Thread: 1961 Champ Truck Steering Box Rebuild

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar

1961 Champ Truck Steering Box Rebuild

My mechanic is telling me that my heavy and vague steering is due to a worn out steering box.
    I searched this forum for any past threads on this but could find none.
    I need some advice on obtaining the parts (I have a parts and repair manual). Also tips on rebuilding the box.
    Anyone here done this before? Where on earth can I find the parts and gaskets?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    Ed, One of the vendors should have the side cover gasket. When you get that in hand, pop the cover off and look inside and see how bad the ware is. I one time bought another steering box to rebuild and it was worse than the one in my truck. Motion industries and vendors of Stude parts will have most of what you need.

President Member
    at the very least replace the bushings and seals. The bushings will be worn, causing the shaft to move enough that the seal will leak. Replace other hard parts as needed. Rebuild and adjust the box per the maint manual then use the correct lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    My mechanic is telling me that my heavy and vague steering is due to a worn out steering box.
    I searched this forum for any past threads on this but could find none.
    I need some advice on obtaining the parts (I have a parts and repair manual). Also tips on rebuilding the box.
    Anyone here done this before? Where on earth can I find the parts and gaskets?

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

President Member
    and ..... if you're running radials, don't be surprised at accelerated steering component failure....