Studebakers @ 2017 MCACN Show Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers @ 2017 MCACN Show Report

Team Ed George again knocked it out of the park with not one but two Studebaker-themed displays at The 2017 Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals November 18 and 19. What a terrific show!

C-K bodied high-performance Studebakers were the theme at the main Studebaker exhibit:

Andy Beckman was "manning" a table at the end of the exhibit near the Studebaker National Museum's Packard Hawk; obviously the first Packard to have ever been displayed in this prestigious show. Andy report a brisk business selling museum wares while answering questions about the high-performance Studes.

Elsewhere on the show floor was the interesting Avanti timeline display, which included Avantis, in chronological order, from the following model years: 1963, 1964, 1966, 1976, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1997, and 2007. The 1988 model year was represented by two cars, one coupe and one convertible. Again, all well-received:

In the entry foyer / hall were about seven prominent cars to "tease" everyone before they entered the show. The Studebaker among them was Steve Doerschlag's special red / black painted half roof 1963 GT Hawk with wire wheels that was the cover car on the June 1963 Motor trend and was in the 1963 Chicago Auto Show Studebaker display. It was also the cover car of the April 2014 Turning Wheels, in which was my full report of its discovery and restoration:

In other news, we're happy to report our SDC "Man of the Hour" at The Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals, Ed George, finally getting a long-overdue award for his dedication to this event and our Studebaker World.

To wit:

Congratulations on that, Ed. No one in The Studebaker World is more deserving, although we must tip our hat to the balance of Ed's regular crew; Eddie George and wife Anne, Luke Krooswyk and wife Michelle, and Jay Sliwa.

Luke did another fine job preparing large, well-illustrated information boards about the various cars in the C-K body display. Those included Ron Johnson's factory stick overdrive, Ceramic Green and White 1956 Golden Hawk, the first 56J to have been shown at MCACN...and Ron drove the car to the event from Rockford IL!

Special thanks must also be extended to Ed George's wife Cyndi, who has tirelessly worked alongside Ed all this time, charming Show Promoter Bob Ashton into listening to Ed's dreams for Studebaker displays...and rejoicing with Bob and the rest of us when those dreams have become reality!

Again to all involved: Thanks so much for this Herculean effort to present high-performance Studebakers in such a good light at such a glamorous show. Well-played! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-22-2017, 04:34 AM. Reason: 'Looks like the image rotated itself!
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I knew that Ron "rusty with oil" Johnson was going to be there! If you ever talk to Ron, he does NOT believe in trailers! Besides his 56 J, he also has 3 Airplanes including a Ryan PT-22, a couple of Buhl-Pups 8 motocycles, he also still has his wifes 65 Malibu that SHE is the original owner, other than that, he is normal! <G> I have to give him credit, he is the one that got me hooked on Studebakers. I helped him (along with a couple other of his students) Bring that 56 J back to life back in about 1972. He bought it from noe other than Bob Kaptyain!

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Thanks Bob for the report. Sounds like it was a great time. 2 different areas in the show with Studebakers in force. Must have been a busy couple of days and most likely not enough time to see and talk to every one. Thanks John

Comment

It was a great show. I'm so glad that I was able to attend

Denny L
        64 Avanti R1
        64 Daytona convertible R1
        40 President Club Sedan street rod

Comment

Do you get any skeptics saying "What are Studebakers doing here?" This display should make believers out of them.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Echoing everything BP said. Having exhibited my R2 Lark at this show a few couple of times in the past, I can appreciate all the hard work Ed puts into organizing the Studebaker display. When you think that our Studebakers had a show of force as big as what Pontiac would have, it is pretty amazing. Having known Ed for years, I know how hard, and how many hours, he put into this event.
            Thanks Ed, an looking forward to seeing what next year brings!
            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Thanks for the report, Bob, and thanks to Ed for all his efforts. Maybe next year the 55 will be there, too
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                Do you get any skeptics saying "What are Studebakers doing here?" This display should make believers out of them.
                Nah, Don; that goes away quickly in situations like this.

1998 was the first year we took The Plain Brown Wrapper to The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. One of the "heavies" there, whose name I've long since forgotten, cautioned us upon arrival, saying, "Do you know how fast these cars are?" (Or words to that effect.)

That year, The Plain Brown Wrapper won all ten practice runs in which it was entered, which was at random with whoever pulled up in the opposite lane.

Needless to say, the type of polite, raised eyebrow caution that was tendered upon our arrival was no longer heard anywhere on the grounds.

This year (2107) at the MCACN show, I overheard a conversation between a man and his wife as they were walking down an aisle adjacent to the Studebaker display, one row over. She said, "Oh, look; there's the Studebakers! Let's go see 'em." He replied, "In a minute, dear; we'll get there. Let's stay in this aisle so we see all the cars." BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Team Ed George again knocked it out of the park with not one but two Studebaker-themed displays at The 2017 Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals November 18 and 19. What a terrific show!

In other news, we're happy to report our SDC "Man of the Hour" at The Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals, Ed George, finally getting a long-overdue award for his dedication to this event and our Studebaker World.

To wit:

Congratulations on that, Ed. No one in The Studebaker World is more deserving, although we must tip our hat to the balance of Ed's regular crew; Eddie George and wife Anne, Luke Krooswyk and wife Michelle, and Jay Sliwa.

Luke did another fine job preparing large, well-illustrated information boards about the various cars in the C-K body display. Those included Ron Johnson's factory stick overdrive, Ceramic Green and White 1956 Golden Hawk, the first 56J to have been shown at MCACN...and Ron drove the car to the event from Rockford IL!

Special thanks must also be extended to Ed George's wife Cyndi, who has tirelessly worked alongside Ed all this time, charming Show Promoter Bob Ashton into listening to Ed's dreams for Studebaker displays...and rejoicing with Bob and the rest of us when those dreams have become reality!

Again to all involved: Thanks so much for this Herculean effort to present high-performance Studebakers in such a good light at such a glamorous show. Well-played! BP
                  Indeed, Bob,

Thanks to Ed & Cyndi and crew, it was an over-the-top show once again this year, and attracted many interested ones, along with the help of Lew Schucart and others promoting AOAI at the Avanti Timeline display, and Andy Beckman promoting the Studebaker National Museum. Many of the Studebakers entered won various 'Pick Awards' and the best 'group display' award.

If you don't nominate Ed & Cyndi for the Harry Barnes Award for promoting Studebakers and SDC to the public, I will.

Craig

Comment

Great idea on the nomination, Craig; I'll do it.

Your pictures are gorgeous, of course; that's a wonderful camera you have. Thanks so much.

What photo hosting site do you use? Photobucket is about to cut me off and I need to know where to go. Thanks. BP

Comment

the amount of effort to orchestrate all of this boggles my mind. Awesome job to all those involved. I hope to see in person someday.

Comment

Congrats to everyone involved in making this a fabulous Studebaker presentation.
                        In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than this!
                        Bill

Comment

Congrats to Ed George. I can't get over the incredible turnout of Studebaker cars, plus the beautiful Packard Hawk. I'd say Studebaker was well represented.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Every Studebaker there was outstanding! Not sure which one my favorite but looking at the 55 Speedster sure brought back some fond memories; my first Stude was its twin. The restoration work on that car was just impeccable.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	01EF08FD34AA4A2588D40394E173C242.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1717320
                              Here is a picture of the Avanti GT at the show. It was prepared by Hamilton Chapter member Larry Gibson. Neat car.

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
                              studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Working...
                              X