1964 Hawk Door Latches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1964 Hawk Door Latches

Sometime ago, years, I picked up a NOS set of door latches for my Hawk probably from Myers Studebaker. The part numbers are 306280 and 306281. I had a look at them today and they are definitely not for my Hawk but through a google search they are for 1953 -66 cars except C-K Hawks 1960-4 Champ trucks.

I seem to recall Jon Myers at the time telling me that I could modify them to work. Without taking my door apart does anyone know the modification?

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Pre 56 cars were different than 56-66. The the early ones have 4 mounting screws. Also C cab trucks used the 4 screw type. There were some differences in the 56-66 three screw type such as the primary latch was a small spring loaded flipper. Later versions used a two stage rotary latch without the flipper. When they couldn't get them right they decided to call it quits!
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      Pre 56 cars were different than 56-66. The the early ones have 4 mounting screws. Also C cab trucks used the 4 screw type. There were some differences in the 56-66 three screw type such as the primary latch was a small spring loaded flipper. Later versions used a two stage rotary latch without the flipper. When they couldn't get them right they decided to call it quits!
      I think he's asking about the latch, not the striker.

Comment

306280-81 Latches are for early sedans.

Chris.

Comment

Can not say in EVERY case ! but You can take latches with different part #s and spend a couple minutes to make work on a car/truck that is not specific to. done it myself.

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
          Sometime ago, years, I picked up a NOS set of door latches for my Hawk probably from Myers Studebaker. The part numbers are 306280 and 306281. I had a look at them today and they are definitely not for my Hawk but through a google search they are for 1953 -66 cars except C-K Hawks 1960-4 Champ trucks.

I seem to recall Jon Myers at the time telling me that I could modify them to work. Without taking my door apart does anyone know the modification?

Allen
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

This image is from my '64 GT with the latchClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC03428.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1717317 I fitted some time ago. I believe it is the earlier style as you will note that spring on the lower side. The door closes much nicer with this latch.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

This picture shows a Striker, the door Latch mounts to the door.

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
              This image is from my '64 GT with the latch[ATTACH=CONFIG]68749[/ATTACH] I fitted some time ago. I believe it is the earlier style as you will note that spring on the lower side. The door closes much nicer with this latch.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Usually you can use the latch part of a sedan type, they tend to get less use. The only differences I have found is the actuating arm for the handle push button are different lengths. (which you will have to modify if you use) I believe they all have the provision for the lock actuator square rod.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Brad, I had to search my brain for what I had to do to my swap. and You just explained it,easy to cross latches with little work.

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  Usually you can use the latch part of a sedan type, they tend to get less use. The only differences I have found is the actuating arm for the handle push button are different lengths. (which you will have to modify if you use) I believe they all have the provision for the lock actuator square rod.
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                  X