Correct engine color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct engine color

Searched the forum and could not find the answer. What is the correct engine colors on the 53 Commander 232? I am dropping a 289 in it but am trying to keep it looking correct. I have seen black, turquoise, orange........Do valve covers stay yellow? Color of Dg200 trans?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

The engine should be the medium to dark green of old style 30 WT. oil. I use Packard engine green myself.
    Black rocker arm covers.
    Last edited by studegary; 11-17-2017, 06:41 PM. Reason: missing be
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Studebaker Olive Green on everything Fan to Tail of Trans. They did have the Black 4 Bolt Valve Covers and Oil Filler Pipe with the Fuel Pump on the side of it, but I would not quite go there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51 Champ Business Coupe7.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1717244 Here's the correct Olive Color on a Six, it was used on all from '47 to '54.

Most of the C & K Models you see, do not have their Original 232's so are various Colors from newer Models.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-17-2017, 06:15 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Studebaker Olive Green on everything Fan to Tail of Trans. They did have the Black 4 Bolt Valve Covers and Oil Filler Pipe with the Fuel Pump on the side of it.
        The NOS 232 still in the factory crate that I have is exactly as Rich describes.
        Last edited by bensherb; 11-18-2017, 01:12 AM.

Comment

My former 1953 Champion coupe engine painting. Commander V-8s were the same color.

Name:	1953 Champion Engine.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1717251
          Bill L.
          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Rich, your 1st photo example seems to show the fuel pump green also. True?

Comment

'51 Commander:

Name:	pix 1117.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1717261

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                Rich, your 1st photo example seems to show the fuel pump green also. True?
                NO they were mostly Cad plated (Natural Metal) Color, but sometimes had some varying amount of Engine Enamel overspray usually not totally covered.
                Then again it depends on whether you have a High Mounted '51-'54 V8 Pump, a Low mounted '55-'64 V8 Pump or a Six as to HOW much paint hit it!

The bottom line is; they did not intentionally Paint it, if the year model dictated for it to be installed at Paint time, it got some overspray.

Name:	Provincial Eng2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1717263 Here is an ORIGINAL '57 Commander Engine, but it has a Bare, Aftermarket replacement Airtex Fuel pump. You can see how they slightly oversprayed the Valve Cover, even though it had a "Cover" over it.

Name:	V-8 Engine Line.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1717264 Here they are on the engine Line, running in New Engines and doing the Hot and Running Valve adjustments with the cut away Valve Covers in place, connected to Water, Fuel and the Exhaust exit system even a Temporary Air Cleaner probably not so much to keep the Engine Clean, but to keep trash like Bolts & Nuts OUT!

These are 1955 to 1957's so one might be yours Tim!

Thanks to Richard Quinn, of course!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 11-18-2017, 09:10 PM.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Great information. Is there a Krylon, Rust o leum paint name equivalent that matches the color?
                  51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                  53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                    Great information. Is there a Krylon, Rust o leum paint name equivalent that matches the color?
                    I never found one that I was happy with, so I bought a can from Studebaker International.

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                      I have never seen any for the correct green. I would think after all this time someone would have posted info if there was a good match, but you never know. You could look them up on line and see if anything is close enough to investigate in the store.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Cadillac (flathead) green is the same color, but won't be any cheaper.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Bought a really good match once at a model train store; can was marked "Olive Green."
                          Also, not to be a broken record, but the old Bell (telephone) System green is also correct.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                            Bought a really good match once at a model train store; can was marked "Olive Green."
                            Also, not to be a broken record, but the old Bell (telephone) System green is also correct.
                            And is this paint going to be 600 Degree compatible like Engine Enamel?
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

the engine paint at SI. spray: #800254 $13.75 per can. quart: #800810 $56.95.

i purchased 2 cans when i painted the 40's engine and a little touch up later on the '51. i still have almost a full can left.

before & after on the '40.

Name:	DSCF0437.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1717275Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0442.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1717276
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X