Thrust block stuck backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Thrust block stuck backwards

Dana 44 twin trac. I pulled the axles to repack the bearings, possibly for the first time ever from what I see, and of course one of the thrust blocks falls out. It's backwards, and I can't get it out or to flip to the correct direction. I used my magnet on a stick thing, and the POS fell apart, leaving the magnet somewhere in there too. I can't seem to get the thrust block out so I can turn it and reinstall it, nor can I find that magnet. Without tearing the whole diff apart, does anyone have any ideas how to get teh thrust block and magnet out?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Find a dowel or broomstick that will fit in there, and epoxy a dime-size rare-earth magnet to the end. Let the epoxy set up real well before using that tool to fish for the lost lambs.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

it seems the magnet on the dowel isn't as strong as the one lost when first retrieving the button
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

If the lost Magnet is pretty strong, it very well may be stuck to the inside of the Axle Tube, so you will have to knock it off with your broomstick first.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm afraid the magnet may be inside the chunk, I can't see it looking down the tube. And I think it may be holding the thrust block in place, so that I can't get it back out.

How horrible a job is it to remove the chunk with the axle in the car? Will I need any of the special tools to remove and replace?
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Take it over to any decent 4wd shop. They work on Dana 44's all the time and have you fixed up in a couple of hours.
            The forum isn't going to fix your problem....
            There is a case spreader tool made that will assist in the removal and reinstallation of your carrier.
            But the cost of the tool will be more than having a shop pop out your carrier, grab the loose pieces, and put it back in.
            Since you are not changing any settings, no readjustment is needed (unless your tooth pattern shows something irregular.

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
            I'm afraid the magnet may be inside the chunk, I can't see it looking down the tube. And I think it may be holding the thrust block in place, so that I can't get it back out.

How horrible a job is it to remove the chunk with the axle in the car? Will I need any of the special tools to remove and replace?
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If you can turn the pinion, it is easy to remove the carrier. Drain it, remove the cover, and axles, remove the 4 bolts that attach the carrier. Now all you need to do is to place a shop rag between the ring and pinion teeth and turn the pinion. The carrier will back right out. To re-install, just use a dead blow hammer to seat in place, and reverse the removal process.
              78 Avanti RQB 2792
              64 Avanti R1 R5408
              63 Avanti R1 R4551
              63 Avanti R1 R2281
              62 GT Hawk V15949
              56 GH 6032504
              56 GH 6032588
              55 Speedster 7160047
              55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                If you can turn the pinion, it is easy to remove the carrier. Drain it, remove the cover, and axles, remove the 4 bolts that attach the carrier. Now all you need to do is to place a shop rag between the ring and pinion teeth and turn the pinion. The carrier will back right out. To re-install, just use a dead blow hammer to seat in place, and reverse the removal process.
                I tried this method, and it worked for me! Actually, I did not fully remove the carrier, (Spare tire recess kept it from moving further) but when about 1/2 of the splined hole was visible, I was able to reach in with a roach clip and remove the magnet and replace the pin.

Thank you everyone!
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

Comment

Haven't heard anybody call it a roach clip in maybe 40 years.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    Haven't heard anybody call it a roach clip in maybe 40 years.
                    Well I forgot what it's really called. It has been remanded to the tool box.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

Comment

Some people call it an alligator clip.....just sayin'
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I would also try a long piece of PVC tubeing attached to your shop vac to tyr ans suck the magnet and rubbing block out.
                        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                        61 V8 Tcab
                        63 Tcab 20R powered
                        55 Commander Wagon
                        54 Champion Wagon
                        46 Gibson Model A
                        50 JD MC
                        45 Agricat
                        67 Triumph T100
                        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Must be some pretty tiny alligators?

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                            Must be some pretty tiny alligators?
                            Guess so. BTW, do you know the easy way to tell and alligator from a crocodile? One will see you later, the other will see you in a while.
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

Boo-hiss...thats awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X