Passing of John Dusky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing of John Dusky

Looked through the posts and didnt see any but received the e-mail yesterday. Sad news indeed.

Hi Everyone,

In case you have not heard yet, we learned of the passing of one of our most inspirational and dedicated members. Not to mention my best friend. John Dusky was truly a one of a kind person.

In respect for John it has been decided to postpone the AutoBarn and Carolinas Aviation Museum Meet for November 18 to a later date.

Notification of memorial services will be forthcoming.

Please keep Sheila and family in your thoughts and prayers,

Russ Roberts

Seawright Funeral Home
    26 E. Main Street
    Inman, SC 29349
    (864) 472-6836
    Website
    Send Flowers
    SERVICE
    Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017
    1:00 PM
    Seawright Funeral Home
    26 E. Main Street
    Inman, SC 29349
    Add To Calendar
    RESOURCES
    More Obituaries for John Dusky
    Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

JOHN EDMUND DUSKY SR.
    1949 - 2017 Obituary Condolences Flowers

John Edmund Dusky Sr. Obituary
    John Edmund Dusky, Sr
    SPARTANBURG-- John Edmund Dusky, Sr, 68, of 1510 John Dodd Road Spartanburg, passed away Saturday, November 11th, 2017.
    John was born in Bethlehem, PA on July 31, 1949, a son of the late Georgina Lipp Dusky and Edmund John Dusky. He was the husband of Sheila Fyfe Dusky of the home. He was a graduate of Villanova University, receiving his degree in Civil Engineering with post graduate work done and receiving a degree in Professional Engineering. He owned his own engineering company, working internationally with the pharmaceutical industry. He also owned a car part business with his son, John, Jr. and friend Dave Hugo. He was the past president of the Palmetto Chapter of the Studebaker Driver's Club and was the past president of SBMOC, a British Car Club in SC. In addition to his wife Sheila, he is survived by a daughter, Barbie Dusky of Inman, a son, John Edmund Dusky, Jr and his wife Frankie of Inman; and two brothers, Edmond Dusky of St. Petersburg, FL and Joseph Michael Dusky of Bath, PA.
    A memorial service will be held at Seawright Funeral Home in Inman, SC, at 1:00 PM on Saturday, November 18th, 2017 .
    In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions should be made to The Studabaker Museum, 201 Chapin Street South Bend, Indiana 46601 or to donate online, go to www.studebakermuseum.org.
    Seawright Funeral Home and Crematory
    Seawright Funeral Homes and Crematory is the ideal choice for your funeral needs. We arrange end-of-life services as well as planning for the future. Serving Inman, SC.

Published in Spartanburg Herald-Journal from Nov. 14 to Nov. 15, 2017
    Read Less
    sigpic

Wow, what a shock. Heard this Sunday. Studebaker folks in the Southeast have lost a great Studebaker resource and a great friend. My memories of John go back to the 1980s when I met him at one of the NCSDC Tri-State Meets. Always looked forward to seeing John and Sheila at Tri-State and other meets.

I have some really sweet memories of Carl Shontz and myself visiting with John and Sheila each year at the Charlotte AutoFair. They always had several swap meet spots at Charlotte, and it was a 'must stop' place for Studebaker folks to take a break, have a cold drink, and talk. (The hot dogs that John and Sheila grilled were good too. )

My prayers go out to Sheila and the family. We will miss you John.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Gulp. I'd never met John, but 68 is just too young! RIP, John... BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Being into Studebaker toys, John and Sheila were always a 'must stop' to talk toys and look at what they had for me at each meet. It was always my choice to 'ignore' John because Sheila would always give me better prices. I'll miss our bantering and good friendship. RIP John. stupak

Comment

Donna and are very sadden to hear this news. We always spent time with John and Sheila at the International Meets. We also always bought something from there display. I would agree with the above post that 68 is way to young.
          Gary Sanders
          Nixa, MO

Comment

This is sad news indeed. Condolences to the family
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Last Sunday, was kind of routine for my wife (Donnie) and myself. An early church service, and then a visit to my Mom (96) at the nursing home. With such a pleasant peaceful unfolding of the day, absolutely nothing could have shattered the calm more abruptly, than the voice message on our answering machine when we arrived home! John Dusky, a friend for over four decades. I don't recall the exact year we met, but I think it was in the late 1970's. Both of us, strong willed and hard headed...always bantering back & forth, teasing and needling each other, but in good nature.

