatll maje it real fun.
      Is a lark easy to modify for a T5? Id like it original but fun to drive, and good rpm on the highway. How is the stock t86 in general? How low does the OD kick it down? I dont know what kind of rear it has but i assume its the stock Dana, like a 44 i think? Probably a 3.5, similar to the Ranchero. Are the 170 OHVs semi quick? As compared to a ford 200? Just curious since ive never driven the lark, but im real anxious to get it going. Id kinda like to daily drive that, being more practical than the ranchero when it comes to people and space.

Comment

Does the 6 cylinder have index pins so the bell housing fits right back in place Rich?
        All Stude. Engines have "Dowel Pins" to center the Bell Housing to the Block and Crank, but they are NOT Factory matched identical on EACH Engine/Trans. combo.
        They are custom factory matched/dialed-in so are NOT interchangeable.

You have to re-drill those Dowel Holes oversize after "Dialing it in".

That is why you hear us constantly reminding newbe's that these are NOT Chevies, you cannot just "Bolt on" a Bellhousing that did not come from the Factory on that Block!

Some 6 Cyl. Truck Engines are different than V8's, instead of 2 fixed locating Dowels, they have 2 eccentric "Dowel Bolts" that you can turn to adjust/center.

You often buy an old 5 Owner Stude. that some "Garage" has installed a "Different" Block, NOS (Blank Serial) or used to the Bell Housing that was in the Car or tried to switch Std. to Auto Trans. or Car Engine in a Truck, they all will eventually "blow up in their face" if they do not read the Shop Manual.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          All Stude. Engines have "Dowel Pins" to center the Bell Housing to the Block and Crank, but they are NOT Factory matched identical on EACH Engine/Trans. combo.
          They are custom factory matched/dialed-in so are NOT interchangeable.

You have to re-drill those Dowel Holes oversize after "Dialing it in".

That is why you hear us constantly reminding newbe's that these are NOT Chevies, you cannot just "Bolt on" a Bellhousing that did not come from the Factory on that Block!

Some 6 Cyl. Truck Engines are different than V8's, instead of 2 fixed locating Dowels, they have 2 eccentric "Dowel Bolts" that you can turn to adjust/center.

You often buy an old 5 Owner Stude. that some "Garage" has installed a "Different" Block, NOS (Blank Serial) or used to the Bell Housing that was in the Car or tried to switch Std. to Auto Trans. or Car Engine in a Truck, they all will eventually "blow up in their face" if they do not read the Shop Manual.
          So as long as the bellhousing is original then i dont have to replace the dowel pins? Or i always have to replace them? As far as i know, everything is completely original.

Comment

Originally posted by StarDiero75 View Post
            Thats sick man!!! I want mine to be like that! I plan on putting my extra 200 in a 66 or 67 Fairlane.
            For the ranchero i got, other than the weber 32/36 adapter and the electronic ignition i havent done anyh performance stuff. Its got a 3.03 tranny with a ford 8" rear with 2.8 gears. Man that rear kills me sometimes. I dont shift into 3rd till 50mph, and i think thats around 3800 tp 3900rpm, unless i really need to step on it the i have to shift at whatg sounds like 4k to 4100. Then 3rd kick it down to 1800 or 1900. At 60 it does 2280 i think. Its crappy, which is why i want to do a T5 with a 4.11 rear and 22" tires. Thatll maje it real fun.
            Is a lark easy to modify for a T5? Id like it original but fun to drive, and good rpm on the highway. How is the stock t86 in general? How low does the OD kick it down? I dont know what kind of rear it has but i assume its the stock Dana, like a 44 i think? Probably a 3.5, similar to the Ranchero. Are the 170 OHVs semi quick? As compared to a ford 200? Just curious since ive never driven the lark, but im real anxious to get it going. Id kinda like to daily drive that, being more practical than the ranchero when it comes to people and space.
            Interesting, if your Ranchero has an 8" somebody changed it or the engine; they didn't come with a 6 cylinder and an 8". The 170 Ford in stock form is a bit more anemic than the 200, but it has a smaller combustion chamber than the 200. Hence the 170 head on the 200; higher combustion ratio , milled head also = higher CR. I've never had electronic ignition on it, it has a Malory dual point. I've found a 4.11 axle gear to generally be too low for a driver; typically limiting cruising speed to around 70-75 unless you like running with the RPM in the stratosphere. Usually something in the 3's is the best of both worlds.

My GT has the 3 spd OD, and a 3.54 axle. It works out very nicely. The OD does not "kick it down", it acts as another higher gear. With the low axle ratio you get good low end and the OD makes up for it in the top end. 2nd over is great, I can go from 45mph to 70mph in short order and still have another gear to cruise in at a reasonable RPM. There are guys offering T5 adapters for the Stude so the swap should be easy. I believe the T5's final is around .68 so an axle around .350 should be good.

