No announcement yet.

Can I remove a 289 crankshaft without removing the transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer the first question, yes you can replace the crank without removing the trans. did it once a long while back to help out Bro- In -Law. it's tricky but we were successful and engine still going today. Good Luck, Doofus

Comment

The crank is scored enough to feel it when I run a finger nail across the surfaces.
      It might just barely make it if the mains were ground down to .040..
      Where would I find .040 under main bearings?

Comment

My old Studebaker dealer, back in the'60s, working alone in his two car shop, would regularly pull a Stude V-8 engine and trans together, and replace it with another in a single working day. An engine hoist, and the rest is a set of sockets and end wrenches. Its really not too difficult as most Studebaker's have relatively huge engine compartments, few accessories, and minimal wiring connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Galactica5 View Post
          The crank is scored enough to feel it when I run a finger nail across the surfaces.
          It might just barely make it if the mains were ground down to .040..
          Where would I find .040 under main bearings?
          Where you looked!
          David L

Comment

Take the crank out and make sure you can grind it .040 under before you buy any bearings.
            David L

Comment

Is crank welding not done anymore? Just a thought. running 2 welded up specimens and they are doing fine. Luck Doofus

Comment

Yes you can still get a crank welded. It is somewhat expensive.
                David L

Comment

I had the crank welded on my Autocross car because I could not find a good one. There is a guy in Terre Haute who does it in a machine shop that looks like a time capsul from 1950. He works there alone with about 5,000 cranks sitting around for company. The crank worked fine seeing duty at up to 9000 rpm whenever running in an autocross.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like about $200?
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Yes, but you won't get it back in, so fire up the torch.

Comment

Originally posted by 64Avanti View Post
                      How bad is the crank. There are some .040 bearing available.
                      Does anyone have a source for these .040 under bearings? I have heard this said before but nobody seems to know where they are.
                      sigpic1957 goldenhawk

Comment

UPDATE:
                        I found .040 under bearings on Ebay and had the original crankshaft machined.
                        I cleaned out the entire oiling system with compressed air and mineral spirits.
                        I also washed down the entire engine inside with mineral spirits.
                        There's not much a chance that any of the grit is still in there.
                        The cam bearings and above didn't get damaged
                        I'm installing the engine today.
                        Last edited by Galactica5; 06-16-2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X