Packard powered Transtar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard powered Transtar

Got the Packard engine back in, and remade the motor, and tranny mounts. The originals were too shade tree for me, and over built. Got the engine fired, but it only moves in reverse. It seems when I rebuilt the trans I installed the one way clutch backwards. Now I have to drop the driveshaft, and pull the overdrive housing off, and turn the one way clutch around. I am still waiting on a custom made aluminum radiator. They told me it was prone to overheating when it was hot out. Barry
    Last edited by 58 Transtar; 11-11-2017, 06:01 PM.

If it was prone to overheating in warm weather, I'll venture a guess that it has the earlier EGGE pistons, and clearance was set to factory spec. The earlier EGGEs often varied in size, in excess of .001", in a set of eight. They also did not have expansion plates, as did the OEM pistons. Factory spec is about .0015" clearance, so you can see the problem. For the earlier EGGEs to work, they should be installed at .0025" to .003" clearance, and each piston fitted to each hole. I understand the later EGGE pistons have much less size variance, and they have OEM style expansion plates.

I hate to say it, but you may wanna drop the pan and look at the underside of the pistons. If they are early EGGEs, you may wanna replace them with modern EGGEs. Or, you could totally disassemble the block and bore the holes individually, to accommodate the early EGGEs. The last set of early EGGEs I installed, were at .002"-.0025, and it took over 20,000 miles for the motor to cool down. The first 5000 miles are critical, as it will run VERY warm, even in cool weather, with an excellent radiator.

Comment

The engine is completely rebuilt with original Packard 374 pistons, not Egge. It was originally a 352, but I bored it .125 over. This truck was fitted with a Thermo-King A/C unit, and still had the 259 Stude radiator. It also had the condensor mounted tight to the radiator, which is a no no. The aluminum radiator, and condenser mounted 1 inch away from the radiator will stop the overheating. Barry

Comment

When you wrote, "They told me it was prone to overheating when it was hot out." I thought you were picking up where someone else had left off. Clearly you have the situation well in hand. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X