Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine Identification

Hi All-
    I was going to make a post requesting information as to the colours & hue I should repaint the engine of my 1962 GT Hawk, but on checking the engine number I thought that I ought to request some clarification on that as well.
    The stamping shows P I 0 2 3 8 4 (that is definitely an 'I' not a '1').
    Checking skip Lackie's Engine no. page (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp) it would appear that this is a 1963 engine transplant? The 'I' is September, but I'm not sure I am interpreting the rest correctly . BTW, this is an Australian delivery car in RH drive
    Back to painting- the block should be black I believe but is there a recommended hue, like flat, semigloss.....? Rocker covers Yellow, check. But what about the inlet, exhaust and water pump manifolds?
    Right now, I'm getting off as much of this infernal Chevy orange (and even yellow) as I can- the 289 might resemble a big block Chev, but it aint!
    The engine has just had a replacement sump (Rusted out, believe it !? ), crank and sump seals all around
    Thanks, Steve.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171118_160030.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1756173 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171118_160149.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1756174 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171122_120633.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1756175
    Last edited by Steve Winzar; 11-21-2017, 05:29 PM.

They used an I to signify a 1. So, it is a 63 engine. I'd say black with fairly low gloss. The engines were completely assembled before painting; the yellow valve covers had masks dropped over them when the black was hosed on so to be 100% authentic there should be be a bit of black overspray around the flanges of the valve covers. I know that on the OHV sixes the fuel pumps also had quite a bit of black on them.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Ross, So the engine is largely Black semigloss.

Comment

I believe that a silver engine with yellow rocker covers is correct for an Australian assembled 62 Hawk
        sigpic

Comment

Hi Wayne- Now I'm in a quandry. I suspected that this car (62V 45432) was CKD and packaged with a late 61 Engine because I saw silver paint on one head, but it appears it's a replacement and a bitzer at that.
          I'm really trying hard to 'restore' the car as it ought to be and despite my dislike for all that black paint I'd do it if it was the proper thing. Based on what I can find out about serial no/s, my car is right at 50% of the production year, so I guess it ought to colour up black.
          Any Aussies or Kiwis wanna wade in?
          Steve

Comment

Would you explain what a bitzer is, please? Does that mean it was assembled from bits lying about the shop?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Hi Roy- Yes that's right- bitzer this and bitzer that. There was black paint evident on some areas of the engine and silver on one head.

Comment

Hi Steve, as Wayne said above all Australian assembled vehicles had silver engine blocks, even the Mckinnon engines were painted this way. On 1962-64 engines you will often find black paint under the silver paint applied locally. Also if it still has the original Bosch coil it should be blue, and if it has a 2 barrel carby the Fram air cleaner will be orange. Pretty colourful hey!

Comment

ONLY in Australia! Really 1958 to 1961 Aluminum Silver Engines in EVERYTHING '62-'66!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    ONLY in Australia! Really 1958 to 1961 Aluminum Silver Engines in EVERYTHING '62-'66!
                    Yes! We used mostly the same colours as US built cars on rocker covers, fans, breather caps and dip stick handles up to 1964. The McKinnon engines had gold rocker covers!

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                      Hi Steve, as Wayne said above all Australian assembled vehicles had silver engine blocks, even the Mckinnon engines were painted this way. On 1962-64 engines you will often find black paint under the silver paint applied locally. Also if it still has the original Bosch coil it should be blue, and if it has a 2 barrel carby the Fram air cleaner will be orange. Pretty colourful hey!
                      If I have a WCFB Carter Carburetor, is the Air cleaner to be black?
                      Regards Steve

Comment

Thanks for the replies everybody- looks like I opened up a can of worms with this one!
                        Owing to my propensity (OCD ? ) to preserve originality, I was actually a bit disappointed to have to paint the block black, but now I have an excuse and validity to do it in silver- much nicer I think.
                        So Rockers yellow, Inlet Manifold Silver, Exhaust manifolds silver, Dipstick, Fanblades and Breather Caps in red- OK?
                        Thanks , Steve

Comment

No can of worms here at all. Australian engine colours have been well documented, see link - http://www.studeparts.com.au/eng-paint-colour-guide.pdf

The WCFB carby used a United brand air cleaner which was painted black.

Chris.

Comment

Thanks Chris, that sorts it. I remember seeing that chart once but couldn't find it again, so thanks for that.
                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X