Thread: Carb to air cleaner adapter

Commander Member

Carb to air cleaner adapter

Howdy guys!

I recently bought a Carter AS 1 barrel for my 61 Lark OHV 6. When I bought the car it had a Rochester Model B on it, I was then informed that it shouldn't have that, which made sense since the stock air cleaner didn't fit on it.

Now that I have the Carter, how am I supposed to get the air cleaner on it? The funneled spot sits up into the air cleaner and the air cleaner hits the auto choke. Not only that but how is it supposed to stay attached if it did sit in there? I know there has to be something.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like you need an adapter. Which one depends on the air cleaner you are using.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 52-fan View Post
    Sounds like you need an adapter. Which one depends on the air cleaner you are using.
    I have the 0303-1b, so the corresponding adapter should be 0303-2b? How should I get ahold of this piece?

Thanks!
    Ryan

Illustration number 0303-1B matches to part number 1547564. The matching adapter is actually illustration number 0303-2A which for a 61 six cylinder is part 1549362. I would guess Studebaker International or Steven Allen may have new ones or there are lots of used ones around.
    Last edited by 52-fan; 11-15-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Searcy, Arkansas

Commander Member
    Illustration number 0303-1B matches to part number 1547564. The matching adapter is actually illustration number 0303-2A which for a 61 six cylinder is part 1547708. I would guess Studebaker International or Steven Allen may have new ones or there are lots of used ones around.
    The 2nd number that you said is supposed to be for the car isn't on Steven Allen's website or Stude International. Should I call him or could your number be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by StarDiero75 View Post
    The 2nd number that you said is supposed to be for the car isn't on Steven Allen's website or Stude International. Should I call him or could your number be wrong?
    You're right. I jumped down one line. The correct part number is 1549362. The one I first gave you was for a 59 4 barrel. I will go back and edit it so someone searching later will not get the wrong one.
    In any case, for some of the small parts like this you may have to call and ask. They often have parts that have not been listed in the catalog.

Searcy, Arkansas

Commander Member
    You're right. I jumped down one line. The correct part number is 1549362. The one I first gave you was for a 59 4 barrel. I will go back and edit it so someone searching later will not get the wrong one.
    In any case, for some of the small parts like this you may have to call and ask. They often have parts that have not been listed in the catalog.
    Oh Great! Thank you very much Man!

President Member
    I have part you need. Took it off of an AS carb. Recently installed 259 so don't need it. Been powder coated shiney black. Send your address and I'll send it to you. N/C
    Kim