Thread: 1950 Automobiles by Floyd Clymer

1950 Automobiles by Floyd Clymer

I bought this book years ago shortly after I bought my 1950 Commander. It's a good book full of pictures and specs for all the American cars built in 1950.
    Yesterday I was going through the specs in the back of the book, and came across "Battery Ground", and of the 34 different car makes listed, 22 of them had positive ground. With almost twice as many with positive ground compared to negative ground, it seems strange that they all settled on negative ground when they went to 12 volts just a few years later.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1950-Fl...wAAOSwc2FaCI5k

Clymer 1950.jpg

Floyd Clymer's publications were always interesting reading. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ll=1&styleid=1 I recall reading some of my dad's old copies several years ago, and only wished kept them.

Craig

Silver Hawk Member
    There are some good physics reasons for negative ground, but I think that the switch may also have been driven by a desire to standardize polarity industry-wide. I am so old that I was already driving when the switch occurred, and remember learning very early to check the polarity when jump-starting a vehicle. All my friends drove semi-clunkers, and we all carried jumper cables wherever we went. Jump starting a stranger's car in a parking lot was also common.

President Member
    When I was a kid you could buy any early 50's car for around 50 bucks (the secret was coming up with 50 whole dollars).....they all had bald tires and bad batteries, but they ran. Agree that having jumper cables was a requirement (or friends to help push start).
    Mike Sal

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    There are some good physics reasons for negative ground, but I think that the switch may also have been driven by a desire to standardize polarity industry-wide. I am so old that I was already driving when the switch occurred, and remember learning very early to check the polarity when jump-starting a vehicle. All my friends drove semi-clunkers, and we all carried jumper cables wherever we went. Jump starting a stranger's car in a parking lot was also common.
    I can remember doing the opposite (jump starting my car from a stranger's car) in the 1950s. One night I came out of a bar and my car wouldn't start. I simply opened the hood of my car and the car parked next to mine (I had no idea who owned it) and jump started my car. Not something that I would advise anyone to do.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I can remember doing the opposite (jump starting my car from a stranger's car) in the 1950s.
    Yes, I did a lot of that, too -- shoulda included it in my post. I once drove for almost a year with a dead battery -- always parked on a hill or next to someone I knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sal View Post
    When I was a kid you could buy any early 50's car for around 50 bucks
    I could have had an early 20's touring for $75 when I was a kid. And turned down a Porsche 356 hardtop cabriolet for $50 when I was sixteen!

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Yes, I did a lot of that, too -- shoulda included it in my post. I once drove for almost a year with a dead battery -- always parked on a hill or next to someone I knew.
    I thought two of my lawn tractor batteries were shot, as I had to jump start them all of July.
    One day I left the 6 amp battery charger on each one for a day, and both have worked great since then.
    I don't get that lucky with car batteries though, but that miracle juice in the blue bottle did bring my 52 Land Cruiser battery back to life until a neighbor punk stole it a month later.