My GT's trans is coming apart (counter shaft bearings are gonzoed) plus, traffic and my knees have enticed me to install a GM auto trans. The 3.54 dana is too low for the TH350 auto I have, (can't afford a 700R4) so I'll likely install an 8" with 2.69 gears to end up with a final drive close to what I'm after. If that's too high for the 289 to pull (which I doubt) I have several 8" 3rd members in different ratios I can swap in.

Comment

Thats neat!!
              My Ranchero should havw had a 7.5", still crappy but not as bad. Im assuming somone ruined it and swapped in a 7" which is anemic. It was a 3.5 though so no bad in town but crappy for highway. I swapped in the 8" recently due to failing rear end bearings. I like the 8" with its dropout.

I dont go faster than 70, on a good day i do 75. Where i live the speed limit dont go past 60 until yoy get hours out. I figured with the setup i want the rpms will be 2400 at 60 which i think is a nice highway rpm for the 6. If it hits a hill it can climb it easy or if i need to, downshift to 4th and have it spin 3700, plenty of power at 60. But part of me would like to find a 3.8 which wouldnt be as high if i had to downshift. But my rpms at 60 are roughly 2200, which is nice but no power and i definitely have to downshift. We have a lot of hills here in WA.

Thats cool with the overdrive. I really want to get the lark going. I probably wont ditch the tranny since its original, and the od sounds cool. Ill be definitely doing that t5 in the ranchero though.
              Would a weber 32/36 work nice on the OHV 6 or is it too much? My Ranchero seems to like it, and the extra barrel is nice.

Thats nice you have backup stuff, thata what im trying to have but all i have for backup stuff now are carbs. My dizzy in the ranch had a bad bearing so i put in the HEI. My other 7" rear will need mods to fit back in now since i had to have the driveshaft modded with a V8 rear yoke. And the brakes are smaller on the 7", plus 4 lug. Which im ruunning 4 in the front and 5 in the back. Haha. Ill be doing power, dual res, disks in the summer to the ranch.
              I picked up a power brake booster out of a 66 Cruiser that i want to use in the lark, the bolt holes match but i cant seem to find a master cylinder that has 4 bolts and fits it. The stock one i have lines up with the studs coming out but the bores dont line up. The Cruiser back at the Autowreckers still has the master cylinder but id like to get a new one, preferably dual res, any ideas where tk get one thatll fit the booster?

Comment

Whatever you do....don't throw the old clutch pressure plate away!! Get some of your money back by taking an old radiator fan and add a few modifications. I sold this one for $65 after a little colorful paint to enhance the Sea Turtle look:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07720.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1717519Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07721.JPG
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1717520Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07722.JPG
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1717521

It's nice to get some good money out of junk parts!!

Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by Treblig View Post
                  Whatever you do....don't throw the old clutch pressure plate away!! Get some of your money back by taking an old radiator fan and add a few modifications. I sold this one for $65 after a little colorful paint to enhance the Sea Turtle look:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69078[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]69079[/ATTACH]

It's nice to get some good money out of junk parts!!

Treblig
                  Thats neat man! I will definitely figure something out now!

Comment

Here are some better pics out in the sun after I had painted it with some silver/gray. The silver/gray was just a background color because Sea Turtles are normally bright Reds, Blues and Greens which my daughter will do, she has painting skills...I'm just a mechanic with a little imagination:;

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07723.JPG
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1717525Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07724.JPG
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1717526Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07725.JPG
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1717527

It's just a bunch of junk parts but with a little imagination......you never know, Glad you like it!!

treblig

Comment

I keep telling people to never throw away junk metal parts because people make some nice yard art with it.

Comment

Stardinero75, depending on how wide your 8"axle is you can easily swap the rear axles to 4 lug ones. The Mustang II, with the V6 or V8 came with 4 lug 8" axles. In fact, the 8" I have right now is 4 lug. I'll have to find 5 lug axles or re drill the 4 lug to 5 lug to use it in the Stude.

Treblig: Cool artwork, what is the turtle's head made of?

Comment

Stardinero75, depending on how wide your 8"axle is you can easily swap the rear axles to 4 lug ones. The Mustang II, with the V6 or V8 came with 4 lug 8" axles. In fact, the 8" I have right now is 4 lug. I'll have to find 5 lug axles or re drill the 4 lug to 5 lug to use it in the Stude.

The neck/head is a scrap piece of exhaust pipe I had laying around. I cut a few slots in one end and hammered it shut to form the head then cut a slot for the mouth and drilled a couple of holes for the nostrils. I have a boat load of old shock washers which I used for the eyes. I did cheat a little on the eyes....I mashed them in the middle with a ball peen hammer to make them bulge out (more like Sea Turtle eyes).

Treblig

Comment

I know which ones youre talking about. They're out of a Maverick, this 8" is out of a 66 Mustang. Its no big deal. This summer im putting disks on the front anyway as well as power dual res brakes. So im fine with the 5 lug and 4 lug for now. Im just praying nothing happens

Comment

Working...
                            X