Thread: Studebakers @ 2017 MCACN Show Report

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Studebakers @ 2017 MCACN Show Report

Team Ed George again knocked it out of the park with not one but two Studebaker-themed displays at The 2017 Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals November 18 and 19. What a terrific show!

C-K bodied high-performance Studebakers were the theme at the main Studebaker exhibit:

Andy Beckman was "manning" a table at the end of the exhibit near the Studebaker National Museum's Packard Hawk; obviously the first Packard to have ever been displayed in this prestigious show. Andy report a brisk business selling museum wares while answering questions about the high-performance Studes.

Elsewhere on the show floor was the interesting Avanti timeline display, which included Avantis, in chronological order, from the following model years: 1963, 1964, 1966, 1976, 1983, 1988, 1989, 1997, and 2007. The 1988 model year was represented by two cars, one coupe and one convertible. Again, all well-received:

In the entry foyer / hall were about seven prominent cars to "tease" everyone before they entered the show. The Studebaker among them was Steve Doerschlag's special red / black painted half roof 1963 GT Hawk with wire wheels that was the cover car on the June 1963 Motor trend and was in the 1963 Chicago Auto Show Studebaker display. It was also the cover car of the April 2014 Turning Wheels, in which was my full report of its discovery and restoration:

In other news, we're happy to report our SDC "Man of the Hour" at The Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals, Ed George, finally getting a long-overdue award for his dedication to this event and our Studebaker World.

To wit:

Congratulations on that, Ed. No one in The Studebaker World is more deserving, although we must tip our hat to the balance of Ed's regular crew; Eddie George and wife Anne, Luke Krooswyk and wife Michelle, and Jay Sliwa.

Luke did another fine job preparing large, well-illustrated information boards about the various cars in the C-K body display. Those included Ron Johnson's factory stick overdrive, Ceramic Green and White 1956 Golden Hawk, the first 56J to have been shown at MCACN...and Ron drove the car to the event from Rockford IL!

Special thanks must also be extended to Ed George's wife Cyndi, who has tirelessly worked alongside Ed all this time, charming Show Promoter Bob Ashton into listening to Ed's dreams for Studebaker displays...and rejoicing with Bob and the rest of us when those dreams have become reality!

Again to all involved: Thanks so much for this Herculean effort to present high-performance Studebakers in such a good light at such a glamorous show. Well-played! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-22-2017 at 07:34 AM. Reason: 'Looks like the image rotated itself!
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    I knew that Ron "rusty with oil" Johnson was going to be there! If you ever talk to Ron, he does NOT believe in trailers! Besides his 56 J, he also has 3 Airplanes including a Ryan PT-22, a couple of Buhl-Pups 8 motocycles, he also still has his wifes 65 Malibu that SHE is the original owner, other than that, he is normal! <G> I have to give him credit, he is the one that got me hooked on Studebakers. I helped him (along with a couple other of his students) Bring that 56 J back to life back in about 1972. He bought it from noe other than Bob Kaptyain!

Jim

Speedster Member
    Thanks Bob for the report. Sounds like it was a great time. 2 different areas in the show with Studebakers in force. Must have been a busy couple of days and most likely not enough time to see and talk to every one. Thanks John

President Member
    It was a great show. I'm so glad that I was able to attend

Denny L
    64 Avanti R1
    64 Daytona convertible R1
    40 President Club Sedan street rod

Do you get any skeptics saying "What are Studebakers doing here?" This display should make believers out of them.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

President Member
    Echoing everything BP said. Having exhibited my R2 Lark at this show a few couple of times in the past, I can appreciate all the hard work Ed puts into organizing the Studebaker display. When you think that our Studebakers had a show of force as big as what Pontiac would have, it is pretty amazing. Having known Ed for years, I know how hard, and how many hours, he put into this event.
    Thanks Ed, an looking forward to seeing what next year brings!
    Eric DeRosa

\'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
    \'63 R2 Lark (the moneypit-mobile)

Thanks for the report, Bob, and thanks to Ed for all his efforts. Maybe next year the 55 will be there, too
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    Do you get any skeptics saying "What are Studebakers doing here?" This display should make believers out of them.
    Nah, Don; that goes away quickly in situations like this.

