Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest car design ever built?

I think so. This is the Pontiac Vivant.

Technically should not be called a Pontiac but it was built by Herb Adams when he was an engineer at Pontiac. It has a Pontiac based engine with a load of Pontiac HI Po parts in it from super duty engines etc. It has a tube frame, advanced suspension based on racing concepts, two seats, a hand formed aluminum body and the perfect touch the Pontiac brake integrated 8 lug wheels (like my Bonneville had).

The tail is heavily reminiscent of the Alfa Bat designs of the early fifties, while the front is the best rendition of the Pontiac dual nostrils which were based on the Ferrari Formula one car, the 163 (IRRC) which Phil Hill drove to the championship in 1961.

it is the most perfect design I ever saw. Still looks astonishing today.

Link to my thread on the Mercedes forum for pics:

I think so. This is the Pontiac Vivant . Technically should not be called a Pontiac but it was built by Herb Adams when he was an engineer at Pontiac.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I think so. This is the Pontiac Vivant.

Technically should not be called a Pontiac but it was built by Herb Adams when he was an engineer at Pontiac. It has a Pontiac based engine with a load of Pontiac HI Po parts in it from super duty engines etc. It has a tube frame, advanced suspension based on racing concepts, two seats, a hand formed aluminum body and the perfect touch the Pontiac brake integrated 8 lug wheels (like my Bonneville had).

The tail is heavily reminiscent of the Alfa Bat designs of the early fifties, while the front is the best rendition of the Pontiac dual nostrils which were based on the Ferrari Formula one car, the 163 (IRRC) which Phil Hill drove to the championship in 1961.

it is the most perfect design I ever saw. Still looks astonishing today.

Link to my thread on the Mercedes forum for pics:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...ml#post3770517
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not my cup of tea.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

To me, a production 1961 Pontiac is far better design; especially in a two door hardtop.

Craig

Comment

Styling is such a subjective matter....
        Yes, this does have the Bat styling queues...
        Looks like it was for sale pretty cheap, too...

(opinion)
        The proportions seem off a bit.
        The cabin area is too small, making the driver look too big in there.
        I can see where Jim Hall might have liked the side profile, as I see some Chaparral shape there...
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It's nice, but perfection is a debatable term...
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yawn... another sign I'm old
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Tough crowd!

I know, its ok but not as cool as a 49 Studebaker truck.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                It's nice, but perfection is a debatable term...
                Ask the Borg...they constantly look for perfection. Of course you would be assimilated in that search.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I wouldn't put the styling above many production cars, let alone one-off prototypes, including the Jaguar E-Type and the 1953 Studebaker Starliner.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

...and the original GT-40?

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                      ...and the original GT-40?
                      I was just giving two examples. It wasn't meant to be an all-inclusive list.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

This one will always have my vote in this category. And, at the rate the REAL Chrysler was bringing concepts to reality in that day, it was a real possibility we would see something close in showrooms, until Chrysler became the poster child for what was going to happen the next 15 years to the Industry. This is right up there with the Studebaker Sceptre with me:

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
                          This one will always have my vote in this category. And, at the rate the REAL Chrysler was bringing concepts to reality in that day, it was a real possibility we would see something close in showrooms, until Chrysler became the poster child for what was going to happen the next 15 years to the Industry. This is right up there with the Studebaker Sceptre with me:

https://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts...rger-1999.html
                          I like that Charger better than the one that is in production, but it just doesn't "do it" for me. I am not anti-Charger. I bought the first Dodge Charger in this area (January 1966 - mid-year introduction) and I also owned a 1969 Charger.

You mention the Sceptre. If Studebaker put that into production, I would have purchased that instead of my 1966 Charger.
                          Last edited by studegary; 12-04-2017, 07:24 PM. Reason: added Sceptre
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

OOOHHH... this is such a difficult question but for me it would have to be a three way split between the Citroën SM, the Studebaker Dictator Business Coupe, and the 1959 Pontiac Bonneville 4 door Vista Roof. I know this list is pretty damn incongruent but there is a method to my madness.

Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

The Barris Batmobile. Duh! Followed by the '51 Studebaker. "It's so neato cool! It looks like a rocketship!" Well, it deeply impressed my circa 9 year old self enough to set into motion spending the years getting into Studebakers, which lead to Google, Art Deco, Atompunk, and Dieselpunk.
                              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Working...
                              X