TW extra money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TW extra money

Just a thought but if we are going to save $15000.00 a year by changing the TW format . Would the national exec . consider putting out a new national roster at least every two years ?? I for one would be willing to put a deposit on one today .They could start a needed to print list for those wanting one in August of the previous year . Who else would be willing . I think it should be published and distributed early spring ( Beginning March ) . Any one else have some positive thoughts on this subject ???

Old Fart

Personally, I think the traditional roster is about as obsolete as a goat wagon is to today's transportation industry. Really, with today's electronic data exchange, why would we spend one dime toward a roster that is outdated before it can get printed and published? If any roster is to be published, I would hope we would develop, (for members only) an "interactive" roster, tied to membership data, and "interactive" by allowing members to access their membership data, with full control over what information is shared with other members. Then, as new members join, move, pass away, renew, or leave the organization, they or family members would have the opportunity to electronically "update" their status immediately!

With computer programming, those whose membership has "lapsed," could be automatically shown as "inactive." I know that there are some members who don't own a computer. I have some good friends that couldn't even turn one on, or know what to do if they did. The sad truth is that anyone who has yet to learn, at least, elementary computer basics by now, is "FUNCTIONALLY ILLITERATE" for negotiating much of today's society. I'm that way (by choice) with venues like face book, twitter, etc. However, I do know how to post on forums, e mail, shop, pay bills, etc. using a computer.

My thought is that we should move forward to develop a secure "members only," interactive, real time roster, where the information available is fully controlled by each individual member. To do otherwise, is like spending tons of money on things like the dozens of obsolete, long forgotten little tin meet dash plaques...rusted over, unreadable, forgotten on a termite eaten board in my drafty pole-barn.

Once a print roster is out there, it is...well... just there. Within two weeks, I have had several friends pass away. Only one lived close by. However, with today's electronic communication, I was informed in a rather timely manner. If these were SDC members, and I went to a print roster to call one up, I could suddenly find myself in the unexpected awkward position of trying to console a distraught family member. Somewhere, I have an old roster that reads more like an archive obituary list, and probably very few "landline" phone numbers remain legitimate.

I'm all for a Roster, but one we can access with some reasonable reliability, and not have to remember what dusty shelf to find it on. Not to completely dismiss the value of a roster, but this being a "forum," I'm offering a point of view. My "illiterate" comment is stated in a factual sense, and not intended as derogatory. I have learned from experience, how rapid any of us can fall into technological illiteracy on a given subject. This very post, could easily reveal that I am "clueless," and have unrealistic expectations of our electronic capabilities, but I'm willing to take the risk in order to give others the opportunity to educate me.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well put John . There are however still wanting some things to stay the same like live tellers at your bank . I do wish though when I am looking for something on google I would expect to find some sort of answer and not go here or there and still don't get an answer so in my opinion this modern day techno.stuff sometimes stinks . For example I googled " any Studebaker 2R5 trucks for sale in Canada . Don't get me started on what was thrown around . So for some of us we like to have something we put in our hands and use our thumbs to find what we want . You do however have a point in that the members should have more control as to what info they want of themselves on the roster and should have reasonable reliability of information presented.

Comment

Interesting idea, John. Maybe it could be accessible to members via their phone so if they are travelling and need to contact an individual, or just find out which members live in a particular State they can sort by State. Also by last name, first name, etc.
        I am computer literate and reluctantly use a smart phone. I do NOT use Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media by choice. But I know how to access e-mail and certain websites on my phone.
        I believe this idea has been discussed on this forum before, however, it has not yet gained any traction.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Okay, here is my $0.02 worth on a roster: When last issued I purchased both paper and the CD. I find I never use the paper but I do/did use the CD version which I copied to my laptop (only computer I use). John has a very good idea for a long term solution but, like the version available for every TW issue published on a almost thumb nail size memory chip I think it would be both easy, cost effective, and very well received to make something similar available about our current members. Yes, it is out of date the next day but I think most of us can live with that if we had a regular update issued.
          For what it is worth.
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
            /Cut/Interesting idea, John. Maybe it could be accessible to members via their phone so if they are travelling and need to contact an individual, or just find out which members live in a particular State they can sort by State. Also by last name, first name, etc./Cut/
            There you GO! There will be an "APP" for that!!!!!!!

OH NO, we don't want to go to 2017 Technology!

StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'd prefer on-line vs. paper.

-- Scott
              64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

My Roster is 2011/2012 with plenty of updates written in & have had them all the way back so look forward to an updated issue during 2018 please.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thanks for all of the comments on the roster. If you are an SDC member, you already have access to the most up tp date roster the club has. On the SDC website on the far left side of the header line you will see a MEMBERS ONLY SECTION. If you are an SDC member all you have to do is register to use this section which requires your membership number. In that area you will find an up-to*date roster. I use it all of the time and it's a great tool. Got questions email me.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Don,
                    The "Members" tab on my screen is on the right, not the left; and it links to my membership information but has no link to any other club information.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad,

My fault it is on the right. Once you log in on the right side of the header is a block that says "Resources" with a down arrow beside it. Put your cursor on the arrow and the pull down window will appear and several options will be shown. The third one down reads "search member database". Click on it and follow the easy steps on the screen and you can find the member you are looking for. For those who do not belong to SDC this area is not available to you. To SDC members you must register to enter and that's a very simple process as shown on the first screen in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                        Brad,

My fault it is on the right. Once you log in on the right side of the header is a block that says "Resources" with a down arrow beside it. Put your cursor on the arrow and the pull down window will appear and several options will be shown. The third one down reads "search member database". Click on it and follow the easy steps on the screen and you can find the member you are looking for. For those who do not belong to SDC this area is not available to you. To SDC members you must register to enter and that's a very simple process as shown on the first screen in this area.
                        Not on mine. When I logged on, went to "Resources"... the third one down reads, "2015 IM Survey"

There is no option for "search member database."
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My screen is the same as mentioned in post #12

Comment

I like a paper copy for a car in case of travelling distances in a Studebaker.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

I'll find out why some do have access and some don't. That's interesting. Sorry for the confusion and who knows maybe all will have it soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X