1998 was the first year we took The Plain Brown Wrapper to The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. One of the "heavies" there, whose name I've long since forgotten, cautioned us upon arrival, saying, "Do you know how fast these cars are?" (Or words to that effect.)

That year, The Plain Brown Wrapper won all ten practice runs in which it was entered, which was at random with whoever pulled up in the opposite lane.

Needless to say, the type of polite, raised eyebrow caution that was tendered upon our arrival was no longer heard anywhere on the grounds.

This year (2107) at the MCACN show, I overheard a conversation between a man and his wife as they were walking down an aisle adjacent to the Studebaker display, one row over. She said, "Oh, look; there's the Studebakers! Let's go see 'em." He replied, "In a minute, dear; we'll get there. Let's stay in this aisle so we see all the cars." BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Team Ed George again knocked it out of the park with not one but two Studebaker-themed displays at The 2017 Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals November 18 and 19. What a terrific show!

In other news, we're happy to report our SDC "Man of the Hour" at The Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals, Ed George, finally getting a long-overdue award for his dedication to this event and our Studebaker World.

To wit:

Congratulations on that, Ed. No one in The Studebaker World is more deserving, although we must tip our hat to the balance of Ed's regular crew; Eddie George and wife Anne, Luke Krooswyk and wife Michelle, and Jay Sliwa.

Luke did another fine job preparing large, well-illustrated information boards about the various cars in the C-K body display. Those included Ron Johnson's factory stick overdrive, Ceramic Green and White 1956 Golden Hawk, the first 56J to have been shown at MCACN...and Ron drove the car to the event from Rockford IL!

Special thanks must also be extended to Ed George's wife Cyndi, who has tirelessly worked alongside Ed all this time, charming Show Promoter Bob Ashton into listening to Ed's dreams for Studebaker displays...and rejoicing with Bob and the rest of us when those dreams have become reality!

Again to all involved: Thanks so much for this Herculean effort to present high-performance Studebakers in such a good light at such a glamorous show. Well-played! BP
    Indeed, Bob,

Thanks to Ed & Cyndi and crew, it was an over-the-top show once again this year, and attracted many interested ones, along with the help of Lew Schucart and others promoting AOAI at the Avanti Timeline display, and Andy Beckman promoting the Studebaker National Museum. Many of the Studebakers entered won various 'Pick Awards' and the best 'group display' award.

If you don't nominate Ed & Cyndi for the Harry Barnes Award for promoting Studebakers and SDC to the public, I will.

Craig

Great idea on the nomination, Craig; I'll do it.

Your pictures are gorgeous, of course; that's a wonderful camera you have. Thanks so much.

What photo hosting site do you use? Photobucket is about to cut me off and I need to know where to go. Thanks. BP

Ayn Rand:

Speedster Member
    the amount of effort to orchestrate all of this boggles my mind. Awesome job to all those involved. I hope to see in person someday.

President Member
    Congrats to everyone involved in making this a fabulous Studebaker presentation.
    In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than this!
    Bill

President Member

Wink

Congrats to Ed George. I can't get over the incredible turnout of Studebaker cars, plus the beautiful Packard Hawk. I'd say Studebaker was well represented.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

President Member
    Every Studebaker there was outstanding! Not sure which one my favorite but looking at the 55 Speedster sure brought back some fond memories; my first Stude was its twin. The restoration work on that car was just impeccable.

Speedster Member
    01EF08FD34AA4A2588D40394E173C242.jpg
    Here is a picture of the Avanti GT at the show. It was prepared by Hamilton Chapter member Larry Gibson. Neat car.