A competent curiosity about how things worked, which he put to good use. A human perpetual motion machine, who was always busy, turning wrenches, gathering parts, organizing parts, selling parts, or buying parts. Rare, was the occasion where you could carry on a conversation with him standing still. Through the years, some club members expressed (to me) a little resentment toward his insisting they take a more active role in club activities. However, though all these years, I know of no one else who worked harder, or put more effort in organizing our small SDC chapter and keeping it active than Sheila and John Dusky.

For a few years, John's career found him moving out of our area. When they returned, he and Sheila picked up where they left off, immediately volunteering for any task where they could serve. Not many of our members lived as close as me. But, with our schedules, projects, and obligations, our moments together were limited. I'm having a little difficulty coming to grips with that. Those friends with whom you find yourself exchanging the phrase..."one day, let's get together and do"...please remember, the opportunity is not going to always be available. My condolences to Sheila and family. We are available for any support, and assistance we can provide and, of course, extend our prayers and friendship.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I am betting a lot of Studebaker folks knew John and did not know his name. Him and Sheila vended at a lot of the international meets. They were somewhat Unique in that they always had a table of literature, tables of promos, a table of Wheel Covers and whatever else John decided to bring. You could always spot him because of this somewhat unique set up. John was friendly and liked to talk.

SDC Swap meets will not be the same without John
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Wow, what a shock. John was always a friendly face at many of the meets I've attended.
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

I'm wearing out the words "wow" and "shocked", but those are what came to my mind when I saw the post.

I met John and Sheila some years ago when he bought a car I had on eBay. I delivered it to him and we spent a lot of time with him and Sheila, got a tour of his estate and commercial buildings, rode in his long wheelbase Avanti, saw his personal toys and more. We always looked him up at swap meets and the Internationals, usually chatted with Sheila because John was off looking for deals or whatever. He kept after us to come back down and spend some time at his place on the lake (which we never seemed to get around to). I know we talked to both of them at the last International at South Bend, but I can't remember if they were at the last York.

Thanks Wolfie for posting this sad news. We might otherwise never have known.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

John Edmund Dusky, Sr
                      SPARTANBURG-- John Edmund Dusky, Sr, 68, of 1510 John Dodd Road Spartanburg, passed away Saturday, November 11th, 2017.
                      John was born in Bethlehem, PA on July 31, 1949, a son of the late Georgina Lipp Dusky and Edmund John Dusky. He was the husband of Sheila Fyfe Dusky of the home. He was a graduate of Villanova University, receiving his degree in Civil Engineering with post graduate work done and receiving a degree in Professional Engineering. He owned his own engineering company, working internationally with the pharmaceutical industry. He also owned a car part business with his son, John, Jr. and friend Dave Hugo. He was the past president of the Palmetto Chapter of the Studebaker Driver's Club and was the past president of SBMOC, a British Car Club in SC. In addition to his wife Sheila, he is survived by a daughter, Barbie Dusky of Inman, a son, John Edmund Dusky, Jr and his wife Frankie of Inman; and two brothers, Edmond Dusky of St. Petersburg, FL and Joseph Michael Dusky of Bath, PA.
                      A memorial service will be held at Seawright Funeral Home in Inman, SC, at 1:00 PM on Saturday, November 18th, 2017 .
                      In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions should be made to The Studabaker Museum, 201 Chapin Street South Bend, Indiana 46601
                      Jack White
                      Charlotte,NC
                      North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
                      X