Need battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Need battery

I have been looking for a six volt battery for my 50 Champion. Not very pleased with what is offered. Especially the one year warranty. If someone can give me some ideas about where to purchase one with reasonable CR AMPS and a longer warranty it would be appreciated.
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Farm Supply Stores should have a heavier Duty, Higher Cranking AMP's Battery for Tractors and equipment in a Group 1,
    6 Volt. You may have to drive out in the Country a bit to find one.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have heard great things about the Optima batteries if you are willing to spend the $$$. I have picked up 6V batteries from both NAPA and Advanced Auto and they seem to last me about 7-8 years which seems pretty good to so I stopped worrying about it.

Nathan

Comment

Rural King Supply has the best deals on good batteries, bar none.

Currently, their everyday price on a Group 24 12-volt Exide battery with 60-month pro-rated warranty and one year free replacement, is only $44.95 exchange. I bought two of them for two of my '64s last month so as to not have to schlep batteries from one car to another during winterization.

Of course, that's not the size you need for a 1950 Champion, but they have an assortment of Group 1 6-volt batteries at comparable prices. And all the free, hot, freshly-popped popcorn you care to eat as soon as you come in! BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 11-15-2017, 05:57 AM. Reason: added prices
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I've got both 6 and 12 volt Optima's.
          Zero problem, even sitting for long periods, going on 5 years for the 6 volt.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
            I have heard great things about the Optima batteries if you are willing to spend the $$$. I have picked up 6V batteries from both NAPA and Advanced Auto and they seem to last me about 7-8 years which seems pretty good to so I stopped worrying about it.

Nathan
            I used Optima batteries for years. No more. They were bought out by Johnson Controls, and moved production to Mexico. I am not bashing Mexico or any other country. I fully realize that if the company kept the same materials, the same manufacturing methods and the same quality control, Mexico assembly would be perfectly fine. It this case, it isn't fine. I bought four Optimas in the last few years, and three have failed prematurely. The fourth one is still going, but is only one year old. I didn't find out about the quality issues until after I bought.

Comment

The problem with Optima batteries is that you have to return them to the store you bought them.
              If you are 2000 miles away from home you can not get a replacement.

Comment

Any decent auto parts store should be able to get you a heavier duty Group 1. If not, go to a store that only sells batteries. The Tractor Supply / Rural King farm store suggestion is probably worth a try too. Buy the one with the highest amperage you can find and it will last for several years, minimum. The regular Group 1 6 volt batteries have a very short life, in my experience.

Comment

I just replaced the 6 volt battery in my 1950 Champion this spring. It was a Fleet Farm battery and was 13 or 14 years old.
                  I never would buy a high priced Optima battery since I always get more than 10 years from a regular 6 volt battery.

Comment

Thank you to all who offered suggestions.
                    sigpicJimmie
                    Orange County, Indiana
                    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

I got a commercial 6 volt from NAPA....it's huge and it turns over my 245 easily

Comment

If you have a local Caterpillar store, they sell good quality 6 volt batteries. Equipment uses 4of them for their 24 volt systems. I have also had good luck with the 6 volt Optima.
                        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                        X