1961 Flamingo Hawk

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

Speedster Member
    The general public sure was enthusiastic to see the displays. I also got to talk to racing legend Paul Goldsmith. Great show. Ed does a great job. Cindy and I had fun.
    james r pepper

President Member Bordeaux Daytona's Avatar
    Thanks to Ed and friends for all their hard work. What a great show! I think the museum's Packard got an award too. Best lines?
    Here's some pics I took of the two seat Avanti
    Attached Images Attached Images

Commander Member
    The Studebakers even got a bit of promo on HRM online edition that showed the pre-show move in sneak peek.
    http://www.hotrod.com/articles/sneak...er-display-jpg

Speedster Member
    Thanks for the MCACN report ! We did have another Great Year of Studebaker Perfomance on display and the cars all seemed to receive some sort of special recognition . I am fortunate to have a lot of good people in my life that help make it happen . Craig Parslow is one and has been attending since 2015 arriving just in time to help set up that stays busy until the Show ends . The pictures he takes and gathering info for the next JT News is apreciated as well as being a good friend . Luke did another Great Job on the information boards he designs and Richard Quinn had some advertising artwork on display so the whole display really stood out again this year . The car owners should get a round of applause since it takes a comitment to attend and it was over we all have a group of new friends with good memory's to share . Next years focus is primarily Larks and excited to share we may have the Stude Tomato and Plain Brown Wrapper attend . I mentioned this to Bob Ashton and he thought it would be cool to have Teds Stude tow truck included with the Tomato on it so we wil see what happens . Think Hot Rod and Car Craft Magazine likes us being there since the last two years they have made it a point to include the Studebakers in their online Show Reports . Anyone with questions about this event are welcome to call me 708 250-2213 . Ed

Champion Member
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to be a part of this every year! Thanks to all the folks that bring their cars, it's a ton of work for them with some long days, but it pays off. Also, a huge thanks to Richard Quinn for much of the signage. I was short on time this year, and he provided some very neat posters that made the Hawk display really pop.

Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Halibrand1 View Post
    Next year's focus is primarily Larks and excited to share we may have the Stude Tomato and Plain Brown Wrapper attend . I mentioned this to Bob Ashton and he thought it would be cool to have Teds Stude tow truck included with the Tomato on it so we wil see what happens.
    Indeed, Ed, we are looking forward to featuring R-series engine Lark/Lark-types in 2018. Most significantly, there are a rather high amount of R-powered 1963 F-body two door sedans in Standard, Regal, and Custom trim levels that are restored, or well-preserved in nearly all the colors offered for that year. One of the highlights of MCACN are the 'theme circles' where a.) cars having a common characteristic such as sunroofs, lowest trim level with biggest engine, etc. are arranged in a circle, or b.) a certain make cars the same year or body style are arranged in a circle. An example are these Buick Skylark GS convertibles from a couple of years ago:

It will be nice to have another attention grabber as we did with the 'Avanti Timeline' this year, but next year, a 'theme circle' featuring 1963 F-body cars. (Picture THEM in place of these Buicks.) Therefore those with nice, presentable R-powered 1963 Lark two door sedans, please consider having your own exclusive 'theme circle' next year.

Craig

Agreed, Craig.

Further, I think we should go all the way over the top and have a genuine turntable in the center of the theme circle with one of the Studes on it, constantly rotating!

Cool beans. BP

Ayn Rand:

You can put mine on a rotisserie. I have a heavy duty battery hold down

Quote Originally Posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    Bob will supply the rotisserie. Guaranteed, the battery hold-down will the FIRST thing he'll check!!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Bob will supply the rotisserie. Guaranteed, the battery hold-down will the FIRST thing he'll check!!

Craig
    Damn Straight! BP

Ayn Rand:

Quote Originally Posted by warrlaw1 View Post

You mean turntable, like a record player..

When I hear Rotisserie I think of Chicken.. So You want your car rotated around the center of the bumpers? I guess you will need the battery hold down for that.

No. I meant rotisserie. I built it with a rotisserie. Every nut and bolt has been renewed or replaced. When you put the pedal down on a Pure Stock 55 you want to know what's under you.

Quote Originally Posted by SScopelli View Post

So You want your car rotated around the center of the bumpers? I guess you will need the battery hold down for that.
    Rotating on the 'X-axis', most definitely!

Also make sure the ashtray is closed. You don't want to start a fire.

Craig

LOL, Craig. I had an annoying rattle that baffled me until I pulled out the ashtray and all my parking meter coins were sloshing around in there.